News Tomorrowland love

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sign: Meh... So bland and generic. It fits brilliantly with this "leadership" team, though.

Yeah, but that’s what happened in the ill-fated refurb from 10 years ago. Although I assume what you said means that there’s no new refurb being planned to your knowledge, how exactly would the cuts made in the 2009 refurb have any bearing on what happens with a potential future refurb?

As Martin mentioned, people keep coming and riding, so they see no reason to put anymore than the minimum into it. Most guests don't complain, so nothing's going to happen. This is reflective of the new Disney norm - Good enough is good enough, if you can raise prices, do so, and anything big, bold, or requiring CapEx is either highly, highly scrutinized for ROI or just forbidden because it's "risky". IMHO, improving Space Mountain, or even making the ride itself decent again, won't happen as long as Iger and Cheapek are around.

BoarderPhreak

I think it's a huge improvement over the wannabe steampunk(ish) look they had going before, if you ask me. It's a throwback to the old days (and the spire waterfalls) and more atomic/space age. It's simple, but that's the beauty - it's already timeless. It also doesn't compete with the (broken) Astro Orbiter in the background.

Now we just need to get Flight to Mars back online... 😉

trainplane3

Finally a good quality picture (until @wdwmagic gets there):
EEqm58sXUAE4Czk.jpg:orig

It does go nicely with the "new" Monsters sign:
dsc07460.jpg

I like the new sign. Personally, I would like to see them get rid of more of the "fins" and rocket looking things. They just feel outdated to me.
It's happening very slowly (hopefully they continue with it).

Last edited:

Donaldfan1934

Because the crowds keep coming (mostly)?

I’ve heard of nothing new. Which of course isn’t nearly everything.
Thanks for your insight. I understand why things are the way they are, but I do hold out at least a little sliver of hope that the added capacity of Tron might help push things in the opposite direction once that opens.
As Martin mentioned, people keep coming and riding, so they see no reason to put anymore than the minimum into it. Most guests don't complain, so nothing's going to happen. This is reflective of the new Disney norm - Good enough is good enough, if you can raise prices, do so, and anything big, bold, or requiring CapEx is either highly, highly scrutinized for ROI or just forbidden because it's "risky". IMHO, improving Space Mountain, or even making the ride itself decent again, won't happen as long as Iger and Cheapek are around.
I largely agree with what you’re saying, but I think it’s less of an Iger and Chapek thing and more of a WDW management thing. Despite the influence of the Bob’s, the other parks around the world have continually managed to refurb and update their attraction’s accordingly. WDW, on the other hand, keeps their attractions running as long as possible and with the vast majority of refurbs only lasting long enough to serve existing maintenence needs. Keep in mind that Martin also put the blame of the 2009 refurb going the way it did on Phil Holmes, who was VP of MK at the time, and not anyone above TDO. So, while there’s no denying the faults of Iger and Chapek, what’s happened to Space Mountain and various other attractions across the resort in need of plusing is almost exclusively a WDW problem.

Donaldfan1934

Finally a good quality picture (until @wdwmagic gets there):
EEqm58sXUAE4Czk.jpg:orig

It does go nicely with the "new" Monsters sign:
dsc07460.jpg

It's happening very slowly (hopefully they continue with it).

The sign looks great. Probably the most definitive step forward in this weirdly executed step by step redo of the land. That being said, the fact that they did nothing to make the bases match the new/old look is triggering my OCD.

ImperfectPixie

The sign looks great. Probably the most definitive step forward in this weirdly executed step by step redo of the land. That being said, the fact that they did nothing to make the bases match the new/old look is triggering my OCD.
They should have at least power-washed them or something. (I noticed that right away too, but I have a background in the sign industry, so I wasn't sure if it would just be me who noticed.)

UNCgolf

Totally agree. The base looks bizarre and out of place with what's attached to it.

Also, looking through the sign at the Astro Orbiter (and the other fins etc.) is serious clash of styles. While the Astro Orbiter is down, they should go ahead and re-do it so it doesn't look so dissonant.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thanks for your insight. I understand why things are the way they are, but I do hold out at least a little sliver of hope that the added capacity of Tron might help push things in the opposite direction once that opens.

I largely agree with what you’re saying, but I think it’s less of an Iger and Chapek thing and more of a WDW management thing. Despite the influence of the Bob’s, the other parks around the world have continually managed to refurb and update their attraction’s accordingly. WDW, on the other hand, keeps their attractions running as long as possible and with the vast majority of refurbs only lasting long enough to serve existing maintenence needs. Keep in mind that Martin also put the blame of the 2009 refurb going the way it did on Phil Holmes, who was VP of MK at the time, and not anyone above TDO. So, while there’s no denying the faults of Iger and Chapek, what’s happened to Space Mountain and various other attractions across the resort in need of plusing is almost exclusively a WDW problem.

Oh yes. Believe me, I have no love for TDO or their management philosophies. :) Their deficiencies have just been amplified in the past 10 years or so, starting with Iger and Staggs' belief that the theme parks were "mature" and didn't require significant investment. $hapek is getting credit for approving spending, which I will begrudgingly acknowledge, but it's still playing catch-up for a decade of neglect. And there are many, many questions about how that money is being spent, along with $hapek's IP mandate. Let's just say I think there's a lot of good that could have come around Tomorrowland from the money being used to build Tron. Or maybe not, given WDI's profligate ways these days.

Donaldfan1934

Totally agree. The base looks bizarre and out of place with what's attached to it.

Also, looking through the sign at the Astro Orbiter (and the other fins etc.) is serious clash of styles. While the Astro Orbiter is down, they should go ahead and re-do it so it doesn't look so dissonant.
I was thinking the exact same thing as you were about Astro Orbiter. The current refurb was an emergency refurb, so I understand why they may not have the necessary parts prepped if a redo. However, I can’t imagine that it won’t be touched again sometime befor the 50th given the way everrything else is going aesthetically right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom