Changes to Fastpass+ Tiers at Hollywood Studios Effective 8.29

MrPromey

Is it possible they might let you select up to 2 "Tier 1" attractions?

Tier 1: RotR, MFSR, SDD, MMRR

Tier 2: ToT, RnRC, Alien, TSM, Star Tours, Frozen, Indy, VotLM, BatB, F!, Disney Junior,

Anything is possible but if they did, it would nearly defeat the purpose of them even having the tiers since we're talking about only three fastpasses, to begin with.

nickys

Premium Member
I think once MMRR opens, DHS will have probably 6 rides that would be T1 at Epcot or AK.

Not sure I agree. EE is only tier 2 at AK. The only tier 1 rides there are the two Pandora ones, and that’s only because they were the new ones. They should probably scrap the tiers at AK now, despite the popularity of FoP.

ToTBellHop

Not sure I agree. EE is only tier 2 at AK. The only tier 1 rides there are the two Pandora ones, and that’s only because they were the new ones. They should probably scrap the tiers at AK now, despite the popularity of FoP.
People still want to be "guaranteed" a Pandora ride. Without tiers, starting perhaps 55 days out, there'd be no Pandora FPs available. With tiers, sometimes there are still NRJ FPs available at 30 days. FoP still routinely sells out about 63 days out. There is an expectation that they'll make an effort to ensure at least the Resort guests get a ride. This was similarly the thought with having no FP at SWGE at first and having Extra Extra Magic Hours instead.

Personally, I would have had the EEMH 12/5/19 through 1/5/20, when I think they'll be needed. But they didn't ask me.

nickys

Premium Member
People still want to be "guaranteed" a Pandora ride. Without tiers, starting perhaps 55 days out, there'd be no Pandora FPs available. With tiers, sometimes there are still NRJ FPs available at 30 days. FoP still routinely sells out about 63 days out. There is an expectation that they'll make an effort to ensure at least the Resort guests get a ride. This was similarly the thought with having no FP at SWGE at first and having Extra Extra Magic Hours instead.

Personally, I would have had the EEMH 12/5/19 through 1/5/20, when I think they'll be needed. But they didn't ask me.

I think the EEMH will be reinstated for the RotR opening. But maybe not for as long this time, at least not at the beginning.

Fox&Hound

I feel like another short-term solution would be to update the three ancient shows on property: Mermaid, Indy, and BatB. If they replaced Mermaid and BatB with exciting new shows and they gave us a ride in place of Indy we would be in much better shape. How these shows continue to limp along is beyond me. If you have never seen Indy, it is still impressive, but Mermaid and BatB were bad when they started and are an embarrassment at this point.

beertiki

It would be interesting to know what % of fast passes at DHS are just thrown away. We never use all 3, and either schedule the first one early enough so that we miss it, or schedule the last one as close as possible in distance to our 2nd so that we can just scan and not ride. CMs seem used to people saying that they are 2 hours early and they only want to scan and leave to go to another park.

nickys

Premium Member
It would be interesting to know what % of fast passes at DHS are just thrown away. We never use all 3, and either schedule the first one early enough so that we miss it, or schedule the last one as close as possible in distance to our 2nd so that we can just scan and not ride. CMs seem used to people saying that they are 2 hours early and they only want to scan and leave to go to another park.

If you’re going to another park, you don’t need to book throw-away FPs.

Just book the one you want and when you tap in you can go ahead and make the remaining two of your initial FPs at another park.

You only need to use up your tier2 FPs if you want to try for another tier1 in the same park.

Magic Feather

Is that just at opening or forever? I ask because the entrance seemed to have three line options, just like MFSR.
Should be forever. Two of the "three lines" you saw were Fastpass line entrances. It is set up like the new TSMM FP entrance or FoP with four touchpoint instead of two. All new rides with a decent capacity are being built with four touchpoint to alleviate the congestion and backups that two caused.

CAV

I have a "fear" about that. Big Brother Mickey knows everything you do. I fear that if you are getting FPs and not using them, the system will start locking you out of getting FPs based on your history.

Markiewong

If you’re going to another park, you don’t need to book throw-away FPs.

Just book the one you want and when you tap in you can go ahead and make the remaining two of your initial FPs at another park.

You only need to use up your tier2 FPs if you want to try for another tier1 in the same park.
One question, if I only book my tier1 FPs in Epcot or Hollywood Studios and no/only one of tier 2. Can I try booking my second/third FP in the same park in the tier1 category upon checking in my last fastpass?

mikejs78

Premium Member
One question, if I only book my tier1 FPs in Epcot or Hollywood Studios and no/only one of tier 2. Can I try booking my second/third FP in the same park in the tier1 category upon checking in my last fastpass?
Nope. For the first park you make FPs in, you must use three FPs before you can book another tier 1. You can book another tier 1 in another park though.

Markiewong

Nope. For the first park you make FPs in, you must use three FPs before you can book another tier 1. You can book another tier 1 in another park though.
But what happens if I only book a tier1 and not book the other two at all? Will the app force me to book two tier2 FPs one by one? In general, what would be suggested as strategy for HS now that almost all attractions are moved into tier1?

mikejs78

Premium Member
But what happens if I only book a tier1 and not book the other two at all? Will the app force me to book two tier2 FPs one by one? In general, what would be suggested as strategy for HS now that almost all attractions are moved into tier1?
Yes, it would force you. What I would do is book my tier 1 as early as possible, then book a tier 2 as soon as I tap in to my tier 1. Then go and tap in to my tier 2 but don't actually ride or attend the show if if I don't want to. Book my third tier 2 and do the same. Then you are free to try to book other tier 1s.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Thanks! This is something I didn’t know. Useful when starting at DHS in particular.
Exactly what I did. I had a business trip to Orlando in May, so went solo with a park hopper. Did Slinky and RnRC with FPs early afternoon, then once I tapped into RnRC I immediately booked a FP for Test Track, and headed over to Epcot. Also got one for Soarin after that. Stayed for F&G food and my last ever viewing of RoE. That was a great day.

TimeTrip

Yes, it would force you. What I would do is book my tier 1 as early as possible, then book a tier 2 as soon as I tap in to my tier 1. Then go and tap in to my tier 2 but don't actually ride or attend the show if if I don't want to. Book my third tier 2 and do the same. Then you are free to try to book other tier 1s.
Do you have to do in-park? Or can you book all 3 ahead of time for the morning (one tier 1 and two tier 2), tap in on all, and then get another tier 1? Or are you betting that you can book the tier2's for an earlier time than pre-booking because you tapped then booked therefore getting around the pre-booking overlap restriction?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Do you have to do in-park? Or can you book all 3 ahead of time for the morning (one tier 1 and two tier 2), tap in on all, and then get another tier 1? Or are you betting that you can book the tier2's for an earlier time than pre-booking because you tapped then booked therefore getting around the pre-booking overlap restriction?

If you book them ahead of time they're laid out in hour long windows. So you would burn one at 9, one at 10, one at 11.

If you do as suggested in the previous post, you'd burn one at 9, likely ride that ride, so then you could burn the next at 9:15 ish, and the next at 9:20. Then you could try for another tier one FP by 9:30 instead of 11:05 or whatever

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom