Entertainment cuts

ImperfectPixie

When it was one dance party... sure... when they started multiplying like rabbits and becoming the generic filler for other forms of entertainment they wore out their welcome

All the way back to actually replacing a parade with having guests actually be the parade...
I'm not a fan of dance parties, either, but as a parent, I was appalled when I saw the Incredibles encouraging kids to do the whip and nae nae. Neither the dance, nor the song are appropriate for a Disney theme park.

TrainsOfDisney

regarding dance parties....

Would we find it perfectly acceptable for Darth Vader, Chewbacca, and Storm Troopers to dance to modern pop music in galaxies edge and call that entertainment? Then why is it ok for the icons of the company?

when Donald dances with guests while the straw hatters play live period appropriate music on Main Street, I’m fine with it. When he dances during move it shake it... that’s a different story.

Lilofan

Would we find it perfectly acceptable for Darth Vader, Chewbacca, and Storm Troopers to dance to modern pop music in galaxies edge and call that entertainment? Then why is it ok for the icons of the company?

when Donald dances with guests while the straw hatters play live period appropriate music on Main Street, I’m fine with it. When he dances during move it shake it... that’s a different story.
My family remembers very well Star Wars weekends at MGM when Darth Vader and his Storm Troopers would get down and dirty during the dance off in front of Star Tours. The crowds were going wild. Donald shaking his butt to encourage others to do it? It's called having a great time with the guests. Straw hatters might be ok in Walt's time.

asianway

Kathleen made that call...and we all know what a great job she’s been doing as steward of all things Lucas...

TrainsOfDisney

At this rate if they keep cutting entertainment I won't be surprised if they don't add a night parade in MK for the 50th.

If anything we will get paint the night or Main Street electrical parade. I’m hoping we get a new day parade more than a night parade but we shall see.

note2001

At this rate if they keep cutting entertainment I won't be surprised if they don't add a night parade in MK for the 50th.
I think the opposite is true. Because they're cutting entertainment at this rate, they'll need to add a Night Parade back into the MK before the 50th.

My reasoning: people are holding off on visiting for any number of reasons: questions about a recession is only one part. Disney shot themselves in the foot by announcing so many staggered projects leaving guests to say "let's wait". When the average guest is away for too long the desire to return is diminished ever so slightly day by day. There are many amazing places to vacation that don't charge astronomical admission to enjoy (beaches, mountains, cities). Bu Oct 2021 Disney will have lost it's emotional grip on many guests who would have come back to visit sooner.

Disney will need to ramp up their game for the 50th to get the pay off both they and the entire Orlando area are counting on happening.

Last edited:

bUU

Perhaps you are the naive one?
No. I assure you that thinking that the "customers at the gate" is the most important shareholder is exceedingly naive. Our economic system simply doesn't work that way, and never has worked the way.

My point was not about the enjoyment of what Disney has to offer but that the customer “shareholder” should not have to be investing more into the parks to get a lower return.
I know what point you were trying to make. I was responding that that point was not valid. The "should" you imply has nothing to do with business/shareholders/etc. It's a personal frustration; not a reflection on how the place is run. You're abusing vocabulary (such as using a term like "return") to try to make that personal frustration sound more important than it really is. The "return" guests get for their "investing into the parks" is days of vacation entertainment. If millions of other people, more and more every decade, find that they get great "return" on their "investing into the parks" but you do not, yet you still fixate on the offering, perhaps even grudgingly patronizing the parks regardless, then who's at fault?

There is a correlation to the lower attendance when prices are increasing and people are not getting what they paid for prior to the tickets being raised.
Two things:

Park attendance is skyrocketing, decade-over-decade.

If you're foolish enough to think that one-year trends are significant, then you need to learn more about business. I recommend you start with reading W. Edward Demings, focusing on his teachings about variability.

Why do you think business like Toys R’Us failed?
Because the general retail model for consumer goods is being supplanted by boutique retailing and online sales.

bUU

They do need a fall from grace to learn a hard lesson or two. A good recession will do that.
An economic downturn is a natural part of the business cycle. While irrational people may run around like chickens with their heads cut off in the context of the effects of a downturn, a well-run business employs measured responses, integrating the economic realities with the inevitable over-emotionalized knee-jerk reactions of both shareholders and customers. This isn't any kind of "fall from grace" or a "hard lesson". It's just business.

matt9112

An economic downturn is a natural part of the business cycle. While irrational people may run around like chickens with their heads cut off in the context of the effects of a downturn, a well-run business employs measured responses, integrating the economic realities with the inevitable over-emotionalized knee-jerk reactions of both shareholders and customers. This isn't any kind of "fall from grace" or a "hard lesson". It's just business.

So you think its a well run business? In a sector that is the most vulnerable to that part of the economic cycle.....ok. this is the company that left hotels half built for years because of that...

bUU

So you think its a well run business? In a sector that is the most vulnerable to that part of the economic cycle.....
You're going to want to believe whatever nastiness you want to believe, despite decades upon decades of history of people posting prattle like yours being wrong about the company over and over and over again.

ok. this is the company that left hotels half built for years because of that...
The fact that you don't see this as the best decision to make at the time underscores your intention to believe the worst no matter what.

Live in the dark dungeon within which you've imprisoned yourself. You can read trip reports and such from those of us free to enjoy and appreciate, I suppose, scraps of sustenance for a Disney fan gone bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom