Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

drizgirl

Latest word I have from a few days ago is that TDO is now expecting to have to announce a delay for the opening, but they're holding off on the announcement so as to not damage potential holiday resort bookings. Things continue to go poorly at both construction sites, the budget continues to balloon beyond requirements, and TDA is frankly in freak-out mode because September attendance is continuing to be abysmal even with APs unlocked. DHS data is beginning to settle in, and MFSR is regularly being outperformed in riders and queue times by Slinky Dog AND RnRC after 1:00 pm.

Reshoots are continuing for Episode 9 until October. Post production will go right down to the wire. Top executives at Disney have gotten involved with JJ and have given specific, direct orders to make certain changes in an attempt to bolster the entire franchise. Rian Johnson was given official notice by Disney that he is no longer to confirm he is making any future trilogy or working on any future movies. He was given the ability to be ambiguous about it, but no more confirmations per Disney legal. Essentially, he's a dead man walking when it comes to ever working with Star Wars again.
Ruh roh.

999th Happy Haunt

Latest word I have from a few days ago is that TDO is now expecting to have to announce a delay for the opening, but they're holding off on the announcement so as to not damage potential holiday resort bookings. Things continue to go poorly at both construction sites, the budget continues to balloon beyond requirements, and TDA is frankly in freak-out mode because September attendance is continuing to be abysmal even with APs unlocked. DHS data is beginning to settle in, and MFSR is regularly being outperformed in riders and queue times by Slinky Dog AND RnRC after 1:00 pm.

Reshoots are continuing for Episode 9 until October. Post production will go right down to the wire. Top executives at Disney have gotten involved with JJ and have given specific, direct orders to make certain changes in an attempt to bolster the entire franchise. Rian Johnson was given official notice by Disney that he is no longer to confirm he is making any future trilogy or working on any future movies. He was given the ability to be ambiguous about it, but no more confirmations per Disney legal. Essentially, he's a dead man walking when it comes to ever working with Star Wars again.
My god I hope this isn't true. My trip is only a few days after it's set to open.

mhaftman7

I’m not gonna lie, this thread is waaaay too long to try to catch up on. Is it possible to have the original poster edit/update the original post to reflect what we know and what is rumored about the ride? I’ve heard a lot of things from DVC members from it being anywhere from 7 to 25 minutes long and having a complete interaction with Kylo Ren?

WDW Pro

My DL source recently (last weekend) told me that they were having a great day because there were no breakdowns. Maybe they spoke too soon? WiFi was the initial issue. I mentioned this a long time ago with my DL source, that I worked in Networking and when the AP gets too busy it will drop off connections. I suggested something as simple as replacing patch cables, because they were dropping hundreds of milliseconds of connectivity all the time - which sounds like a "leak" from the APs. I've gotten store bought and home made cables and had issues that I fixed with a cable replacement. Next maybe the APs are not robust enough to handle the traffic they need to handle. There are 30 show vehicles that need to communicate and most APs get flaky after 15-20 simultaneous connections, and will start dumping random connections. I suggested adding MORE APs as well. Lastly, they are inside a giant steel Faraday cage, for all intents and purposes, and there just may be too much interference. Obviously there are rides like Ratatouille that are doing it with their vehicles, Winnie the Pooh too. I don't work for Disney, so no one is gonna listen to me, which is why I suggested it to my contact, to suggest to their bosses. My contact works directly with the ride vehicles too.

I've heard rumors of in-floor puck issues, but my contact at DL says nothing has been changed out in their ride building. DHS was plagued from the start with building issues - pieces in the wrong spots, flooding because scruppers were not installed either in time or at all, before major Florida rains came and wiped out $$$ of computer equipment, mold issues because of the water damage, whole crews/companies being fired and new ones coming in to basically start over.

Heck, they (DHS) had to hold off on their First Order/Kylo Ren show for a few weeks because rains had damaged and soaked the interior of the TIE Echelon set. They had to let it dry out and seal it properly.

Anyone else got insight into issues?

You might want to check with that source... DLR floors were completely destroyed to redo the in ground sensors.

As for the new likely DHS opening, I've heard 12/14 is currently best case scenario.

Purduevian

I’m not gonna lie, this thread is waaaay too long to try to catch up on. Is it possible to have the original poster edit/update the original post to reflect what we know and what is rumored about the ride? I’ve heard a lot of things from DVC members from it being anywhere from 7 to 25 minutes long and having a complete interaction with Kylo Ren?

I'm not an insider, and going off memory.
  • Ride should be one of the best and most complex Disney rides ever
  • Main ride time in the 4.5-7 minute range
  • Elaborate preshow involving a second "ride" similar to elevator on Gringotts and the massive hanger quene, is being included in those "25 minute" estimates
  • Story line: Helping rebels on a mission in a cargo ship that gets captured by first order on a star destroyer, placed in a prisoner transport, attempt to escape while running into Kylo, AT-ATs, and storm troopers, enter escape pod where we drop (literally) in a drop shaft onto a simulator which crashes back on Batuu
  • Ride announced to open December 5th for HS, but many insiders are saying it might not happen do to the complexity of the ride causing bugs.
  • I just learned through misspelling that Battu (almost Batuu) means beaten in French which kinda fits the theme of the land
Any more specific questions can probably be asked, but that would be the general outline I think.

ToTBellHop

You might want to check with that source... DLR floors were completely destroyed to redo the in ground sensors.

As for the new likely DHS opening, I've heard 12/14 is currently best case scenario.
Ah. When you said they expected a delay, I interpreted that as “into 2020”, but I shouldn’t have. I had heard it would be quite close, but that Christmas Week was viewed as necessary. Of course, you and I know things can always slip with such complex projects.

I was surprised they gave such a precise date earlier this year. “Both will open this winter” would have been far safer. Missing an announced opening by even a week or two on such a high-profile project would be extremely embarrassing. I hope Chapek is fired over the rollout of this project. Such a cluster.

britain

I really hate to be that guy but here goes...this thread is about rise of the resistance and not about the merits of the state of the Star Wars brand as well as any leadership decisons by Kennedy and Co...they are plenty of other places to speak about the Star Wars Franchise.

Here here! (Although, I think it was brought up by @WDW Pro along the lines of "Crowds remain low - it must be because the Star Wars brand is tarnished or because people continue to wait for RotR which is still a headache.")

Darth Snips

Here here! (Although, I think it was brought up by @WDW Pro along the lines of "Crowds remain low - it must be because the Star Wars brand is tarnished or because people continue to wait for RotR which is still a headache.")
I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and I think jumping to this conclusion (“GE has low crowds because the Star Wars IP is tarnished”) is a big mistake. To me, this conclusion only agrees with everything Iger and Chapek have been doing.

I’ve always felt that IP is ultimately irrelevant when it comes to theme park attractions. IP doesn’t make an attraction inherently good, bad, popular, etc. I think the attraction itself accomplishes those things. If Mystic Manor opened up in Magic Kingdom tomorrow, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be wildly successful. Because even though it has no recognizable characters or locations, it’s just a great ride.

I believe guests will always recognize a good ride, regardless of its form. I hate to bring Universal into this, but Fast and Furious was a disaster despite being one of the most profitable and widely recognized IPs in the world. Why? Because it was just a bad ride, and people saw that.

To me, if we come to the conclusion that the negative opinions around the Star Wars IP is impacting GE on such a level, we are only confirming what Iger and Chapek have said all along: IP is the single most important factor determining the success of any theme park attraction. And for now, until further evidence emerges to support their view, I’m just not buying that.

By the way, this is coming from a guy who absolutely adores GE and MF:SR. But right now, I’m being forced to consider the notion that maybe my opinion is the minority. Maybe guests just aren’t that impressed by Falcon, and don’t view it as enough to justify large scale excitement. Obviously it’s still too early to make any kind of judgment, but at the end of the day, I’m going judge the success of an attraction based on the attraction itself. Because I just don’t think an IP is so powerful that it could convince people to not show up to a great theme park.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and I think jumping to this conclusion (“GE has low crowds because the Star Wars IP is tarnished”) is a big mistake. To me, this conclusion only agrees with and confirms everything Iger and Chapek have been doing.

I’ve always felt that IP is ultimately irrelevant when it comes to theme park attractions. IP doesn’t make an attraction inherently good, bad, popular, etc. I think the attraction itself accomplished those things. If Mystic Manor opened up in Magic Kingdom tomorrow, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be wildly successful. Because even though it has no recognizable characters or locations, it’s just a great ride.

I believe guests will always recognize a good ride, regardless of its form. I hate to bring Universal into this, but Fast and Furious was a disaster despite being one of the most profitable and widely recognized IPs in the world. Why? Because it was just a bad ride, and people saw that.

To me, if we come to the conclusion that the negative opinions around the Star Wars IP is impacting GE on such a level, we are only confirming what Iger and Chapek have said all along: IP is the single most important factor determining the success of any theme park attraction. And for now, until further evidence emerges to support their view, I’m just not buying that.

By the way, this is coming from a guy who absolutely adores GE and MF:SR. But right now, I’m being forced to consider the notion that maybe my opinion is the minority. Maybe guests just aren’t that impressed by Falcon, and don’t view it as enough to justify large scale excitement. Obviously it’s still too early to make any kind of judgment, but at the end of the day, I’m going judge the success of an attraction based on the attraction itself. Because I just don’t think an IP is so powerful that it could convince people to not show up to a great theme park.

I seriously think Rise will fix many problems those have with Batuu, I personally loved Batuu as well. I do recognize though it NEEDS Rise. Rise is so important to the land, it’s like opening Pandora without Flight of Passage which right now is my favorite ride I’ve ever experienced. I’m confident Rise can top it though. The land as a whole for me was deeply satisfying and that includes the merch. Smugglers Run was exactly what I wanted from a falcon ride, it’s no Flight of Passage but it’s a great addition to WDW.

britain

I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and I think jumping to this conclusion (“GE has low crowds because the Star Wars IP is tarnished”) is a big mistake. To me, this conclusion only agrees with and confirms everything Iger and Chapek have been doing.

I’ve always felt that IP is ultimately irrelevant when it comes to theme park attractions. IP doesn’t make an attraction inherently good, bad, popular, etc. I think the attraction itself accomplished those things. If Mystic Manor opened up in Magic Kingdom tomorrow, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be wildly successful. Because even though it has no recognizable characters or locations, it’s just a great ride.

Very wise. To believe that the Star Wars IP is what will drive success or failure at the parks, is to believe that IPs matter most.

(I personally do think IPs are the most effective marketing hook, but the actual rides need to deliver the goods.)

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really hate to be that guy but here goes...this thread is about rise of the resistance and not about the merits of the state of the Star Wars brand as well as any leadership decisons by Kennedy and Co...they are plenty of other places to speak about the Star Wars Franchise.
I get your point...but that would depend largely on an opinion of whether you think the State of the IP matters?

Different conversation maybe...but valid?
I seriously think Rise will fix many problems those have with Batuu, I personally loved Batuu as well. I do recognize though it NEEDS Rise. Rise is so important to the land, it’s like opening Pandora without Flight of Passage which right now is my favorite ride I’ve ever experienced. I’m confident Rise can top it though. The land as a whole for me was deeply satisfying and that includes the merch. Smugglers Run was exactly what I wanted from a falcon ride, it’s no Flight of Passage but it’s a great addition to WDW.
And now I hate to be THAT guy...but that’s putting a ton of burden on what is in the end a dark ride.

Even if it’s great it may not help be a driver. As the IP again becomes the issue...so we’re back to square one.

Resonance of the IP is in question.

BigHero4

Any chance that there may be a RoTR soft opening before December 5 at DHS? I'll be there earlier in the week but not on 12/5.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom