News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

SplashJacket

This.

I love walking through the land. I didn't even ride Smuggler's the first time (honestly? I had little interest, was never my dream to fly the Falcon ...). But the land itself is incredibly detailed and well done. It's basically a love letter to Star Wars fans but they're too stubborn to appreciate it.

There's a significant lack of things to do. In my first run through I never saw any characters or shows going on. I know they exist but you really could "blink and miss them". There needs to be more. Not everyone's going to be shelling out $200 or $100 for an "experience".

Oga's is also a tad overrated and also very small. They really messed up here and they have to know it.

The land's failure or success has absolutely nothing to do with the 'OT' trilogy being present (last I checked all old characters were in the new films, were they not? Does Chewie not walk around? Is R2 not in the droid depot?). It's just Star Wars fans who don't like the new films whining, IMHO. Seeing 20 year old Luke played by a checked out 30 year old isn't going to make the land better.

While it's great to hear the invisible ships in the distance, they need some kinetics in the land that move and interact. The third ride (while maybe not practical from a ride or capacity standpoint) would add another layer of something to see. It really helps Toy Story Land that Slinky is there, and you can watch Swirling Saucers. And the characters are visible meeting and greeting. I don't want set lines for characters in SW Land though.

I also feel like TSL could have done more in terms of immersing you. They really shouldn't have cut the scenes around the coaster. Imagine them coming to life as you zoom by instead of static figures (Rex/Jessie)?

Little things go a long way and it's the little things being cut.

Where's the Cantina band roaming the land playing familiar music? If you don't want background music (which I agree with but I know fans are using that as an example of why it sucks) then do this!

And STOP BUDGET CUTTING. What does it get you, executives? You have to in turn spend MORE money to make up for it. Just ... stop it.

I agree, TSL while clearly inferior, works because it feels alive. It is loud with a lot of movement.

When I went to Star Wars land it was absolutely filled with people, but with exception to the very loud fans blowing, it was relatively quiet. The land is static but beautiful. It is like going on a hike and stumbling upon a waterfall, but it makes no sound, and there are no birds chirping or flying overhead.

Avatar. despite no obvious movement, feels far more alive. Maybe because of the water features?

Pandora's use of ambient sounds walking through the land is phenomenal. In Pandora, you are not going to look into the bushes if you hear a bug chirp.

Star Wars land has a lot of ambient sounds but they feel fake because if you hear a plane soaring by you are going to look up and see nothing.

Originally, they were going to add drone ships to Galaxy's Edge. This would have solved the issues with the land feeling dead far more than anything else, including the scrapped C-Ticket attraction. The drone ships would not fix all of the land's problems but in association with Rise the two most glaring faults with the land will be resolved. Lack of things do to and the land feeling dead.

Kman101

From what I've seen online, the visuals of the land are detailed and stunning. And I need to see it and experience it first-hand before making any definitive statements, but, based off of the pamphlet my wife brought home from her visit last month, not having 12-14 places to spend money vs. 1 currently open ride, with 1 ride coming soon, would be a good place to start.

You have several sentences to that effect, I think we're close to being on the same page here. But I will say I'm not fan of setting something like this in the "Disney SW universe", where there is lip service paid to the OT characters that made the franchise as popular as it is/was. To me, that shows a misguided direction and lack of understanding of the core product and fanbase.

We do seem to be mostly on the same page. I actually really enjoyed the small stalls of merchandise and what was offered inside of them. It's not like there's 12 gigantic stores (which could also be a problem because when I was there it was crowded and very hard to navigate the small stores and the best themed one, Doks, had a line out the door ...)

But it is a turn off when you open a new land (that's incredibly themed, so I wish some would appreciate that more) and there's a strip mall, several food places and more stores, plus a very small bar. It's basically a mini mall themed to Star Wars with a simulator ride (and you'd have to really want to have piloted the falcon, IMO, to even care about riding it because the plot isn't it).

Rise of the Resistance will no doubt help. I don't think Florida's version is suffering as much as Disneyland's (which doesn't fit the park at all, really, so I get the lack of interest from the DL fans). SW, Marvel, Frozen ... should all have been a new park for DL. Do the 'ports' thing ... not hard.

It was never going to be a massive hit at Disneyland. I thought that from the start. And plus, the hidden entrances apparently don't help (which I do believe because guests half of the time wonder where the Potter ride is at Hollywood Studios ... so ...)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What could they have done with the Falcon to make it better? Just curious from your perspective. What would make you say "man I HAVE to ride this" because I sure don't have that feeling of "I HAVE to ride this" ... lol.
Better and brighter graphics. Less distractions in trying to “control” things (as pilot I had no chance to get used to the control before needing to use it) and most of all characters and stories from the real Star Wars. IMHO of course.

Kman101

Story. Fire on an imperial cruiser, visit Jakku and ride through the ruined ships, have a space monster chase after you. Something a bit more familiar. I'd hope this can still be added in the future. Maybe they are holding back until after the last movie.

Yeah, the story is ... not good. LOL. I also think a lot of guests just don't care to be stressed out on the attraction. Many just want to enjoy it and not have to push buttons and interact. I appreciate what they were trying to by giving fans their dream of "piloting the Falcon" but they did seem to miss the mark on this one once you actually board.

I also have to wonder if lower waits for it is simply because it's fairly good capacity wise? And it obviously benefits from not having fast pass (which most bloggers leave out when they try and suggest the lack of line is due to lack of popularity, and we know that's not always the case). I bet it shoots up to Flight of Passage waits if they ever introduce FastPass.

Kman101

Better and brighter graphics. Less distractions in trying to “control” things (as pilot I had no chance to get used to the control before needing to use it) and most of all characters and stories from the real Star Wars. IMHO of course.

I was with ya until the last bit. I get that one is a personal preference. Not being snarky but would seeing dead Han Solo make it better? But a better plot and less "this is a video game" graphics would no doubt help a ton. I agree on the lack of being able to get used to what you're doing. It's not fun that way, personally. It can be a stressful experience. I get what they were trying to do but like I said above, they clearly missed the mark.

I don't think paying lipservice to the original trilogy helps the land. If you don't enjoy the theming, does adding them really make it better? And to be fair, Star Tours does this better.

flyerjab

Disclaimer; this is my view of the Anaheim version but I was asked to post in both forums.

Its big. As a design the buildings look great. Huge amount of detail. As a land it’s odd. The rise area is almost like it is not part of the land. This isn’t helped by the landscaped berm; it gives the whole area an unfinished feeling. You go from elaborately detailed alleyways to a wasteland with lamp posts.

As I said we found the buildings to be hugely detailed inside and out. We walked around, looked inside and out, walked the market area and yes, it’s a market. No, they didn’t get one dime from us. I felt strangely unaffected by being in Star Wars Land. I had no connection. I was a huge fan as a kid, and still am to a certain degree. Maybe it’s IP fatigue. Maybe it’s because it’s the Disney version and not the “real” version. We were also lucky to be toured by someone from Glendale who worked on the majority of the land and an gained interesting insight into it and it’s details.

The Falcon ride... again, it’a big. Again, I felt disconnected. It’s the Disney version. We wanted to be mentored by Han Solo and have Vader chasing us. Again, detail was everywhere but to what end? We felt the overall experience to be lacklustre. The boarding cards weren’t explained. The plot was confusing (and a Disney plot). I was a pilot and got lucky; other party members were sat further back and complained of the view (or lack of). My biggest gripe aside from plot was the projection system. It’s too dark. On Star Tours anything naturally lit (like a planets surface) is blindingly bright. On this it’s muddling mediocre. It all seemed false, like the projection it is. And I know how it works and how complex the system is, this isn’t just an uninformed comment. Explosions should be blinding and crisp. They just looked like being projected by a worn out projector. Overall I expected more (and Ive said on these boards in the past). The queue was a D. The ride... a D. Just. Which came as a surprise knowing the engineering complexities behind it. We had no desire to ride again, even when the wait time was consistently lower than the parks E tickets.

Overall, it felt like a land trying to please to hard. Not enough to actually do beyond the fluff. Rise will go some way to remedy this (it’s virtually ready; the dates are a corporate decision) but some of the bigger issues run deeper. We ended up visiting the land more to use it as a path from Frontierland to Critter Country more than we did to go in it.

I agree with you on several points. The scale and theming of the land is impressive. There is no denying that. But there is also an emptiness to it. It’s like an intense paint by numbers piece of art that lacks emotion. There are great spaces but no people inhabiting them. You can really tell that this land has been robbed of its impact by removing the droids and other roaming characters.

Also, the timeline that this land is based in doesn’t have the cultural relevance that the OT does. Simply put: imagine if Universal, in the middle of the Harry Potter craze, built a wizarding school we never heard of and had characters in it not from the original Potter books. How would the fan base have reacted to that?

This land will struggle until it is at least fleshed out more. If RotR is an absolute knockout of a ride, that will go a long way to making this a better overall experience. Also, add the TS and make it a signature dining experience. And have a band that plays cantina music we are familiar with, NOT the music played currently in Oga’s.

I think that the other real issue is that to fully enjoy what is currently being offered you either have to be well off or have saved a really long time. For entry, a lightsaber and a droid you need around $400!!! For one person! This is where I agree with @marni1971 . Right now, aside from the Falcon, you can eat and walk around and that is it, unless you are willing to pay a lot of money. Oga’s is expensive and small, so many visitors won’t be able to experience it; and face it, having a drink in a Star Wars cantina is something most SW fans have been dying to do. Your other options are upcharges for droids or lightsabers - and the lightsabers you can’t even carry around openly after paying $200!

For me, I appreciate the effort put in to everything. However, to me there are some real strategic blunders that were made. Hopefully they keep adding to it to make it better.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was with ya until the last bit. I get that one is a personal preference. Not being snarky but would seeing dead Han Solo make it better?
He wouldn’t be dead if he were alive. I’ve had enough of being force fed the Disney version of the Lucas films. Set the land and the ride after ep 5 or ep 6.

As it is I have no emotional connection to the experience. It is hollow and empty to me. As well as the problems that I noted above. The disappointment surprised me. I wanted to love it but couldn’t.

WDW Pro

He wouldn’t be dead if he were alive. I’ve had enough of being force fed the Disney version of the Lucas films. Set the land and the ride after ep 5 or ep 6.

As it is I have no emotional connection to the experience. It is hollow and empty to me. As well as the problems that I noted above. The disappointment surprised me. I wanted to love it but couldn’t.

Amen.

britain

I hear you, but I really see the inclusion of Hondo to be a concession for prequel-era kids. It could have easily been Maz Kanada if they really wanted to only push Disney's SW properties.

WDW Guru

Just curious. Hypothetically if Ep IX bombed or didn't do well with the fans, could we see the land be fitted to take place during the OT rather then the ST?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I hear you, but I really see the inclusion of Hondo to be a concession for prequel-era kids. It could have easily been Maz Kanada if they really wanted to only push Disney's SW properties.
I had no idea who he was until I asked a friend. I thought it was a car manufacturer. The AA may have been one of the attractions highlights.

Was he in the prequels?

britain

Just curious. Hypothetically if Ep IX bombed or didn't do well with the fans, could we see the land be fitted to take place during the OT rather then the ST?

If Disney ever comes to the conclusion that the OT is the only place to strike Star Wars gold, then they'll begin charting a course to remake the OT!

Fortunately, IX bombing is unlikely. And future films will take place in different eras with new characters.

I was born in '77. I'm a OT Star Wars kid. But the franchise has to be able to grow beyond Han/Luke/Leia if it is going to be enduringly relevant to future generations who will not watch anything more than 10 years old.

Epcot_Imagineer

Set the land and the ride after ep 5 or ep 6.
I find myself for the first time disagreeing with a Martin opinion :eek:. Question for you though, @marni1971 -- Do you know what happened to the ships you kept hinting at? Given that its been awhile since opening I'm venturing to say either it was cut, or it is apart of the more interactivity that has yet to be seen that you've also talked of.

trainplane3

It isn't just you. I was expecting to be blown away by the land. It's beautifully put together but it feels bland somehow. One of my friends is a big Star Wars fan too and there was no reaction from him when entering the land. I've been worn down by all the Star Wars stuff shoved in my face for the past few years and I think he's in that position too. The most exciting Star Wars reaction I had was when Lego announced the UCS Falcon in 2017.

I want to see bounty hunters, various townspeople, and whatever bad faction roaming the land, interacting with each other and guests. I give the CMs credit but man....it hurt how hard they were trying. Oga's in WDW was incredible because the cast weren't overacting. It was genuinely fun and it made me glad to pay $15 for a drink because my entire experience was that enjoyable. Pull me into the land, don't shove the land down my throat with bad "acting" and a shop every 5-freaking-feet.

I had no idea who he was until I asked a friend. I thought it was a car manufacturer. The AA may have been one of the attractions highlights.

Was he in the prequels?
No, he was in the Clone Wars and Rebels. Clone Wars is a good series from Season 3 on and Rebels is good from 2 on. Honestly, one of my favorite characters of all time. Clone Wars is more...gritty and shocking for kids. Some of the deaths in that show were pretty rough to be aired on Cartoon Network during dinner hours.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I find myself for the first time disagreeing with a Martin opinion :eek:. Question for you though, @marni1971 -- Do you know what happened to the ships you kept hinting at? Given that its been awhile since opening I'm venturing to say either it was cut, or it is apart of the more interactivity that has yet to be seen that you've also talked of.
I’ve no idea.

The_Jobu

If episode 9 made a grand total of 37 dollars I still don't think they'd ever rebrand. Suits never admit mistakes.

lightningtap347

I want to see bounty hunters, various townspeople, and whatever bad faction roaming the land

Doesn't help that "leaders" are actively reprimanding cast members who attempt to make the land fun by portraying themselves as any of these people. Nope, just scream "BRIGHT SUNS" and explain how many credits the tiny coke bubble is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom