A Tale of Booze in Batuu

smile

Disney wanted their own version of butter beer

lol that wasn't the only thing
... would there be anything there if there hadn't been anything to ape?!
NO! - it wouldn't have even been built :hilarious: ... so obvious

but yeah, delivering a cantina experience in a star wars land is 101 stuff, yet this was even 'in-spite' as it's not even that, it's the leftover lounge
in and of itself, oga's is a fun little joint - in the grand scheme, it epitomizes a general land tone-deafness from up above

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Now that's an interesting story, but I need to make sure when I tell it that I'm not blowing the cover on who told who. The Cliff Notes version is that they knew it might not be a hit, but the compartmentalization of SWGE development meant the beverages hadn't been widely experienced by key persons. I don't remember which outlet it was, but I have a friend who was present during media day at DLR and witnessed a media personality describe the beverage as "slimy". That really was when they started sweating.
It’s just stupid. It’s a made up drink. All that was necessary was dye. Make one taste like an Oreo milkshake and the other like a cinnamon roll.

RobWDW1971

It's uniquely disgusting. They should sell something people want to buy more than once. It's strange because the food in Docking Bay is great.

Agreed - although the theming is one of the worst creative choices in SWGE, the food in there is really tasty and filling. Try the chicken salad.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It is ludacris how little alcohol mixed drinks have a WDW.

Mickeyboof

Question- does Disneyland still have a minimum?

When I went at opening, it was a MINIMUM of two drinks.

At WDW, It was a MAXIMUM of two drinks. Wouldn’t that affect performance?

Darth Snips

It's uniquely disgusting. They should sell something people want to buy more than once. It's strange because the food in Docking Bay is great.
I think I’m the only person I know who genuinely likes the blue milk. Honestly, that may say more about my sense of taste than the quality of the drink.

I will also add that I actually prefer the “chilled” version from the cantina. I thought the frozen version was just okay, and it did have a weird consistency. The milk and cookie drink was great though.

TrainsOfDisney

Not trying to derail the thread but to me it’s not if you can buy a drink in the parks but how and where. Guests walking around with drinks, to me, makes the park seem way less classy. Being able to order a drink in a sit down restaurant or a themed bar, is fine.

To me, that also helps to naturally limit the number of guests who over do it. Having a beer at lunch and dinner isn’t going to to create the problems we see at Epcot when it’s available every 20’ or so.

Back to the Cantina... I don’t really get the appeal of the place. If it was Star Wars version of adventurers club with real things happening.... man sign me up! I’ll buy as many drinks as you make me buy. But to see a recycled aa “play” loud music? Umm.... no thanks. Ha.

Mickeyboof

I think I’m the only person I know who genuinely likes the blue milk. Honestly, that may say more about my sense of taste than the quality of the drink.

I will also add that I actually prefer the “chilled” version from the cantina. I thought the frozen version was just okay, and it did have a weird consistency. The milk and cookie drink was great though.

I gunuinely adore the blue milk. And the green.

But I could drink the blue milk many times in a day. If it wasn’t priced so insultingly.

cjkeating

Hot take on Oga's.

A very small sample but had one visit to Oga's east... was called into the bar 15 minutes before our reservation, placed at the standalone bar space near the entrance, bartender arrived within a few minutes, order taken a few minutes later, drinks arrived in about 5 minutes, asked if we wanted another drink around 35 minutes in (so assumed they would have been happy for us to stay longer) asked for the bill and received that within a few minutes and left.

There was a decent turnover of people at our standalone bar, people seemed happy and the bar appeared efficient. No horror stories like what had come out of Oga's west, am I right in thinking all orders had to be placed at the bar in Oga's west? This was all table service unless you were seated at the bar.

A couple of friends where in Florida at the same time and they had a very similar experience.

ToTBellHop

Hot take on Oga's.

A very small sample but had one visit to Oga's east... was called into the bar 15 minutes before our reservation, placed at the standalone bar space near the entrance, bartender arrived within a few minutes, order taken a few minutes later, drinks arrived in about 5 minutes, asked if we wanted another drink around 35 minutes in (so assumed they would have been happy for us to stay longer) asked for the bill and received that within a few minutes and left.

There was a decent turnover of people at our standalone bar, people seemed happy and the bar appeared efficient. No horror stories like what had come out of Oga's west, am I right in thinking all orders had to be placed at the bar in Oga's west? This was all table service unless you were seated at the bar.

A couple of friends where in Florida at the same time and they had a very similar experience.
That was my experience. We were pleased, as were our kids. Booked it again for December. Drinks were pricey but unique.

Stripes

Now that's an interesting story, but I need to make sure when I tell it that I'm not blowing the cover on who told who. The Cliff Notes version is that they knew it might not be a hit, but the compartmentalization of SWGE development meant the beverages hadn't been widely experienced by key persons. I don't remember which outlet it was, but I have a friend who was present during media day at DLR and witnessed a media personality describe the beverage as "slimy". That really was when they started sweating.
They don’t do tasting tests with outsiders?

I would think for such an important product Disney would get the opinion of 100+ outsiders before launch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom