News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Hawg G

what's the point of a full scale model if i cant walk inside it using the ramp from the outside to sell me the illusion that i am walking into the actual falcon. it would be like entering the haunted mansion not from the door at the front of the mansion but through the exit crypt at the end of the ride.

Ahhh, remember when folks said you’d walk through an exact duplicate of the Falcon, in small groups where you couldn’t see any others?

What we got was a good AA of an unknown character telling you some BS, you see a comically small Falcon land behind the AA, so you can then board it, then you walk though a hall, and BAM, you’re on the Falcon. In the lounge with a lot of other people, a CM yelling colors, and multiple non-canonical hallways leaving it.

It is a perfect example of how Disney’s over the top marketing, and CGI filled advertisements are very misleading. Smugglers Run is the epitome of that. The ride was sold as this perfect replica, and what you experience is not a replica, and the cockpit glass is so full of glare, the screen looks far from immersive.

mergatroid

It is a perfect example of how Disney’s over the top marketing, and CGI filled advertisements are very misleading. Smugglers Run is the epitome of that. The ride was sold as this perfect replica, and what you experience is not a replica, and the cockpit glass is so full of glare, the screen looks far from immersive.

I know what you mean. When I rode Hagrid's ride I was furious with Universal. On their advert they clearly show a moving Dragon above Diagon Alley (considering this is the wrong park doesn't make a good start) breathing fire, a real Harry Potter flying through the sky, Hagrid's motorbike spitting fire and magical creatures not seen on the ride and yet none of this was there or happened?

Diagon Alley shows moving bricks? Goblins walking around the bank at Gringotts along with the fire breathing dragon not only moving but also smashing through the ceiling, and yet none of this happens there?

Or this advert where you clearly see kids sitting on broomsticks and flying around, imagine my disappointment after getting there only to find .............

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wow do you have a job or spend all day on here discussing your disappointment in Galaxy's Edge? :)
1. I run a department of an engineering company independently...thank you very much...so I’m “flexible”...

2. The truth hurts...doesn’t it?
Stop defending a quarterly focused stock company that cares not for you, Walt

mergatroid

1. I run a department of an engineering company independently...thank you very much...so I’m “flexible”...

2. The truth hurts...doesn’t it?
Stop defending a quarterly focused stock company that cares not for you, Walt

The truth is I went for 2 weeks and loved Galaxy's Edge and can't wait to return next year to ride ROTR, so no it doesn't. I think they could add some more character interactions and I'm hoping that ROTR will be as good as I expect it to be. I've no belief that Disney cares for me beyond my $$$, others on her will testify that I can be critical of them when I feel it's needed even though I like much of what both Disney and Universal does.

I have no real issue with you not liking Galaxy's Edge, that's fine. I just find it odd that you spend so much time on here going over the same repetitive points about why you don't care for it, constantly, seemingly every day. You even quoted somebody who said they liked it and pointing out they used the word 'liked' and not 'loved' or similar. However you could accuse me of similar with an opposite opinion, I'm sure I post nowhere near as much as you about it though.

Anyhow I loved it and here's me and my friend enjoying it (though you'll probably claim we don't look truly happy in it) :DView attachment 415905View attachment 415905

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The truth is I went for 2 weeks and loved Galaxy's Edge and can't wait to return next year to ride ROTR, so no it doesn't. I think they could add some more character interactions and I'm hoping that ROTR will be as good as I expect it to be. I've no belief that Disney cares for me beyond my $$$, others on her will testify that I can be critical of them when I feel it's needed even though I like much of what both Disney and Universal does.

I have no real issue with you not liking Galaxy's Edge, that's fine. I just find it odd that you spend so much time on here going over the same repetitive points about why you don't care for it, constantly, seemingly every day. You even quoted somebody who said they liked it and pointing out they used the word 'liked' and not 'loved' or similar. However you could accuse me of similar with an opposite opinion, I'm sure I post nowhere near as much as you about it though.

Anyhow I loved it and here's me and my friend enjoying it (though you'll probably claim we don't look truly happy in it) :D
Wait...are we debating who wastes too much time here?

Truth is it seems we both need a hobby.

As far as abramsland and the franchise...I’ll let the real world speak for itself. Which means I don’t have to point out the flaws - it is getting old - and those obsessed with defense of disney don’t have to spin it.

Hopefully it’s on an upswing...for all our sakes

mergatroid

Wait...are we debating who wastes too much time here?

Truth is it seems we both need a hobby.

As far as abramsland and the franchise...I’ll let the real world speak for itself. Which means I don’t have to point out the flaws - it is getting old - and those obsessed with defense of disney don’t have to spin it.

Hopefully it’s on an upswing...for all our sakes

No, you beat me hands down on that ;)

erasure fan1

Has he been in a movie? If not, I doubt most folks know him. When I heard the name I thought it was the crazy lady with the goggles from The Force Awakens. Even with the correction, I'd never heard of him outside of Galaxy's Edge.
You are correct, the majority of people outside of the hardcore fandom have a clue who he is. Yes, technically he isn't unknown but if people are being honest, he is as good as being made up.

Mickeyboof

I know what you mean. When I rode Hagrid's ride I was furious with Universal. On their advert they clearly show a moving Dragon above Diagon Alley (considering this is the wrong park doesn't make a good start) breathing fire, a real Harry Potter flying through the sky, Hagrid's motorbike spitting fire and magical creatures not seen on the ride and yet none of this was there or happened?

Diagon Alley shows moving bricks? Goblins walking around the bank at Gringotts along with the fire breathing dragon not only moving but also smashing through the ceiling, and yet none of this happens there?

Or this advert where you clearly see kids sitting on broomsticks and flying around, imagine my disappointment after getting there only to find .............

Those ads were pretty spot on actually !

Jones14

You are correct, the majority of people outside of the hardcore fandom have a clue who he is. Yes, technically he isn't unknown but if people are being honest, he is as good as being made up.
Is this not a good thing? The die-hards get to see rare characters that they’ve read about or seen elsewhere, and the masses get a new-to-them character that expands the universe a little bit more.

In Hondo’s case, it’s not like Chewie’s not involved in the ride at all, and I don’t speak Wookie well enough to want to be coached through the ride by him anyways.

I understand (and share) the desire to see Han, but I honestly don’t think Harrison Ford was ever going to play ball for anything beyond a cameo, if even that.

Mickeyboof

Is this not a good thing? The die-hards get to see rare characters that they’ve read about or seen elsewhere, and the masses get a new-to-them character that expands the universe a little bit more.

In Hondo’s case, it’s not like Chewie’s not involved in the ride at all, and I don’t speak Wookie well enough to want to be coached through the ride by him anyways.

I understand (and share) the desire to see Han, but I honestly don’t think Harrison Ford was ever going to play ball for anything beyond a cameo, if even that.

Personally, I don’t need to “see” Han.

The dislike comes from the feeling that they aren’t even *honoring* Han or Chewie.

“Why is this guy telling me to fly the falcon?” is currently the most common reaction from guests.

If they just played the dang music I think people wouldn’t be as subconsciously confused.

Jones14

Personally, I don’t need to “see” Han.

The dislike comes from the feeling that they aren’t even *honoring* Han or Chewie.

“Why is this guy telling me to fly the falcon?” is currently the most common reaction from guests.

If they just played the dang music I think people wouldn’t be as subconsciously confused.
Ah, I see what you mean. I haven’t personally witnessed that with anyone I’ve been with, but that’s obviously not representative of everyone.

What do you mean by music? The ride has a score pretty much the whole way through, as far as I can remember.

mergatroid

Ah, I see what you mean. I haven’t personally witnessed that with anyone I’ve been with, but that’s obviously not representative of everyone.

What do you mean by music? The ride has a score pretty much the whole way through, as far as I can remember.

Me neither, perhaps he has the simulators bugged as has been listening in though to all these other people saying it? ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It’s only a “good thing” if they develop the character on a mass scale. And they haven’t proved to be effective with their efforts so far.

We have a “trilogy” where hardly anything is known or signature about the main characters...because the story hasn’t worked. Let alone dozens of disposables.

Let’s face it: Captain phasma of Tarth is a bigger waste than jar jar binks...who at least appointed the emperor 😉

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Yes the ride has music during the mission because there would be orchestral music inside a cockpit timed to the action when doing a smuggler run because um....immersion....or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom