News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

jt04

I know at least 3 people who cancelled travel plans because of Dorian and who weren't there yesterday. And that's just me.

The biggest queues this weekend will be for online reservations for hotels. The advantage of wdw is if there are widespread outages, wdw would get a high priority for restoration even if it lost power. Which is not likely imo.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is like saying the Mariah Carey movie Glitter flopped because it opened on 9-11.

If anything, the hurricane made it busier at HS yesterday. Which seemed pretty successful from watching online.
While I agree with you about a push yesterday...

It was not a successful opening from what I saw.

They had 6 hour lines for radiator springs and consistently long waits for a long time after it opened. 4+ hours for flight of passage.

They had a 4 hours wait for the Elsa meet and greet in Epcot 😳

Again...we can’t make full judgements for awhile...including still with Disneyland.

But this is not a good launch for Disney any way you slice it. I guarantee they are not happy. It’s just about the reasons now...

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

They had 6 hour lines for radiator springs and consistently long waits for a long time after it opened. 4+ hours for flight of passage.

Again...we can’t make full judgements for awhile...including still with Disneyland.

But this is not a good launch for Disney any way you slice it. I guarantee they are not happy. It’s just about the reasons now...

There aren't a lot of sister pairs (either 2 or 4 IIRC) and each meet takes forever. Not a fair comparison, imo.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Some photos from yesterday afternoon.

Can't wait for this to open:

02.jpg

Beautifully themed shade:

03.jpg

Love all the theming in this area and the shops:

04.jpg

Dramatic reveal of the Millennium Falcon ... slightly obscured by the parasols:

05.jpg

No line at Docking Bay 7 around 4pm:

06.jpg

The raised viewing area on the left was for PhotoPass only. You couldn't walk up to the railing to take your own pictures. There were two photographers and the line was short in the afternoon.

07.jpg

There are two lines going on in the picture below. On the right is the line for Oga's Cantina, and on the left is the line for MFSR:

08.jpg

Oga's Cantina is a lot of fun. Amazing theming inside:

09.jpg

Line for MFSR ... almost inside:

10.jpg

Poor Star Tours was empty (2:30pm). Listed time was 20 minutes, but it was much shorter.

01.jpg

mikejs78

Premium Member

Honestly I don't think you can compare those.

* Park opened yesterday at 6 AM. That has not happened before for an opening. Pandora opened at 8. This spread out the crowds across more hours.
* Wasn't FoP reduced to 50% capacity the first day? I remember at least one of the simulators being down most of the day.
* M&Gs are hardly an indicator. They have notoriously low capacity.
* Smugglers Run had effectively 4-5 hour waits from 6 AM to 3 PM when they stopped using the land queue with no FP. FoP had 4 hour waits with FP from 8 Am until about 5 PM when it dropped.

So, I would disagree that this wasn't a successful launch.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There aren't a lot of sister pairs (either 2 or 4 IIRC) and each meet takes forever. Not a fair comparison, imo.
How about 90+ standbys for slinky dog all day last year?

They have a problem...to which extent is still TBD.

This is where we should drop the prosecution of the case in the interests of progress...however the “Disney didn’t screw up...cause they never have” undertone has to go too.

Something ain’t right.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly I don't think you can compare those.

* Park opened yesterday at 6 AM. That has not happened before for an opening. Pandora opened at 8. This spread out the crowds across more hours.
* Wasn't FoP reduced to 50% capacity the first day? I remember at least one of the simulators being down most of the day.
* M&Gs are hardly an indicator. They have notoriously low capacity.
* Smugglers Run had effectively 4-5 hour waits from 6 AM to 3 PM when they stopped using the land queue with no FP. FoP had 4 hour waits with FP from 8 Am until about 5 PM when it dropped.

So, I would disagree that this wasn't a successful launch.
See: ABOVE

mikejs78

Premium Member
How about 90+ standbys for slinky dog all day last year?

They have a problem...to which extent is still TBD.

This is where we should drop the prosecution of the case in the interests of progress...however the “Disney didn’t screw up...cause they never have” undertone has to go too.

Something ain’t right.
Disney screwed up in several ways with this land. But there's a middle ground between "it's a disaster" and "it's perfect".

tirian

Some photos from yesterday afternoon.

Can't wait for this to open:

View attachment 403528

Beautifully themed shade:

View attachment 403530

Love all the theming in this area and the shops:

View attachment 403531

Dramatic reveal of the Millennium Falcon ... slightly obscured by the parasols:

View attachment 403532

No line at Docking Bay 7 around 4pm:

View attachment 403533

The raised viewing area on the left was for PhotoPass only. You couldn't walk up to the railing to take your own pictures. There were two photographers and the line was short in the afternoon.

View attachment 403534

There are two lines going on in the picture below. On the right is the line for Oga's Cantina, and on the left is the line for MFSR:

View attachment 403535

Oga's Cantina is a lot of fun. Amazing theming inside:

View attachment 403536

Line for MFSR ... almost inside:

View attachment 403537

Poor Star Tours was empty (2:30pm). Listed time was 20 minutes, but it was much shorter.

View attachment 403527
I don’t think it’s intentional, but I do appreciate that the fence around the Falcon looks like a film strip when it’s lit up at night.

Ojo4

Judging from the crowds yesterday and this morning its looking like GE is probably a failure, unequivocally worse than Disneylands opening. I can't imagine Iger is going to be very happy when the numbers hit his desk given that the opening week and labor day weekend is a complete write off for the entire resort now. But the fact of the matter is opening day didn't even use their fancy boarding pass tech after noon and this was before the hurricane was a real threat... If you spend 1 billion dollars in a single land and don't get resort wide attendance boosts then its a disaster.

Ismael Flores

The guide maps and app hasn’t tipped anyone off, huh?

Nor the press...

I’ll give you a mulligan on this one. The crowd just isn’t there.

i never said the crowds are not there because of that and im sorry to tell you but not everyone walks around glued to the app or staring at a map.

how many years has there been a parade running at the park and people still ask what time or where they can see the parade?

you would even be surprise to know how many people still have nonidea that they do a nightly show called fantasmic on the rivers edge.

The crowds are low overall in the whole resort not just the land and i never said they were not but the land does have that issue in Anaheim.

tirian

Judging from the crowds yesterday and this morning its looking like GE is probably a failure, unequivocally worse than Disneylands opening. I can't imagine Iger is going to be very happy when the numbers hit his desk given that the opening week and labor day weekend is a complete write off for the entire resort now. But the fact of the matter is opening day didn't even use their fancy boarding pass tech after noon and this was before the hurricane was a real threat... If you spend 1 billion dollars in a single land and don't get resort wide attendance boosts then its a disaster.
That hurricane has been hyped for a week, and now it’s here. That’s definitely having an impact.

I disagree with half the creative decisions in SWGE, yet now I sound like I’m a flag-waving fanboy. :D Just trying to be realistic about everything.

StarWarsGirl

Were you able to use the das ok? We'll be there in Dec., my son gets it as well. How does it work in GE? Also, what happens when you enter the ride? I've been reading that people are given colored cards, but not sure how people are broken down into groups. We will be 3, so I'm going to be paying attention to all of this to give my son a rundown ahead of time on what to expect - sorry for the questions!! Is there any way to make sure someone gets, say, pilot on any given run? Thanks for any help!
Sure thing!

It works the same as any other DAS, but you do have to be in the land to enter. Once you have your DAS, though, you can leave and get back in.

You'll go in through the FP line that's not open yet; they're only using it for DAS. You'll watch the preshow with Hondo and then be assigned groups. They randomly assign you and then stick single riders with you. You can switch with others in your party to get a different assignment. Since there's three of you, you'd likely have two pilots and one Gunner. There's six to a capsule. They were just sticking single riders in instead of searching for groups, so I believe you'd have three singles with you.

You'll wait in the Falcon for a bit (hang out, take pics) and then they call your color and you enter.

I can say my brother didn't do as well up at pilot. He would have done better as Gunner. Pilots have to steer whereas gunners and engineers have to press buttons. Next time we're making sure he gets a Gunner role. If you wanted to allow a single riders to switch and be a pilot while you sit next to your son at Gunner, I'm sure they'd be happy to swap.

SirWillow

Hold up...

You’re saying it’s a “secret”? They can’t “find it?”?

Oh this is good...this one might be Hall Of Fame

You very obviously have never dealt with guests at a Disney CM. I discovered that they can find more ways to be lost and not see what is right in front of them. yes, guests need big signs to tell them how to get to what should be obvious. But even then they don't see them.

Which is why I was asked how to get the castle at Studios and Epcot, which way to Harry Potter World at several of the Disney parks, and watched a guest walk around Spaceship Earth multiple times before asking where the rest of the park was... I could go on. and on. and on. and.....

Never assume that guests have a clue where they are, what they are doing, or where they are going.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom