Entertainment cuts

TrainsOfDisney

As a shareholder, Iā€™m surprised youā€™re not concerned. I feel like Disney is right now on the scale where if they cut much more regarding front line cmā€™s, entertainments housekeeping, etc. that itā€™s going to start to seriously hurt their reputation.

Imho.... the scale may have started to tip... but itā€™s still close enough to the middle that itā€™s not totally damaging their future success.

note2001

As a stock holder myself I don't see the Disney parks playing into the value of the stock all that much. Certainly cuts to entertainment bother those of us who knew what was there before, but they won't have an impact on the rare guest who are still the bulk of the visitors.

BTW - it's laughable when Disney points at the Parks as the reasons for a bad quarter, and not acquisitions that have not yet played out. And yet, they will never point to the parks and say that they're the reason for a good quarter. Don't be fooled by their games.

Disney CAN afford to put on a parade nightly. They CAN afford to keep acts that essentially pay for themselves in booze sold. What they're doing is asinine and seem to indicate little number crunchers trying to make a small bonus for themselves by cutting into the livelihood of good entertainers.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

certainly cuts to entertainment bother those of us who knew what was there before, but they won't have an impact on the rare guest who are still the bulk of the visitors.

Iā€™m guessing the number of visitors who visit Disney world (specifically world) who instantly plan a return because of their good experience is going down a bit. Itā€™s not because of the lack of banjo brothers and bob nor is it a lack of towel animals. Itā€™s all the little things that add up.... including replacing long term cmā€™s with seasonal cpā€™s to save a little.

Obviously I donā€™t have any proof of that, but it would seem that Disneyā€™s guess isnā€™t any better than mine, with the low attendance theyā€™ve had on both coasts this year.

If the parks donā€™t matter to Disneyā€™s bottom line maybe Iger will sell them oriental land?

Lilofan

As a stock holder myself I don't see the Disney parks playing into the value of the stock all that much. Certainly cuts to entertainment bother those of us who knew what was there before, but they won't have an impact on the rare guest who are still the bulk of the visitors.

BTW - it's laughable when Disney points at the Parks as the reasons for a bad quarter, and not acquisitions that have not yet played out. And yet, they will never point to the parks and say that they're the reason for a good quarter. Don't be fooled by their games.
The investor conference calls Iger and his CFO give to Wall Street on a regular basis is interesting reading or listening. I like it when Wall Street likes what they hear and recommends a BUY in the stock to interested investors.

Disone

Really? My family and I have been vacationing and supporting the šŸfor the last 30+ years and have invested long term with Disney as a shareholder. So, all good...
I don't know what any of what you just said has to do with giving Disney a past for not running an electrical parade at the Magic Kingdom? PS you're not in an exclusive Club. I too am shareholder. I too have supported them. I too have taken Disney vacations for over 30 years. Of course now I take them at Disneyland since I live in Florida. You did not say if you are a Disney Vacation Club member but I am. Old Key West none the less. So if you think you had a gotcha card you did not.

Last edited:

ppete1975

Have you been to Walt Disney World? You refer to it in the context of single theme park but its way more then one theme park. Many many visitors spend two weeks at Walt Disney World. 14 night stays at a Walt Disney World Resort Hotel, while not anywhere near the majority of reservations, are certainly very common.
hmmmm 6 times? Have you been? :) Im not knocking the Magic Kingdom one bit, but when people are basing things on there aren't enough things to do to fill 2 weeks, I have to question why you would want to. I think 7 days is pushing it. But I also think that part of the magic is to get a taste and want to come back. Not do everything 10 times and memorize it. Then again, I also am at parks at open till close and do magic hours and usually a party. So if someone likes chilling at the hotel room or the pools or maybe golf.. I can see it. I know people who travel that spend most of their time at the resort (waste of money in my opinion when theme park tix are so much but to each their own).

TrainsOfDisney

anything that removes 'dance party' from the vocabulary is a good thing IMO

I agree and disagree. The dance parties are rarely done well and in general I donā€™t like the concept and consider it a cheap alternative to quality live entertainment. (The incredibles dance party at dhs with equity actor hosts, live camera crew, custom props, and period specific music is the rare exception. It felt like a Disney quality dance party).

But cutting any live entertainment just to save $$$ is not a good thing to see at the worlds most visited theme parks.

Maccabee18

That's incredibly naive. Regardless, as we have just seen demonstrated above, there are clearly two different sets of "customers at the gate" - the vast majority that enjoy what Disney offers and the small minority, perhaps including you, who aren't capable of appreciating all that is offered.

Perhaps you are the naive one? My point was not about the enjoyment of what Disney has to offer but that the customer ā€œshareholderā€ should not have to be investing more into the parks to get a lower return. Raising prices and then removing entertainment to ā€œsave costsā€œ and then winning at the shareholder table with excessive profit is not a good business model. It showcases that the executives are in it for the money and oh well to those who visit the parks.

There is a correlation to the lower attendance when prices are increasing and people are not getting what they paid for prior to the tickets being raised. I am quite lucky in my financial means but as a consumer i will invest my money and time into brands that invest into the customer. Why do you think business like Toys Rā€™Us failed? They did not invest and kept cutting back.

matt9112

And that's your comeback.. šŸ˜„ and " everytime"? Go run back to your posts on the ones that run Disney..

Your don't come off much better. Technically you run disney. When you vote. You voted for this. This is the disney you want. They do need a fall from grace to learn a hard lesson or two. A good recession will do that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Personally, I'm not really in favor of cutting anything, especially when no replacement is in the offering.

Plus, you might feel differently if you had seen your 3 year old run up to Donald Duck, grab his hand, and make him start dancing with her at this dance party.

When it was one dance party... sure... when they started multiplying like rabbits and becoming the generic filler for other forms of entertainment they wore out their welcome

All the way back to actually replacing a parade with having guests actually be the parade...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom