Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

Chi84

Premium Member
I was wondering when “my time is too valuable” was gonna show it’s head??

If you don’t have enough time to relax on vacation, I believe you may be missing the point of vacation.

But that’s just me.
Wait, maybe I'm not understanding. How is waiting an hour or two for a parade or fireworks show relaxing? Sounds like hell to me. I think the point was that paying for premium experiences helps people spend their vacation time in the way that is best for them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The middle class has changed in the USA since the 1950s. It's not as financially potent today as it was back then. Someone categorized as upper class today doesn't have to earn more than $80,000.

$80,000 that has to pay for internet, mobile phones, housing, and generally higher life costs doesn't leave a lot of room for many vacations.
That is a huge problem for Disney...

So if your customer pool is shrinking, you blast the prices to speed up that process?

Who would do that?
Well...a retiring CEO and unattached mercenary board would...perhaps?

PixarPerfect

That is a huge problem for Disney...

So if your customer pool is shrinking, you blast the prices to speed up that process?

Who would do that?
Well...a retiring CEO and unattached mercenary board would...perhaps?

No, the customer pool is changing. Middle class families who have to send kids to college probably aren't going on many big vacations, to Disney or anywhere. Why would the company cater to an audience that has to spend its money elsewhere? Instead, it's going after that 30% over $100k. That's pretty obvious in its marketing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait, maybe I'm not understanding. How is waiting an hour or two for a parade or fireworks show relaxing? Sounds like hell to me. I think the point was that paying for premium experiences helps people spend their vacation time in the way that is best for them.
Well that’s a completely different animal. Fools wait hours for parades. The “value” of fireworks or parades is not worth 120 minutes OR $85 a head.

But people have to have maturity and common sense...and I’ll lose this battle

PixarPerfect

You said “consider the cost of security” paraphrased.

I reject that. Not paraphrased.

It was an add-on.

Something else to consider when comparing today's prices with those in years' past... Security. I remember walking right into WDW without someone using a stick to rifle through my bag at every entrance. I wasn't on monitored camera(s) every step of the way through the parks and there weren't metal detectors at different stops. My plane tickets didn't have all of the extra security fees, either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, the customer pool is changing. Middle class families who have to send kids to college probably aren't going on many big vacations, to Disney or anywhere. Why would the company cater to an audience that has to spend its money elsewhere? Instead, it's going after that 30% over $100k. That's pretty obvious in its marketing.

There aren’t enough people on this planet to sustain that approach AND increase or maintain attendance at Disney parks...

And BS aside...that is a problem for them.

That’s why I talk about “mass operation”. But I didn’t invent that idea...Disney did when they built and for the first 50 years of Ops.

Say they double the price and go from a guesstimated 50,000,000 visitors down to 40,000,000

That’s more money...Wall Street will be happy, right?

What do you think?

Chi84

Premium Member
It's not my poll. :)

I'm just saying that your explanation still doesn't fit what you think it does. As you said, you are paying for extras and enhanced things, above and beyond the regular experience. The prices in your case are pretty much irrelevant. Lower or higher, you would be paying for them anyways, so the prices don't make a difference, so the increases really don't make a difference to you one way or the other.
Sorry of accusing you of this poll 🤣 I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't believe my category is reflected in the poll because if we didn't change itineraries, we would not be willing to absorb the price increases and would not be content with the atmosphere. Maybe I'm parsing words here, but I do see a difference.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well that’s a completely different animal. Fools wait hours for parades. The “value” of fireworks or parades is not worth 120 minutes OR $85 a head.

But people have to have maturity and common sense...and I’ll lose this battle
There are many, many people who feel it's worth it to wait for parades or fireworks, even though I personally wouldn't do it. Many others pay for the dessert parties. You're right, though. Labeling them "fools" who lack maturity and common sense is probably not going to win any battles for you - that type of name-calling rarely does.

Greg in TN

We started taking our kids when they were 6 & 3. Absolutely fantastic trips. Even when the kids were teenagers, and were enthralled with thrill-rides and rollercoasters, when asked whether they preferred the trips to Disney or the trips to Universal, they always chose Disney. Over the years, my wife & I have also been many times by ourselves, without the kids, and have thoroughly enjoyed those trips as well. We typically started planning our next trip while we were on our way home form the last one. Our friends always expected us to have a trip on the calendar for somewhere in the next few months.

But it's been more than 3 years since we've visited, which is BY FAR the longest drought since we started going. Our last visits (2x in '16) just weren't as "magical" as they had been before -- the crowds, the expense, FastPass+, the EXCESSIVE amount of planning that's now necessary -- and now nobody's begging for a return visit anymore. I still like to read about what's happening, and to remember the Disney that we DID enjoy (which is why I still frequent websites like this), but we have nothing on the books in the foreseeable future for going back. To us, the value is not there anymore, and so far we're happy spending our vacation dollars elsewhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are many, many people who feel it's worth it to wait for parades or fireworks, even though I personally wouldn't do it. Many others pay for the dessert parties. You're right, though. Labeling them "fools" who lack maturity and common sense is probably not going to win any battles for you - that type of name-calling rarely does.

Everybody has two things...the other is an “opinion” 😉

Phonedave

As has been discussed in many other threads its not always about your income but rather about opportunity costs.

Exactly,

This is also what keeps me away from DCL. I have always said that DCL is a wonderful product, but unless you have kids (who want to take advantage of the kids clubs), that are not better enough to justify their increase in price as compared to other cruise lines that provide 99% of the product for 70% of the price (and in some cases, in my opinion, offer a better product)

-dave

VaderTron

Original Poster
Value is a very personal driver. Me? I have very little free time in my life and place a premium on anything that helps save me what I consider wasted time, especially on vacation. You'll never catch me waiting an hour or two for a good parade or fireworks view. I'd rather spend the money and show up to my saved spot later or have something else to do in that time. There are plenty of "me" in the USA and Disney is catering to us. Right or wrong, it's how we live now.
If there are "plenty of you" then you better watch out. They will keep raising the prices knowing there are plenty of people waiting in the wings willing to pay whatever it costs
Before you know it you will be spending $1000 for a saved fireworks view. Or maybe $2000. Maybe in 10 years $30,000. But I guess since that is affordable to some people we shouldn't call it ridiculous.

Chi84

Premium Member
If there are "plenty of you" then you better watch out. They will keep raising the prices knowing there are plenty of people waiting in the wings willing to pay whatever it costs
Before you know it you will be spending $1000 for a saved fireworks view. Or maybe $2000. Maybe in 10 years $30,000. But I guess since that is affordable to some people we shouldn't call it ridiculous.
I don’t think the prices for the dessert parties will go that high.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly,

This is also what keeps me away from DCL. I have always said that DCL is a wonderful product, but unless you have kids (who want to take advantage of the kids clubs), that are not better enough to justify their increase in price as compared to other cruise lines that provide 99% of the product for 70% of the price (and in some cases, in my opinion, offer a better product)

-dave
Well said.

Dcl is a nice product (but not a cut above as defenders indicate)

However, 20-50% of the price you pay is for “The D”...and I guess I’m to old and salty for labels these days?

VaderTron

Original Poster
I was wondering when “my time is too valuable” was gonna show it’s head??

If you don’t have enough time to relax on vacation, I believe you may be missing the point of vacation.

But that’s just me.
Or perhaps missing out on life. Sad...

By choice we keep things simple and we only work part-time. Could I afford anything and everything at Disney if we both worked full-time? Yep. Instead we spend more days of the week together as a family than apart. We have a great relationship and spend time with friends just enjoying life. Our together time doesn't have to be planned because we made it our priority long ago. So many people miss out on that and it's very sad. Whenever someone says they "don't have a lot of free time" I am reminded of how grateful I am to be part of a family that prioritized togetherness over money.

John park hopper

Exactly,

-dave
I agree we did an Alaskan 14 day cruise on Holland America and the service, the food, the entertainment was top notch. It is an older crowd but then again all my kids are grown and I'm no spring chicken.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom