News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

mikejs78

Premium Member
Sadly I do not think 9 will help things for the Star Wars brand.
I think the brand damage is overblown. 9 is more about whether or not TLJ did really alienate that many people. If it does around as well as TLJ or better, then the naysayers were wrong and Star Wars isn't in trouble. If it does considerably worse, then heads will roll.

BubbaQuest

I'd venture to say that one other factor to consider, (besides Dorian, which is the glue that is holding so many peoples excuses together), is that they just flat out built a land that's only "interesting" to fans. It's not something that hard core Star Wars fans or the average Disney (non star wars fan) is drooling over.

I keep seeing Pandora and FoP being used as a loose frame of reference for various factors. Avatar barely had any form of a following or fan base compared to Star Wars, yet Pandora is far more similar to what the movie was about. And yes, Avatar has only had one movie so far, but it's also proof that fans would like to experience things they are familiar with if it's an IP based attraction or even land. I watched Avatar once. That was it. But Pandora is still enjoyable because it was recognisable even after only seeing it once.

Aside from the Falcon, what about SWGE can fans or even people who are familiar with the movies connect with? And as someone else pointed out, Smugglers Run isn't even an experience relatable to any of the movies. Star Tours does a better job of that.

I couldn't agree more. I haven't seen it in person yet, but the only pics I've seen that indicate this is "Star Wars Land" are pics of the Falcon, Rey, and Chewie.

That is not to say that IP really matters. My interest in Cars Land and Wizarding World have nothing to do with the movies. Heck, I knew almost nothing about Harry Potter until visiting Uni.

However, Star Wars is one of the most recognizable franchises in modern movie history. I want to see Luke's house. I want to see Obi Wan's house. I want to ride a Landspeeder.

Instead we got a generic war torn space filled with dirty non-interactive droids. Disney didn't try to "Dinseyfy" it. It's all about some kind of "immersion". If Disney just wants "immersion" why don't they replace Main Street with a freeway and a Walmart. Or make the Castle cold, decrepit, and abandoned because no one can afford to run a castle anymore.

I don't understand why this version of a land is in a Disney Park. It's not Disneyfied, and it 's not "Star Wars".

I know some of the "immersion" will change with RotR. But after years of watching the movies, it never once occurred to me that I would want to know what it feels like to be kidnapped by Storm Troopers. Not as a fan of "Disneyana" and not as a fan of "Star Wars". I'd much rather just play Chess with Chewie.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Well, they are a publicly traded company. With Christmas season around the corner that will help increase crowds.

Or they will further reduce the cost of hotels, dinning, etc.

They know that now because we’ve been conditioned to book at WDW months and mo the in advance. If SWGE now doesn’t move the needle in the next week or two, it only goes down hill from here. You will see promotions and cuts like you’ve never seen before.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was hoping to visit in Janurary but it feels like they're holding back on any special offers until they get a better idea how much to give.

Hey...I’m shameless. I will be outwardly lobbying for a FAT AP discount due to poor performance.

“Stay away, people, stay away “🤪
Yup. As long as they are better than the prequels, I am happy.

Rogue One and Force Awakens are both excellent. Last Jedi I enjoyed, though I do understand some of the criticism. And Solo isn't the greatest, but is still better than the prequels.

Some people will just never be pleased.

That is not really accurate.

I can respect your opinion. But I believe it falls into the “generational gap” with Star Wars that’s been building since the prequels.

Your experience is different than mine. Totally fine but not great for the IP.

(Did i mention I waited 6 hours in the rain for phantom menace tickets? And I won’t prebook internet ones for Return of the Abrams? Just perspective)
I think the brand damage is overblown. 9 is more about whether or not TLJ did really alienate that many people. If it does around as well as TLJ or better, then the naysayers were wrong and Star Wars isn't in trouble. If it does considerably worse, then heads will roll.
Thingie is closer to correct than you are...I’m afraid. Lots of brand damage...and while more “ambiguous” during the prequels and aftermath...it can be tracked with more concrete metrics now.

9 - at best - will be a repeat if Jedi...which I think is best case scenario. Can’t hurt at this point. Can’t wreck the middle chapter from a narrative perspective.

I was watching “Empire of Dreams” this morning actually in prime. The portion dealing with empire really captured what the trilogy worked. Even if it was propaganda for LFL at the time.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

If You look at toy sales and mouse clicks or engagement on SW media (trailers, shows, media stuff) it is something to be concerned over.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Backlot was barely a ride in 2016... Really a shell of a once great attraction. (I remember visiting and going on the backlog tour in 1999 - now that was an attraction.

Getting rid of GMR was tragic though.
I’m not saying a lot of that stuff didn’t suck. But they did have to clear capacity to add it back...net Gain isn’t that much from a numbers perspective

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom