News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

gmajew

Premium Member
Is Orlando kids back in school? I don’t k ow how Disney could of had a worse weather weekend though to open a land like this. I know friends that cancelled their trip earlier in the week to not get stuck Monday.

Is hope the place can withhold the storm so I can see it perfect next summer. Lol.

StarWarsGirl

Did you see the toilet with the Wookie poop? Incredible attention to detail. The Disney difference.
screen-shot-2017-05-25-at-6-35-25-am-1495690657.png

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
To add my 2 cents to the sea of opinions.

Great land. Just what DHS needed. Lots to explore. Incredible details. The MF:SR ride is a hoot. But for me, there is one problem, as many others have pointed out.

It’s not Star Wars. Or rather, it’s not the Star Wars I know and love. I have no connection to these characters. Even my 14 year old son (who can also recite every movie) has no idea who Hando is. You could replace 90% of it with generic sci-fi characters, and it would not make much difference to me.

One telling anecdote. I saw lot of little girls dressed as Rey. But when the official Disney Rey character walked down the street, not one person (other than I) even turned to look at her. She just walked through the crowd, undisturbed.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll spend a lot of time there on every trip. But to me, it’s not a home run. Maybe a double. Hopefully RotR will stretch that into a triple.
I feel the same. I LOVE the ride and I love the land. It's so detailed and so huge and I love that. But there's a part of me that wishes the time period it was placed in was during the episodes 4-6 when the empire ruled the galaxy. I don't have the kind of excitement for the First Order as I do the empire so the characters are just..meh. Perhaps some of that will change when Episode 9 comes out and we have a conclusion to some of the story lines. I still LOVED that ride though...did I mention that? Seriously was SO much fun and the replayability is quite good with different positions that actually do something and affect the ride.

TP2000

Your schtick is getting tired. Give it up already...

It's not a "schtick", it's my opinion based on my visit to Star Wars Land in late June. If you have a different opinion, then that's cool too.

Go with it and tell us why Star Wars Land is so great and why it doesn't need roaming droids and stunt shows and interactive characters and bounty hunters who are trying to track you down because you crashed the Falcon.

Differing opinions don’t automatically define “bash.”

Thank you. But for the record, @olie64 and I got to chatting yesterday and in reality he's a very good guy. Just one of those things where typed words on a screen don't convey emotion/inflection correctly, which is a story as old as the Internet. :)

Back OT, there are no land entry restrictions today for Star Wars Land and here are the current DHS wait times at 6:30pm Friday, Day Two:

Star Tours - 5 Minutes
Alien Swirling Saucers - 10 Minutes
Midway Mania, Tower of Terror - 15 Minutes
Rock N' Roller Coaster - 30 Minutes
Slinky Dog Dash - 45 Minutes
Millennium Falcon - 95 Minutes

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Whoever decided it wouldn’t matter if the land opened with one ride needs to be fired. They assumed fans wouldn’t care. I think they do.
No, it's Dorians fault!! My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who works at 31 Flavors who overheard a guy talking about cancelling his trip.

olie64

It's not a "schtick", it's my opinion based on my visit to Star Wars Land in late June. If you have a different opinion, then that's cool too.

Go with it and tell us why Star Wars Land is so great and why it doesn't need roaming droids and stunt shows and interactive characters and bounty hunters who are trying to track you down because you crashed the Falcon.

Thank you. But for the record, @olie64 and I got to chatting yesterday and in reality he's a very good guy. Just one of those things where typed words on a screen don't convey emotion/inflection correctly, which is a story as old as the Internet. :)

Thank you for that.

olie64

No, it's Dorians fault!! My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who works at 31 Flavors who overheard a guy talking about cancelling his trip.

And pushing back the other headliner come to HS didn’t help either...although based on what I’m seeing in October based on rooms available it’s going to be packed.

I couldn’t upgrade my room.

dizda

Great land. . . .

It’s not Star Wars. Or rather, it’s not the Star Wars I know and love. I have no connection to these characters. Even my 14 year old son (who can also recite every movie) has no idea who Hando is. You could replace 90% of it with generic sci-fi characters, and it would not make much difference to me.

I wonder, though if that is intentional so Disney can incorporate ("promote") new movies more easily while also being able to portray ("save") the original trilogy for special occasions/times (like May 4th)?

TalkingHead

So, let's say that for a 10-hour park day, there was a line all day long just to get into the land. Would that be considered a success? Because, that's what DHS had from 5a to 3p, namely 10 hours of people waiting to get into the land (through a virtual queue -- the boarding parties). It then had seven more hours of being relatively busy. And that's after a week of AP previews... a full week for mostly locals to keep the land busy all day long. And that's after all the very die-hard SW fans went to DL to get it out of their system. I don't know how anyone can say that wasn't a success.

Is WDW panicking because Pandora had longer lines? Well, I remember people saying how, in the opening week, Pandora failed to live up to expectations and WDW wasn't happy... until the numbers came in and showed a significant increase in DAK attendance for the year that didn't cannibalize the other parks.

And finally, who here attended all those pay-for previews at DL or DHS that we were told Disney would be sure to do? If you said Disney was definitely going to do that... maybe you shouldn't be so quick to prognosticate on how the SWLs are going to do. Maybe I should do a forum search for those predictions...

Are you done with the somersaults?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And pushing back the other headliner come to HS didn’t help either...although based on what I’m seeing in October based on rooms available it’s going to be packed.

I couldn’t upgrade my room.
I'd venture to say that one other factor to consider, (besides Dorian, which is the glue that is holding so many peoples excuses together), is that they just flat out built a land that's only "interesting" to fans. It's not something that hard core Star Wars fans or the average Disney (non star wars fan) is drooling over.

I keep seeing Pandora and FoP being used as a loose frame of reference for various factors. Avatar barely had any form of a following or fan base compared to Star Wars, yet Pandora is far more similar to what the movie was about. And yes, Avatar has only had one movie so far, but it's also proof that fans would like to experience things they are familiar with if it's an IP based attraction or even land. I watched Avatar once. That was it. But Pandora is still enjoyable because it was recognisable even after only seeing it once.

Aside from the Falcon, what about SWGE can fans or even people who are familiar with the movies connect with? And as someone else pointed out, Smugglers Run isn't even an experience relatable to any of the movies. Star Tours does a better job of that.

olie64

I'd venture to say that one other factor to consider, (besides Dorian, which is the glue that is holding so many peoples excuses together), is that they just flat out built a land that's only "interesting" to fans. It's not something that hard core Star Wars fans or the average Disney (non star wars fan) is drooling over.

I keep seeing Pandora and FoP being used as a loose frame of reference for various factors. Avatar barely had any form of a following or fan base compared to Star Wars, yet Pandora is far more similar to what the movie was about. And yes, Avatar has only had one movie so far, but it's also proof that fans would like to experience things they are familiar with if it's an IP based attraction or even land. I watched Avatar once. That was it. But Pandora is still enjoyable because it was recognisable even after only seeing it once.

Aside from the Falcon, what about SWGE can fans or even people who are familiar with the movies connect with? And as someone else pointed out, Smugglers Run isn't even an experience relatable to any of the movies. Star Tours does a better job of that.

No I agree some. I can’t wait to see it but it would have been way better to tie it to the old movies.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
No I agree some. I can’t wait to see it but it would have been way better to tie it to the old movies.
I'm looking forward to it as well. We have trips booked for October and December. Not because of SWGE, but I'll definitely be excited to check it out.

I don't think the land is a failure in any sense. I just think they could have done better.

mikejs78

Premium Member

See, it's not your opinion that's getting tiresome. I actually agree that they need to add back the roaming droids, stunt shows, interactive characters, and bounty hunters. I don't dispute that at all.

It's really more your constant refrains of "Immersive!" And "Bright Suns!" that get tiresome. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the land, what they did right and what they didn't. I'd just much rather have an intelligent discussion about it rather than have to read the same tired sarcastic one-liners every other post.

erasure fan1

Whoever decided it wouldn’t matter if the land opened with one ride needs to be fired. They assumed fans wouldn’t care. I think they do.
Plain and simple it's just arrogance. Disney figured we'd be happy just for the opportunity to walk into a star wars land. And then even happier to spend $200 to build a lightsaber, $100 to build a droid and $50 on drinks in the cantina.

The_Jobu

Back OT, there are no land entry restrictions today for Star Wars Land and here are the current DHS wait times at 6:30pm Friday, Day Two:

Star Tours - 5 Minutes
Alien Swirling Saucers - 10 Minutes
Midway Mania, Tower of Terror - 15 Minutes
Rock N' Roller Coaster - 30 Minutes
Slinky Dog Dash - 45 Minutes
Millennium Falcon - 95 Minutes

That's awesome. A 15 min wait for ToT sounds like a dream come true. Sad I'm not there to enjoy it.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Plain and simple it's just arrogance. Disney figured we'd be happy just for the opportunity to walk into a star wars land. And then even happier to spend $200 to build a lightsaber, $100 to build a droid and $50 on drinks in the cantina.
Some of you may think I'm a bit of a pixie duster because I react strongly to a lot of the doom and gloomers, but I think this is a very good point. Disney made 3 key mistakes in the rollout of GE:

1. Deciding to open with only one attraction, and the lesser attraction at that (if it had been reversed with RotR opening first, that might have worked).
2. Cutting a lot of the atmosphere, droids, stunt shows, etc. from the land.
3. Getting greedy and implementing obscene ticket price hikes, blackouts, etc, expecting crowds to come at any price.

That all said, I'm very much looking forward to the land, and from the looks of things, WDI has done an amazing job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom