What's the deal with the Haunted Mansion?

ppete1975

To me its the ballroom scene and some other effects that are just really unique. Especially if you are young and dont know how it works. Also for the big fans that know every word. There is something about the narrator and the script that makes you warm inside. Although i think a short closure and clean would be nice (several rides could use that though.. im looking at you space mountain).
My question is how old were you when you first rode it. I have a friend who doesn’t get it either but he was an adult the first time he rode it. While some of the people who love it were children when they first rode it. 😊. And theres def some nostalgia to it.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I would not say there is a cult following.

MANY people enjoy HM because its a fun dark ride and its CLASSIC.

There's also some nostalgia for me because as a child my mom, my one sister, and I would sit in a doom buggy and my other sister and dad would sit in the one behind us and my dad would always knock on the back of ours to "scare" us which we found fun not scary because my parents made sure we understood it was supposed to be a fun scary ride.

I have also always been in love with the ballroom scene.

And those freaky words "Hurry ba-ack, Hurry ba-ack, Don't forget your death certificate, we've been dying to have you" oh those words are music to my ears muahahaha.

KevinPage

520F161A-5AF2-46FA-AB53-05CEDC5CA259.jpeg

Fable McCloud

Haunted Mansion was the very first attraction I ever went on. I was in my early 20's and really into Pirates, and the first PoTC movie had just come out. My parents finally got us to WDW and we went to MK at night. My mom asked "do you wanna ride Pirates?" and I said, "it's dark, why don't we ride the Haunted Mansion?" After that moment, a lifelong addiction started. Ever subsequent trip it has been my first and last ride of every day at MK, and my husband rode it with me on his first trip, then proposed right after.

It's like asking anyone why they feel attachment to any given ride. Some people just gravitate to certain things. If you ride it OP, and then say "it was good, but I don't get it," that's okay :) You may have a favorite ride that other people have that same response to. That's what's so great about the parks; they have something for everyone. Personally, I still don't get what people like about Country Bear Jamboree, but there you go.

Over all, HM is just a really tight, atmospheric ride that doesn't look like the cheap scary rides at carnivals. Spooky fun for all ages, and a nice cool place to get out of the sun and take in some classic Disney Imagineering.

Mickey5150

The more important question would be if all attraction openings were flipped and Galaxy's edge was 50 years old and Haunted Mansion was brand new, would we still feel the same way about it?

NickMaio

I know that the Haunted Mansion is a cult favorite among many Disney fans but, my question is why? I have never understood the appeal and I'm interested to know why people love it so much. I'm not saying it's a bad ride, rather, I find that it just isn't for me. Let me know what ya'll think!
It's a fun dark ride that is full of WDW nostalgia. Just like Pirates and Jungle Cruise.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To me its the ballroom scene and some other effects that are just really unique. Especially if you are young and dont know how it works. Also for the big fans that know every word. There is something about the narrator and the script that makes you warm inside. Although i think a short closure and clean would be nice (several rides could use that though.. im looking at you space mountain).
My question is how old were you when you first rode it. I have a friend who doesn’t get it either but he was an adult the first time he rode it. While some of the people who love it were children when they first rode it. 😊. And theres def some nostalgia to it.

I rode it for the first time as an adult.

Stellajack

Premium Member
Because it is one of the few long rides in the dark and cool that takes a limited number of people per car so you aren't forced to sit with strangers. not to mention for most of the ride the guest gets the sense that they are the only ones there because the color of the doom buggies makes it seem as if no one else is there to bother you for most of the ride. That is why we enjoy it.
Except, of course, for those hijacking "happy haunts" in your doom buggy! :jawdrop: :joyfull:

Michaelson

I have to say it's my favorite for all the reasons already listed so well above, but there has to be something else that none of us can put our finger on.

Why do I say that?

Well, we took our 4 year old grandson on it last February. He wanted to ride it 3 times, which we did. When we watch YouTube videos of WDW rides, first he wants to watch Everest, then HM, which he calls 'Mr./Mr Gracey's house' (don't ask me why two 'misters'. Everything that has to do with HM, and I mean everything, is called 'Mr/Mr. Gracey's house.)

He knows the names of all three hitch hiking ghosts. He calls Madam Leona 'the lady in the bubble'.

Now HE doesn't have all the reasons or track record WE have in loving the ride, and yet he's just as hooked as WE are at 4! Why?

I don't know, but it crosses generations.

Regards! Michaelson

Last edited:

DRC68

Like many have said, the amount of detail is over the top. Factor in the the vast majority of the effects were designed and built before digital was commonplace. Add some fantastic CM's and you've got a classic attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom