News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

mergatroid

Oh you WILD, boy! I love the sass.

I can’t see the link to the picture of you enjoying SW:GETOUTTAHERE🤔

Had trouble posting it SWR, I'll try again here ;)

The Grand Inquisitor

Is this not a good thing? The die-hards get to see rare characters that they’ve read about or seen elsewhere, and the masses get a new-to-them character that expands the universe a little bit more.

In Hondo’s case, it’s not like Chewie’s not involved in the ride at all, and I don’t speak Wookie well enough to want to be coached through the ride by him anyways.

I understand (and share) the desire to see Han, but I honestly don’t think Harrison Ford was ever going to play ball for anything beyond a cameo, if even that.
As a massive Clone Wars fan I love how they added Hondo!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As a massive Clone Wars fan I love how they added Hondo!
I actually like that character...but few people know the clone wars...especially amongst Disney target audiences. I think that’s the discussion point.

So they went hard on this “smuggling” thing...which is obviously due to designing this during the production of Solo. And because they are a bit too enamored with episode 4/7.

We get it...smuggle...loveable rogue.

But If you’re a student of Star Wars history...when did the falcon get “cool”? As a dogfighter...so the end of 4 thru 6...

So I got an idea: why not have a really cool AA akbar do the briefing and then have a randomized dogfight simulator? Protect a ship of innocents or something?

What would resonate more? Hondo and stealing stuff or the admiral and hero stuff? Which concept would be better for longterm appeal in the parks?

That’s why all Star Wars discussion comes back fo the creative choices made (Metroid)...and why the wheel continues to spin in place. Can’t separate the IP management with the elements impacted by it.

My opinion...I’m off to plan a 3 week trip to universal 😉

The Grand Inquisitor

I actually like that character...but few people know the clone wars...especially amongst Disney target audiences. I think that’s the discussion point.

So they went hard on this “smuggling” thing...which is obviously due to designing this during the production of Solo. And because they are a bit too enamored with episode 4/7.

But If you’re a student of Star Wars history...when did the falcon get “cool”? As a dogfighter...so the end of 4 thru 6...

So I got an idea: why not have a really cool AA akbar do the briefing and then have a randomized dogfight simulator? Protect a ship of innocents or something?

What would resonate more? Hondo and stealing stuff or the admiral and hero stuff? Which concept would be better for longterm appeal in the parks?

That’s why all Star Wars discussion comes back fo the creative choices made (Metroid)...and why the wheel continues to spin in place. Can’t separate the IP management with the elements impacted by it.

I definitely see your point and I agree! Have fun at Universal! I honestly had a better trip at Universal last year than my Disney trip from this year.

The_Jobu

We all know how they feel about Akbar and why he's not there *frown

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To 90+% of SWGE visitors, he most certainly is. I don’t know him, and I’ve been a fan since ‘77.
He was a good character in the clone wars...a good cartoon series they ran on Cartoon Network for 5 years 10 years ago based on the unpopular prequels that averaged about one million viewers.

Hawg G

I know what you mean. When I rode Hagrid's ride I was furious with Universal. On their advert they clearly show a moving Dragon above Diagon Alley (considering this is the wrong park doesn't make a good start) breathing fire, a real Harry Potter flying through the sky, Hagrid's motorbike spitting fire and magical creatures not seen on the ride and yet none of this was there or happened?

Diagon Alley shows moving bricks? Goblins walking around the bank at Gringotts along with the fire breathing dragon not only moving but also smashing through the ceiling, and yet none of this happens there?

Or this advert where you clearly see kids sitting on broomsticks and flying around, imagine my disappointment after getting there only to find .............

You really thought you would fly broomsticks around the land? You DO fly with Harry on the Quidditch pitch. The video is right from the ride. And soon after that commercial replaced it with the one showing people in the ride vehicle.

Universal uses movie footage. I’d have no problem Disney using that method.

Both companies stretch it, but Universal delivered with ForbiddenJourney, Smugglers Run....

And we already saw the RotR commercial with obviously CGI enhanced footage being clearly passed off as real. But it’s CGI that many people could believe was real, especially the laser bolts that some insiders are saying may actually happen, referencing a patent for something that couldn’t come close to delivering what is in the commercial.

Nobody should have believed they would actually freely fly on a broom above Islands of Adventure.

Hawg G

He was a good character in the clone wars...a good cartoon series they ran on Cartoon Network for 5 years 10 years ago based on the unpopular prequels that averaged about one million viewers.

You think in the last 5 or 10 years, only one million viewers have seen the prequels? REALLY?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You think in the last 5 or 10 years, only one million viewers have seen the prequels? REALLY?

I probably phrased that wrong...

It ran from 2008-2012 on cartoon...early seasons fluctuated around 3 million viewers...later ones fell to 1-2.

So substantially less audience than the prequels 😉

erasure fan1

Is this not a good thing? The die-hards get to see rare characters that they’ve read about or seen elsewhere, and the masses get a new-to-them character that expands the universe a little bit more.
In theory that would make sense. The problem I think, is that (1.) He isn't a character most die hards really care about. And (2.) They didn't give the die hards the main things they wanted to see. If they would have created a land that scratched all fans itches, then Hondo would have worked better. I also think that with only 2 rides, having a mostly unknown character as the main character, is a bit curious. A well known character, with Hondo as a secondary, would have been a better move in my opinion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DH and I had no idea who Hondo is, but we agreed he is the best thing in SWL. We love his comments during the ride and his spiel in the queue. He made us laugh.
He’s actually one of the more interesting characters created since 1983...if we’re honest...but still is largely unrecognizable/lacks pop culture appeal

scottieRoss

Uh...currently only three animated figures in a major attraction and 14 acres of a billion dollar "Star Wars" land? No wonder WDI doesn't even feel the need to try when we accept such meager offerings.

Look everyone, Oga's has coasters again! This place is amazing!!!
or the other one in MF:SR, the droid in Ronto's, BB8 in the Rise queue, the lothcat, the garbage creature, and I am sure I am missing some.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom