Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No, it’s premium. When the viewing area was “once free” we didn’t even bother with the fireworks because the crowds were shoulder to shoulder. I don’t care about the desserts, but the dessert party garden area has never been anywhere near crowded and we get a great view of the castle projections. Worth it for me.
You are the target demo I guess. Subjectively you may find “value” in paying to see fireworks with a seat. But to argue that is a premium experience is a bridge to far. I’ve done the dessert party. There is nothing premium about it. You want to call it “exclusive” maybe we can get away with that terminology.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yes, thank you. I actually do the above for a living. :)

The argument many have made is that the parks have become too crowded and the experience too expensive. It's hard to see a connection between "too crowded," "over-priced," and a company marketing to the wrong people. While individuals may feel this way, that argument's bold items suggest that the masses feel otherwise. Crowded parks and difficult to obtain ADRs suggest that the company is marketing to exactly the right people.

It's not uncommon for companies to change buyer profiles over time--most companies don't maintain identical profiles 5-8 decades later. Buyer loyalty is a priority for every company and much cultivate through a variety of paths, but when those buyers change in ways like demanding better technology and quicker options, then the company has to change (see Toys R Us if you need an example of one that didn't). Changes cost money. Paper tickets for rides were less expensive than magic bands and Fast passes. Plain magic bands are less expensive than have design teams create new and fun versions every year. It's all money out that needs to come back in the end.
The argument the parks have become too crowded is consistently used as a talking point when defending obnoxious price increases. The fact is, there isn’t an appreciably larger number of guests coming year over year. What is happening is TDO is understaffing the parks in order to optimize economic efficiency on their end. Thereby making the parks feel more crowded then ever. A fun offshoot of TDOs staffing bs is that they now monetize solutions to the crowded feeling. Per guest spending goes up. Wall Street is held at bay for another quarter and the guests suffer.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, thank you. I actually do the above for a living. :)

The argument many have made is that the parks have become too crowded and the experience too expensive. It's hard to see a connection between "too crowded," "over-priced," and a company marketing to the wrong people. While individuals may feel this way, that argument's bold items suggest that the masses feel otherwise. Crowded parks and difficult to obtain ADRs suggest that the company is marketing to exactly the right people.

It's not uncommon for companies to change buyer profiles over time--most companies don't maintain identical profiles 5-8 decades later. Buyer loyalty is a priority for every company and much cultivate through a variety of paths, but when those buyers change in ways like demanding better technology and quicker options, then the company has to change (see Toys R Us if you need an example of one that didn't). Changes cost money. Paper tickets for rides were less expensive than magic bands and Fast passes. Plain magic bands are less expensive than have design teams create new and fun versions every year. It's all money out that needs to come back in the end.
I do not subscribe to the “too crowded” concept.

I think they’re bottle necking people on purpose to sell more outlandish products.

What’s @smile always: “create the problem and offer expensive “solutions”?

Bingo.

The question I have goes back to the Harrison buzz price studies. They knew...in 1955 and again in 1965...that the model would work ONLY if you caterd to the middle class earners first and foremost. High overhead demands numbers. Because volume is not an option.

Now that it’s shredded...where is the volume coming from?
Added to modern Wall Street quarterly pressure, they need more people. Not less.

This nonsense for the last 5 years ago that they “want to reduce attendance by raising price” is the dumbest idea in the history of Disney study. By far.

They Want more attendance paying higher prices for everything.

That is business 101.

The questions are: where do you get it? And what happens if you don’t?

That seems to be a very much bigger shadow concern of late. Both based on their performance and the greater climate.

“Revenues up, attendance down” has a ceiling.

Or I’m wrong...time for lunch either way 😎

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are the target demo I guess. Subjectively you may find “value” in paying to see fireworks with a seat. But to argue that is a premium experience is a bridge to far. I’ve done the dessert party. There is nothing premium about it. You want to call it “exclusive” maybe we can get away with that terminology.

They’re “something”....That’s for sure...

Standing on 50 year old amusement park concrete looking up for 10 minutes with hostess in your hand reminds me of Downton Abbey in so many ways 🤪

PixarPerfect

The middle class has changed in the USA since the 1950s. It's not as financially potent today as it was back then. Someone categorized as upper class today doesn't have to earn more than $80,000.

$80,000 that has to pay for internet, mobile phones, housing, and generally higher life costs doesn't leave a lot of room for many vacations.

JIMINYCR

Crowd levels are mostly unchanged. What’s changed is the staffing levels. The over crowding is purposeful. Create a problem. Monetize a solution.
I see this posted a lot. Yes understaffing does create longer waits that affects the loading & unloading process.. and so has the change to the FP+ increasing the line flows. But since Ive been going to WDW I can say that there definitely is more crowds jamming into the parks. Trips ago you had very managable travel on the sidewalks and walkways, moving through the shops when shopping for things was less stressful, and parade & firework viewing space wasnt as critical. Trips we would take during slow seasons months were very comfortable and enjoyable. Now those months are similar to what once was busy seasons and it no longer matters as much to be selective on when to go other than major holiday or vacation weeks. We still are enjoying our trips but the amount of people crushing in the once open spaces is becomming untolerable.

PixarPerfect

I’m lost. Upper class is 80k? Or am I mis-reading this?

Upper class is double the median salary. So yes, $80,000. 30% of the USA earns over $100,000 which sounds like more before taking out all the extras people in the 1950s didn't pay each month. It's a sobering exercise - compare what you make today with what your grandparents made. They may have earned less but had more.

PixarPerfect

Something else to consider when comparing today's prices with those in years' past... Security. I remember walking right into WDW without someone using a stick to rifle through my bag at every entrance. I wasn't on monitored camera(s) every step of the way through the parks and there weren't metal detectors at different stops. My plane tickets didn't have all of the extra security fees, either.

Chi84

Premium Member
They’re “something”....That’s for sure...

Standing on 50 year old amusement park concrete looking up for 10 minutes with hostess in your hand reminds me of Downton Abbey in so many ways 🤪
Actually, it's grass for 15 minutes and I don't really eat the desserts, so . . . People are different - they place value on different things. Doesn't make them ridiculous or wrong.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Actually, it's grass for 15 minutes and I don't really eat the desserts, so . . . People are different - they place value on different things. Doesn't make them ridiculous or wrong.
In this case? It is ridiculous. Disney has cut back the amount of viewing space included in a standard ticket and is now selling a tiny segment of it back to the guests for $100pp. That is actually ridiculous. It works for you. That’s fine, it’s still objectively ridiculous.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Individual contributions to the consumer pricing model does - however - impact the whole base.

PixarPerfect

Value is a very personal driver. Me? I have very little free time in my life and place a premium on anything that helps save me what I consider wasted time, especially on vacation. You'll never catch me waiting an hour or two for a good parade or fireworks view. I'd rather spend the money and show up to my saved spot later or have something else to do in that time. There are plenty of "me" in the USA and Disney is catering to us. Right or wrong, it's how we live now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In this case? It is ridiculous. Disney has cut back the amount of viewing space included in a standard ticket and is now selling a tiny segment of it back to the guests for $100pp. That is actually ridiculous. It works for you. That’s fine, it’s still objectively ridiculous.
Hey!

1. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!
2. However, at least 50% of opinions are dead wrong.

Texas84

1) Not renewing my AP next year due to the increase, unless there is a substantial renewal discount.

I recently filled out an AP survey. After I checked 'Probably not' to asking if I would renew, the next question was why? I responded recent price increase. I'm sure they are seeing a bunch of these responses.

2) No more on-site non-DVC resorts

My last trip I was hit with a daily parking charge, a $100 hold on my credit card, poor service, and unhappy resort CMs. If I can't get DVC I will be staying at the offsite timeshare that doesn't charge for parking (yet).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Value is a very personal driver. Me? I have very little free time in my life and place a premium on anything that helps save me what I consider wasted time, especially on vacation. You'll never catch me waiting an hour or two for a good parade or fireworks view. I'd rather spend the money and show up to my saved spot later or have something else to do in that time. There are plenty of "me" in the USA and Disney is catering to us. Right or wrong, it's how we live now.

I was wondering when “my time is too valuable” was gonna show it’s head??

If you don’t have enough time to relax on vacation, I believe you may be missing the point of vacation.

But that’s just me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1) Not renewing my AP next year due to the increase, unless there is a substantial renewal discount.

I recently filled out an AP survey. After I checked 'Probably not' to asking if I would renew, the next question was why? I responded recent price increase. I'm sure they are seeing a bunch of these responses.

2) No more on-site non-DVC resorts

My last trip I was hit with a daily parking charge, a $100 hold on my credit card, poor service, and unhappy resort CMs. If I can't get DVC I will be staying at the offsite timeshare that doesn't charge for parking (yet).
Amen...honestly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Something else to consider when comparing today's prices with those in years' past... Security. I remember walking right into WDW without someone using a stick to rifle through my bag at every entrance. I wasn't on monitored camera(s) every step of the way through the parks and there weren't metal detectors at different stops. My plane tickets didn't have all of the extra security fees, either.
You’re claiming the 2-3 fold increase in ALL prices since Iger took over is due to the Mickey cops headfaking purse searches out front??

When the bartender comes back, can you order me what you’re having?

PixarPerfect

If you don’t have enough time to relax on vacation, I believe you may be missing the point of vacation.

Define relaxation, lol. Another personal definition. I travel extensively so yes, I do relax and fully grasp the point of vacations. However, sitting on a sidewalk for an hour or two is far from relaxing to me. There are plenty of other things I'd rather be doing on my vacation.

SirWillow

Well, okay, it's your poll. But if we had not changed our itineraries to include the enhanced experiences with their attendant increased costs, the price increases for the basic Disney experience may have led us to go less often. I'm not sure you're going to get reliable results (yes, I know the poll is just for fun) if you decide that some people are "the exception." If you want to know whether people are going more frequently because of price increases, I can pretty confidently respond that they are not.

It's not my poll. :)

I'm just saying that your explanation still doesn't fit what you think it does. As you said, you are paying for extras and enhanced things, above and beyond the regular experience. The prices in your case are pretty much irrelevant. Lower or higher, you would be paying for them anyways, so the prices don't make a difference, so the increases really don't make a difference to you one way or the other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom