Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

WDW Pro

Thanks for the info. Are you able to give any "type" description of the other two options? (I completely understand if the answer is no.)

Almost certainly an indoor coaster. This is more needed in DLR than in DHS (as in attraction portfolio needs, not number of attractions), but it would be difficult to imagine building one for DLR and not one for DHS. However, consider that a 250 million investment (500 million total) would be done for only two reasons: 1) if capacity were in an issue, and 2) if the area is internally deemed to be failing its goals by late January / early February. I think more likely in the short term is that they rework the land to include OT characters and stories.

doctornick

The thrill ride is one of three options on the table, and amounts can and do change. A lot depends on how Episode 9 is received, how RotR drives attendance, etc.

We'll see how RotR plays out, but SW:GE needs a long, no height restriction ride more than a thrill ride. Implicit in much of the concerns is that the land does not "have enough to do" and a shorter thrill ride that not everyone can go on wouldn't solve the issue as much as a longer ride time dark ride would.

The land of course would also benefit from a proper show in addition to streetmosphere.

bclane

We'll see how RotR plays out, but SW:GE needs a long, no height restriction ride more than a thrill ride. Implicit in much of the concerns is that the land does not "have enough to do" and a shorter thrill ride that not everyone can go on wouldn't solve the issue as much as a longer ride time dark ride would.

The land of course would also benefit from a proper show in addition to streetmosphere.
How about a Jar Jar Binks shooting gallery and a pilot your own X-wing spinner for the kiddos (and me) and a big boy Star Wars roller coaster for the big kids (and me). That sounds totally fair.

Rogue1138

Almost certainly an indoor coaster. This is more needed in DLR than in DHS (as in attraction portfolio needs, not number of attractions), but it would be difficult to imagine building one for DLR and not one for DHS. However, consider that a 250 million investment (500 million total) would be done for only two reasons: 1) if capacity were in an issue, and 2) if the area is internally deemed to be failing its goals by late January / early February. I think more likely in the short term is that they rework the land to include OT characters and stories.

Outside of personal preferences, is including OT characters really going to change anything? A stormtrooper is a stormtrooper. Swap Kylo for Vader, swap Rey for Solo/Luke. Nothing really changes. If GE is considered a failure on both coasts, I don't think a minor theme change will bring larger crowds. Cantina, Savi's, Oga's are not timeline specific. Falcon isn't really either since Hondo has been around since Clone Wars and you can use the terms Rebels or Resistance in either case.

I haven't been there myself yet but I think the land has a problem of stuff to do and buy. One ride, a pricey lightsaber, droid or a limited time bar experience, especially for a family. QSR doesn't really have enough variety for the unadventurous or picky eaters. Themed giftshop items are fantastic for nerds like me but does a casual fan or average theme park goer care about Yoda's cane or a First Order officer uniform? Not so much. My boys (5 and 3) love Star Wars but I dread going just because I know they'll want a lightsaber, a droid, etc etc and I don't want to drop a mortgage payment in a few acres of theme park.

doctornick

I haven't been there myself yet but I think the land has a problem of stuff to do and buy. One ride, a pricey lightsaber, droid or a limited time bar experience, especially for a family. QSR doesn't really have enough variety for the unadventurous or picky eaters. Themed giftshop items are fantastic for nerds like me but does a casual fan or average theme park goer care about Yoda's cane or a First Order officer uniform? Not so much. My boys (5 and 3) love Star Wars but I dread going just because I know they'll want a lightsaber, a droid, etc etc and I don't want to drop a mortgage payment in a few acres of theme park.

To be fair, the interactive stuff with the app is free to play and can probably occupy many in the land for a while. So, that's something.

But I do think there needs to be more (free) stuff - streetmosphere and more droids, etc would help but so would another attraction even of the show variety.

thequeuelinelectures

Could it be something like the one included on that Savi's path map thing? I don't know how to find that but it was given out at some event and shows basically the whole layout of the area and to the left of rise of the resistance it shows speeder pods weaving around a river and it's called like Sabut River excursion or something

thequeuelinelectures

Okay decided to be not lazy. Surbat River Valley. Treacherous Turns. Try and tell me those trails don't look like coaster track

Rogue1138

First, your opinion would carry more weight if you actually visited and experienced the land. I have been and I think it is comparable to Pandora or the countries in Epcot in terms of stuff to see, do and eat. We spent over four hours in the land. When we go back in Sept and in Dec, we likely will spend a bit less time exploring. But, my wife loves to window shop so we probably will explore the marketplace again.

Second, how is SW:GE any different than any other land in any of the WDW parks? Each land has specific shops, places to eat (although not all do), and a couple of attractions. Do your kids like to shop Main Street at MK? I don't understand why you would complain about this new land and not about the rest of WDW.

Last, regarding the food - yes, it is limited. But, so are the places you eat in Epcot. Don't like food in one land? Go to another. You've got pizza on one side of SW:GE and a variety of options on the other side in TSL.

I personally don't have any problems with SW:GE. I'm a lifelong Star Wars fan and 501st Legion member, so I eat it all up. I'm not in the OT or PT only camp. I like what Disney has done with the franchise minus some mis-marketing the last year or two. I keep planning my trip to finally go. At the same time I do have close friends who were very excited and have backed off due to some of the reasons I listed.

From what I've read and watched, I'm happy. I wish they added more streetmosphere like bounty hunters, aliens or droids walking around but there's a lot of logistics why I see they didn't initially. The "fans" who are bloodthirsty to see Star Wars fail excluded, I was looking at how the people could look at reasons why an average person might be disappointed by SW:GE.

Marc Davis Fan

They could relatively easily change it to the OT timeline. MF:SR could stay the same (they could mention that Han and Chewie are lending the Falcon, or they don't have to explain Han's absence at all, and just keep it exactly as is), the shops and restaurants could stay the same, and RotR could feasibly (though not super-easily) swap Kylo for Vader / Poe for a CGI young Luke, etc. This would completely change the dynamic of the land. Being attacked by Vader aboard a Star Destroyer? Holy sh*t!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom