Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

mikejs78

Premium Member
The trajectories of merchandise sales, movie ticket sales, physical copy sales, etc, is all in the wrong direction. The opposite is true for Marvel. If Marvel is considered successful, and its data is moving in the opposite direction from Star Wars, then we can at the least say Star Wars is demonstrating opposite results than a successful franchise. There is very little I can find about Star Wars in the financial data that suggests things are going well.
Really not an apt comparison.. Data isn't moving in the opposite direction but rather has a different model (which perhaps Star Wars should adapt). Not every marvel movie is an Endgame-level event. There are big event movies (Endgame, Infinity War), tentpole franchise movies (Civil War, Ragnarok, GotG), and there are smaller, more niche offerings (Ant Man, Dr. Strange, etc.) that make about as much as Solo did.

Re some of your points on SW:
* TLJ revenue-wise followed the revenue drop of both Empire and of Attack of the Clones, a 30+% drop from the first film in the trilogy. If the pattern holds, Rise of Skywalker should either show a slight increase (like Return of the Jedi) or a substantial increase (like Revenge of the Sith). But was Empire a failure because it earned 30% less than A New Hope?

* Merch: Merch is still up over pre-TFA. It's declined because a) the merch was awful for TLJ, quality was down, b) there have been no new movies in the last 18 months; merch sales follow big movies, and c) there was always going to be a decline after the pent-up demand of TFA.

The big test will be Episode 9. If it earns another 1.3 billion+, then I don't think the Star Wars franchise has anything to worry about. If it slips below that number, then there is really cause for concern.

Now can we please stop turning these threads into a debate on the current state of Star Wars as a whole and just focus on Galaxy's Edge?

WDW Pro

Really not an apt comparison.. Data isn't moving in the opposite direction but rather has a different model (which perhaps Star Wars should adapt). Not every marvel movie is an Endgame-level event. There are big event movies (Endgame, Infinity War), tentpole franchise movies (Civil War, Ragnarok, GotG), and there are smaller, more niche offerings (Ant Man, Dr. Strange, etc.) that make about as much as Solo did.

Re some of your points on SW:
* TLJ revenue-wise followed the revenue drop of both Empire and of Attack of the Clones, a 30+% drop from the first film in the trilogy. If the pattern holds, Rise of Skywalker should either show a slight increase (like Return of the Jedi) or a substantial increase (like Revenge of the Sith). But was Empire a failure because it earned 30% less than A New Hope?

* Merch: Merch is still up over pre-TFA. It's declined because a) the merch was awful for TLJ, quality was down, b) there have been no new movies in the last 18 months; merch sales follow big movies, and c) there was always going to be a decline after the pent-up demand of TFA.

The big test will be Episode 9. If it earns another 1.3 billion+, then I don't think the Star Wars franchise has anything to worry about. If it slips below that number, then there is really cause for concern.

Now can we please stop turning these threads into a debate on the current state of Star Wars as a whole and just focus on Galaxy's Edge?

This is so dull at this point, that I'm just going to respond by saying "you're wrong." We have years of trajectories... I'm not going to continue falling for the trap of responding to minutiae. For example, ANH to Empire is a ridiculous comparison because ANH was in theaters of a totally different era for months on end, whereas Empire was purposefully kept in theater circulation for a standard duration. But none of that matters, and I'm not going to continue doing deep dives into the defense narrative. The truth is Disney thinks Star Wars is in trouble, they're still deeply concerned about Star Wars Land to the point of austerity measures, and even the average person on the street knows Marvel is doing great and Star Wars is struggling.

Monorail_Orange

The truth is Disney thinks Star Wars is in trouble, they're still deeply concerned about Star Wars Land to the point of austerity measures, and even the average person on the street knows Marvel is doing great and Star Wars is struggling.
This is laughable. (Not at you, at the Disney suits.) So they're going to address the problem by doubling down on, arguably, the same strategy that created the problem. Brilliant. Obviously none of the mental giants in charge these days is familiar with the expression "If you keep doing what you always did, you'll keep getting what you've always got."

WDW Pro

This is laughable. (Not at you, at the Disney suits.) So they're going to address the problem by doubling down on, arguably, the same strategy that created the problem. Brilliant. Obviously none of the mental giants in charge these days is familiar with the expression "If you keep doing what you always did, you'll keep getting what you've always got."

January/February is when they will reevaluate the situation. We'll see what happens then.

Monorail_Orange

January/February is when they will reevaluate the situation. We'll see what happens then.
I recall in an earlier thread, you mentioned the potential of the addition of a third ride, a thrill ride to the tune of $250 million. Has that been tabled, or is it still in the mix for a possible solution, following the reevaluation?

WDW Pro

I recall in an earlier thread, you mentioned the potential of the addition of a third ride, a thrill ride to the tune of $250 million. Has that been tabled, or is it still in the mix for a possible solution, following the reevaluation?

The thrill ride is one of three options on the table, and amounts can and do change. A lot depends on how Episode 9 is received, how RotR drives attendance, etc.

SWGalaxysEdge

Here's your sneak peek at the "landing" of RotR (your eyes are ok - it is blurry)
crashback.png

Monorail_Orange

The thrill ride is one of three options on the table, and amounts can and do change. A lot depends on how Episode 9 is received, how RotR drives attendance, etc.
Thanks for the info. Are you able to give any "type" description of the other two options? (I completely understand if the answer is no.)

Rogue1138

I don't think a coaster would be a good fit for GE unless it was indoors.

I wouldn't want a standard coaster but I think a Mummy-like coaster would be doable. Especially if you tie it into some sort of Force/Jedi training. Could be a possible way to tie in old characters/material like one room you have a Force encounter with Darth Vader. One room you're facing off against Darth Maul.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom