A Tale of Booze in Batuu

WDW Pro

Original Poster
Prepare to see a retooling of Oga's Cantina menu items by Spring of 2020. Disney E&P has done extensive data analysis of both the Anaheim and Orlando consumer responses, and there is serious room for improvement.

First, the data shows that Oga's at DLR consumer engagement is actually not being driven by the desired factors (Star Wars fan experience, guest new experience, etc)... and rather, the venue is being driven in large part by the desire of adults to have adult beverages in DLR. Unfortunately, with this becoming the major factor in guest participation, the extreme costs of the menu items is leading to poor word-of-mouth and poor guest reception to the experience. So while revenues are excellent in DLR for Oga's, this isn't currently seen as leading to net positive long term outcomes due to the disconnect in the targeted versus real demographics. Meanwhile, in DHS, Oga's is underperforming already to a significant degree. At this point, TDO management believes the lack of guest interest for Oga's rests on the fact that there are many alcohol options throughout Walt Disney World, and even at Hollywood Studios. With these alternative options, guest spending at Oga's in DHS is far, far lower than at DL (as much as 35% lower in the past week). And with the number of hardcore Star Wars fans willing to drop exorbitant amounts of money on novelty drinks not materializing, E&P is now working on developing a second, lower-priced set of offerings to keep traffic high throughout next year. There is also a strong push to get another adult beverage option open in DL, but that's a contentious position and Chapek would likely have to make the call. There is clearly money to be had if the change is made (not that I'm in support).

You can also expect to see new formulas for blue and green milk, but that's a separate topic. Disney wanted their own version of butter beer, but the consumer research has shown both products are receiving nightmarish receptions. Whereas a Dole Whip or a Lefou's Brew have drastically positive-to-negative reviews, both blue and green milk are actually net negative in guest experience. That's something you never, ever, ever want to see when launching a new beverage / snack / entree. You would typically want at least 4-1 positive to negative, so to actually go negative is horrendous.

Monorail_Orange

Prepare to see a retooling of Oga's Cantina menu items by Spring of 2020. Disney E&P has done extensive data analysis of both the Anaheim and Orlando consumer responses, and there is serious room for improvement.

First, the data shows that Oga's at DLR consumer engagement is actually not being driven by the desired factors (Star Wars fan experience, guest new experience, etc)... and rather, the venue is being driven in large part by the desire of adults to have adult beverages in DLR. Unfortunately, with this becoming the major factor in guest participation, the extreme costs of the menu items is leading to poor word-of-mouth and poor guest reception to the experience. So while revenues are excellent in DLR for Oga's, this isn't currently seen as leading to net positive long term outcomes due to the disconnect in the targeted versus real demographics. Meanwhile, in DHS, Oga's is underperforming already to a significant degree. At this point, TDO management believes the lack of guest interest for Oga's rests on the fact that there are many alcohol options throughout Walt Disney World, and even at Hollywood Studios. With these alternative options, guest spending at Oga's in DHS is far, far lower than at DL (as much as 35% lower in the past week). And with the number of hardcore Star Wars fans willing to drop exorbitant amounts of money on novelty drinks not materializing, E&P is now working on developing a second, lower-priced set of offerings to keep traffic high throughout next year. There is also a strong push to get another adult beverage option open in DL, but that's a contentious position and Chapek would likely have to make the call. There is clearly money to be had if the change is made (not that I'm in support).

You can also expect to see new formulas for blue and green milk, but that's a separate topic. Disney wanted their own version of butter beer, but the consumer research has shown both products are receiving nightmarish receptions. Whereas a Dole Whip or a Lefou's Brew have drastically positive-to-negative reviews, both blue and green milk are actually net negative in guest experience. That's something you never, ever, ever want to see when launching a new beverage / snack / entree. You would typically want at least 4-1 positive to negative, so to actually go negative is horrendous.
Wow. So if we extrapolate from here...$hapek's virtually then guaranteed to OK another alcohol sales location in Walt's park. And I completely agree with the need to rework the "milk" formulas. I've said it before but they were both a one and done for my daughter and I in current form. Interesting that they are actually "getting it" to a degree and will look to retool the Oga's menu. This seems fairly encouraging. The only negative is likely another alcohol sales location in DL, but I think we've all reached a consensus that that was inevitable at some point.

brettf22

Premium Member
You can also expect to see new formulas for blue and green milk ...

Yeah, the blue milk taste (and consistency) was ... interesting. I didn’t think it was bad, but not something I would do again. And definitely not what I was expecting.

Then again, if it doesn’t taste exactly like the blue milk left over after eating a bowl of Boo Berry cereal, it will never match the expectations forged in my 9-year-old mind in 1977. 😄

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Vegan Dragon Fruit or Mandarin Orange carbohydrate slurries even with alcohol are not appetizing. The mixed drinks while some do come in interesting souvenir containers, the ones in the normal cups are just uninspired.

I believe that the suits extrapolated the popularity and sales of Trader Sams a bit too much when designing the wares for Oga's.

Ravenclaw78

the venue is being driven in large part by the desire of adults to have adult beverages in DLR.

This should surprise absolutely nobody, and was obvious from day 1 when Oga's had a longer wait than MFSR and Savi's combined. Same thing happened with Be Our Guest when it opened as the only place you could get alcohol in Magic Kingdom. I'm not going to take a position on whether serving alcohol at more venues in DL will negatively alter the parks, but I think it's inevitable that Oga's will open the floodgates for the rest of DL.

As for the Blue/Green milks, I have not tried them (with or without alcohol) yet, but reviews from guests who like very fruity drinks seem to have been generally positive and those of guests who don't have ranged from "ehh, it was OK but probably one and done" to "this tastes worse than the stuff they gave me before my colonoscopy". I really appreciate them being non-dairy (lactose and I don't get along very well, and it drives me nuts that JKR won't let me have a Butterbeer without the topping), but I can't imagine rice "milk" mixed with tropical fruit is what anyone imagined blue milk tasting like, and they're clearly way overpriced.

cjkeating

Demand for Oga's appeared high when I was there mid hurricane, they were turning people away who didn't have reservations and the bar appeared full.

I would say we only had one drink each simply because they are a) expensive and b) we had tried out Baseline earlier in the day which offers cheaper drinks. I don't know if adding basic/cheaper drinks will help as if I want to go to Oga's I'd want something unique but just not at the prices they are charging.

Weather_Lady

I suspect that demand at DHS will only stay high until everybody's "done it once," since all most guests are really paying for is to see the inside.

I'm a total Star Wars nerd, but our experience at Oga's (granted, it was at DL, not Orlando) was so abysmal (disappearing server, filthy table, 30+ minute wait for 4 drinks, 3 of which were missing major components and garnishes), I wouldn't go back for anything. I even took the rare step of writing an e-mail to Disney afterward to relate our experience (which, once I'd taken a look at online reviews, I realized was not that anomalous: many others described similar treatment). I got a boilerplate response back to the effect of, "we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations but whatevs." I got the strong sense that don't really give a rat's patoot about the quality of the CMs or the menu offerings at Oga's, because they aren't really expecting anyone to come back a second time.

Last edited:

beertiki

At Trader Sam's several of the drink recipes have been around for decades - zombie, Mai tai, pain killer. You can also get an alcoholic dole whip. Some people want to try something new, but there are a lot of drinkers who drink the same few drinks every time. I would also like to see Oga's serve Bud Light drafts. They could even use the green beer for St Patrick's day year round so that it does not look like beer from off world.

The simplest solution to the blue milk problem is a slushier version of the dole whip dyed blue.

Rodan75

I don't know what it is like on the ground at DHS, but it is impossible to get an Oga's reservation right now well into October. So there is demand, and people have no problem paying crazy prices for liquor at WDW, the menu is just weak. I'm surprised they aren't making adjustments before Christmas.

Epcotfan21

Not just similar...I think some of the beers are identical lol
Yea, I don't doubt it. Also Baseline is a place that I can enjoy sitting, take my time and relax. I don't want to look at my watch or get a glance/awkward look from the waiter at Oga's that our time is up.

RobWDW1971

I suspect that demand at DHS will only stay high until everybody's "done it once," since all most guests are really paying for is to see the inside.

I'm a total Star Wars nerd, but our experience at Oga's (granted, it was at DL, not Orlando) was so abysmal (disappearing server, filthy table, 30+ minute wait for 4 drinks, 3 of which were missing major components and garnishes), I wouldn't go back for anything. I even took the rare step of writing an e-mail to Disney afterward to relate our experience (which, once I'd taken a look at online reviews, I realized was not that anomalous: many others described similar treatment). I got a boilerplate response back to the effect of, "we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations but whatevs." I got the strong sense that don't really give a rat's patoot about the quality of the CMs or the menu offerings at Oga's, and aren't really expecting anyone to come back a second time.

Similar experiences as late as last week when I went back to give it another try to cut them some slack after the opening chaos. Terrible on all fronts - service, cleanliness, etc.

Also, can we PLEASE have more cocktail options that are not filled with sugar?

Also, I have absolutely zero problem with alcohol in the other sit down restaurants at DL. When I go to Magic Kingdom or all the parks around the world, I never give it a second thought and I enjoy the experience.

This is just an odd "Walt didn't want it" leftover that seems out of touch to the real world since it is no longer theoretical as it is being served in the other castle parks and across the esplanade for 18 years.

Once this silly restriction is lifted and I'm enjoying my glass of wine at the Blue Bayou, it will be hard to imagine there was a time without.

po1998

At Trader Sam's several of the drink recipes have been around for decades - zombie, Mai tai, pain killer. You can also get an alcoholic dole whip. Some people want to try something new, but there are a lot of drinkers who drink the same few drinks every time. I would also like to see Oga's serve Bud Light drafts. They could even use the green beer for St Patrick's day year round so that it does not look like beer from off world.

The simplest solution to the blue milk problem is a slushier version of the dole whip dyed blue.
Why not just serve the equivalent of blue and green 7-11 slurpees, and call it a day?

KevinPage

Been to Oga’s twice at DHS. Opening day (walk ups only) and then last week (had reservation).

Thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Sure it’s more expensive but it’s an experience so I’m okay with paying more for alcohol. Normally I don’t pay $9 for a beer to walk around the park with. But I’ll pay $12 at Oga’s cause it’s an experience.

Not a single reservation available this weekend, I’ve been trying all week. So I can’t see how they are hurting for business as it’s been packed and always with a line both times I went (all day).

I’m okay if they changed both milks. I liked both and will get them again but $8 is steep. $5-6 should be the cost, but that’s wishful thinking.

A lower tier of drinks would be nice at Oga’s and LESS ICE. I’m willing to be overcharged so at least give me a proper pour 😜😜😜

Last edited:

JohnD

Other than green veggies, the thought of any other green food doesn't sound appetizing, especially milk. Eww.

JohnD

I'm a total Star Wars nerd, but our experience at Oga's (granted, it was at DL, not Orlando) was so abysmal (disappearing server, filthy table, 30+ minute wait for 4 drinks, 3 of which were missing major components and garnishes), I wouldn't go back for anything. I even took the rare step of writing an e-mail to Disney afterward to relate our experience (which, once I'd taken a look at online reviews, I realized was not that anomalous: many others described similar treatment). I got a boilerplate response back to the effect of, "we're sorry we didn't meet your expectations but whatevs." I got the strong sense that don't really give a rat's patoot about the quality of the CMs or the menu offerings at Oga's, and aren't really expecting anyone to come back a second time.

As with the OPs post, I get the appeal at DL. Very few options for alcohol like in MK. And the opposite at DHS. Plenty of places to get alcohol in DHS, including Baseline right outside GE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom