Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Purduevian

I don't think it runs over, perhaps along side or within easy sight, if you wish. Of course, back in the day when the Skyway was open in MK, they used invisible gondola's so that no one's sensibility concerning immersion would be affected.

Please, if you are going to disagree with something that can be easily looked up one way or the other, at least take a few minutes to google it to prove yourself right or wrong before posting. Right over the France Expansion, aka no Avengers gondolas on this line (although they would be aloud on DHS and AOA/POP lines):

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
We rode the Skyliner last night again and we still love it. Saw Epcot Forever fireworks from our cabin. I'm glad it's running again.

Last month we flew back from Beijing with Delta and we were seated for 5 hours before our plane finally lifted off to start the 11 hour flight. We stood on the runway for over 3 hours, and people were not allowed to get up as we kept being told we could leave any minute. 16 hours on a plane was pretty bad, but everyone stayed calm. These things happen. I guess that being stuck in a cable car cabin for 3 hours is more claustrophobic, and not knowing what is going on must have been very frustrating. I hope that Disney has learned that next time they should 1. turn off the automated message, and 2. keep people updated regularly through the communication system. That should be an easy fix and help a lot.

Last month in China we took the longest cable car in the world, at Tianmen Mountain. It is 7.5 km. I can't imagine what would happen in case of an incident there. It would be impossible to rescue anyone from the ground, as I assume is the case with most of these systems in mountainous areas.

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

Goofyernmost

Please, if you are going to disagree with something that can be easily looked up one way or the other, at least take a few minutes to google it to prove yourself right or wrong before posting. Right over the France Expansion, aka no Avengers gondolas on this line (although they would be aloud on DHS and AOA/POP lines):
View attachment 419108

I guess you told me. I shall now slink away in shame! Thanks for the correction though.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
We rode the Skyliner last night again and we still love it. Saw Epcot Forever fireworks from our cabin. I'm glad it's running again.

Last month we flew back from Beijing with Delta and we were seated for 5 hours before our plane finally lifted off to start the 11 hour flight. We stood on the runway for over 3 hours, and people were not allowed to get up as we kept being told we could leave any minute. 16 hours on a plane was pretty bad, but everyone stayed calm. These things happen. I guess that being stuck in a cable car cabin for 3 hours is more claustrophobic, and not knowing what is going on must have been very frustrating. I hope that Disney has learned that next time they should 1. turn off the automated message, and 2. keep people updated regularly through the communication system. That should be an easy fix and help a lot.

Last month in China we took the longest cable car in the world, at Tianmen Mountain. It is 7.5 km. I can't imagine what would happen in case of an incident there. It would be impossible to rescue anyone from the ground, as I assume is the case with most of these systems in mountainous areas.

View attachment 419114

View attachment 419115
I see three cables. Does anyone know if the one in the middle is used for maintanance/rescue? @Lift Blog

Goofyernmost

Not all anxiety problems constitutes with being suspended in a gondola and being stuck there.
Amazing expansion of a simple observation. That person must have known that they might have a problem being closed up in a box suspended under a wire. I don't have a problem with people that don't realize that they will have a problem it is the ones that "wonder" if they will be alright. That thought comes from somewhere. I wouldn't hesitate to ride them because I have never had any problem like that. If I had a similar problem even if not the same, if it caused me a moment of doubt I would not ride them.

tissandtully

I don't know how dumb you gotta be to think you have to call to notify Disney that the Skyliner has stopped or thi
I've been stuck for close to an hour at Kitzbuhel, Austria and for about 30 minutes at Stowe. But nobody had a panic attack, and called emergency services, and thus the stoppage was not prolonged by a rescue operation.

View attachment 419114

View attachment 419115
That one looks crazy, is that Doppelmayr as well?

Heppenheimer

Different audience.
Why should we automatically expect Disney guests to be so much less emotionally resilient than any other large group of people on vacation? I should also add that the stoppage I referenced at Kitsbuhel happened during a long holiday weekend, when lots of families were visiting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As the anxiety levels rise among onboard guests, the situation can turn into an emergency very quickly. Reports that I've seen said that two people (on different gondolas) went unconscious during their ordeal. That constitutes a medical emergency. And until medical help can arrive, someone needs to monitor the pulse and respiration of those unconscious victims.

Just report your situation to 911 and let them make the call.
Again, If it’s an emergency call 911. Your original post said if people are stuck and feel they aren’t getting enough info from Disney they should light up 911. That’s wrong. They should light up Disney’s customer service line. Calling 911 is only for an emergency, not to complain. I don’t care if it’s 5 minutes or 5 hours. It’s obvious that people knew they were trapped up there. There were CMs and other guests everywhere. It’s not like someone getting trapped in an elevator and calling 911 because they don’t know if anyone realizes they are in there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, one good thing about the Skyliner is that they'll be able to give everyone who called 911 without an emergency a citation as they step off at the nearest station.
I don’t think they need to go that far but it’s irresponsible to advocate people making a call to 911 because they are frustrated with a lack of information or the speed of the repair.

Not that anyone really listens to me anyway, but if you are on the gondolas and they get stuck don’t call 911 unless you really need emergency responders right away. Call Disney, call the non-emergency police number, call your therapist, call your lawyer to start the paperwork on your lawsuit...just leave the 911 operators to deal with life and death emergencies.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Different audience.

I don't understand this attitude I keep seeing in this thread that guests are not responsible for their actions simply because they are at Disney World. People need to get over this belief/attitude that once they cross under that arch on the way to the property you are no longer responsible for your actions and blame Disney for their own behavior. As many have said above, 911 is for actual emergencies, not to complain, not to find out what's going on- full stop. And being uncomfortable on a gondola is not an emergency. What if someone else, somewhere else on the property had a medical emergency while they were tying up the operators complaining about being stuck on the gondola and they could not get through.

Each and every one of these guests is responsible for how they personally reacted to this event and the impact their actions had on all of the other guests stuck during the event. You don't surrender your responsibility to be a reasonable member of the world just because you are at WDW. It's yet another example of entitled guests demanding that Disney do whatever they what the minute they want it and then complaining to everyone around them when that didn't happen.

Last edited:

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I need to sign up for additional life insurance and my will updated before riding this suicide in the sky.

I actually didn’t think too much about anything going wrong when we did these cable cars in China. Now that people were stuck at Disney I wonder how often this happens in the mountains.

Some of these cable cars are pretty old too. We rode the car below at the Great Wall at Mutianyu that was used by Bill Clinton in 1998, so that one is over 20 years old.

3FFF884E-FE95-4016-AA4C-052AAD88E78B.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom