News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Stripes

Yes, Hogsmeade is small, size wise, compared to SWGE. But Hogsmeade opened with 2 very high capacity E Tickets and a kiddie coaster. With only MFSR open, Hogsmeade's carrying capacity was higher than SWGE's is now.
Land capacity is completely different from ride capacity. Simply having another queue doesn't increase land capacity. Otherwise, why not count all the queues for gift shops and restaurants, as well? Does that increase land capacity, especially when guest density is already extremely high? Of course it doesn't.

Last edited:

Tonto

Disney was expecting...

line1.jpg

They got...(day 2 of SW:GE)

For those saying that it's a success because they had to use a virtual queue to get into the land for 9 hours on opening day. I really hate to be that guy...but, when Universal opened Potter in 2010, they had to use the virtual queue to enter the land for almost 4 months. And as far as the, "it's the hurricane" rebuttal. Was DLR being hit by a hurricane all summer?

There is something fundamentally wrong with the product. Over shot the price to value ratio? Opened the land with only one ride? Killed the IP with movies the fans didn't like? Based the land on the movies the fans didn't like? Scared everyone off with predictions of massive crowds? Dorian? All of the above? I don't know the answer, but there will be books written about what happened with lots of finger pointing, I'm sure.

You are overthinking it. The land is amazing and will be even more amazing with the new ride. This is nothing short of classic Disney. I was at Universal the past few days and every ride was a walk on except Hagrid. Went on Hagrids 3 times in one day. Wait times were posting at 120-180 minutes but never waited more than 40mins. I was very confused why this was happening. My point is Orlando crowds were non existent this week except for GE. Major, major hurricane coming and people are getting out of dodge.

Last edited:

Stripes

It would be interesting to see the sales figures/trends for sabers, droids and drinks a few months down the road... I'm not convinced it's a sustainable model. 🤔
I think it'll be sustainable for at least several years. After that I could see price decreases. The integration of a "build-it" experience as part of the purchase will definitely heighten demand, especially since you can only get that experience if you pay for the product.

I'm more skeptical of its sustainability in Anaheim given the guests of that resort.

Tom Morrow

Yes, Hogsmeade is small, size wise, compared to SWGE. But Hogsmeade opened with 2 very high capacity E Tickets and a kiddie coaster. With only MFSR open, Hogsmeade's carrying capacity was higher than SWGE's is now.
I mean, I don't have the numbers, but I'm willing to bet that SWGE, without its two ride queues, can hold more people than Hogsmeade + a full queue for Dragon Challenge (which it never was) and Forbidden Journey. It's just that big.

Donaldfan1934

With all this back and forth about whether or not SW:GE is or eventually will be a success, I honestly feel we would all be able to assess what’s going on more objectively if we weren’t dealing with a franchise that has one of the most vocally toxic fandoms of all time. Any ounce of rational critiques and observations on either the land itself or the factors behind how the openings played out on both coasts have been drowned out by the hyperbolic reactions of disgruntled fans who just want to see anything remotely related to the current slate of films bomb horribly regardless of individual quality.

Oftentimes, these fans are overly biased and vitriolic to take seriously and seem to have little to no perspective on what can and can’t work in a theme park environment or how many years of planning goes into a project such as this. Although the these kinds of people didn’t create the overall discussion on the state of SW:GE out of nothing, there’d be a lot less people ready call the land a complete and total failure this early on if it wasn’t for them.

Last edited:

mergatroid

Plain and simple it's just arrogance. Disney figured we'd be happy just for the opportunity to walk into a star wars land. And then even happier to spend $200 to build a lightsaber, $100 to build a droid and $50 on drinks in the cantina.

It really does depend which angle you look at it from imho. I'm quite a pragmatic person and for me the way Disney has opened it is completely fine. Originally it was scheduled to open 'in the fall' (?) and I assume when originally planned, it was to open with both rides operational. We'd booked our 2 weeks starting September 11th way back in December to coincide with Halloween Horror Nights and at that stage assumed that GE wouldn't be open.

When Disney announced that they were opening GE earlier than planned on 29th August, I couldn't believe our luck. The amount of times I read complaints on here about how long it takes Disney to build and open rides you'd be forgiven for thinking that people were getting what many asked for, something opening earlier than planned. It would have been great had both attractions been ready upon opening early, however with the infrastructure and one attraction ready early and the other one not, that wasn't possible.

So Disney had a choice. Open earlier than planned making it as clear as possible that there's just the one attraction available upon opening, or keep a land that's 75% functional closed for a few months until both attractions are ready. For a visitor this should be quite a simple decision, do I go now with one attraction open or do I wait a few months and go with both open. I'm going now fully aware that the 'better' attraction isn't yet open, I'm going aware that the fully immersive feeling may not be there as much as if both rides were available. Nobody is making me go as I could decide to wait till next year's visit and get the 'full deal', but as a pragmatic person I've weighed it up and decided that something is better than nothing and that I want to see it now.

I'm fully expecting that when we go next year that I'll almost certainly enjoy the GE experience more, as there'll be more to do. But again, I'm going in knowing this to be the case and nobody is forcing me to go in now so it's really all on me. Now there will be some folk who unfortunately go not knowing that one ride isn't yet open and that's a real shame. I do think however that Disney has done a lot to publicise the fact that ROTR won't be open, I think most people would agree on this.

As for people being 'even happier to spend $200 to build a lightsaber, $100 to build a droid and $50 on drinks in the cantina', well that's their choice. You pay before you enter and if you book in advance you have to provide credit card details, so those doing this must by default be happy doing so. I'm doing none of those activities because I don't consider them important enough to spend that much money on them, I'm quite happy not to do them and make that choice. And from all the videos I've seen about building light sabers, the people participating seem extremely happy to be there and appear to be having fun making them. I suppose time will tell how long people will be willing to pay these prices for these experiences but from our group of 5 going this year, 2 are doing it and are very, very happy about the prospect.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hogsmeade is tiny compared to Galaxy's Edge. Of course Universal had bigger crowd problems. They've also been running AP previews for weeks, tempering opening day demand. Honestly, you've got to be kidding me with this comparison.
View attachment 403919
If you do that, at least make sure both images are to the same scale and include the whole land:

compare.jpg

Last edited:

winstongator

The hurricane is definitely playing a part in the current attendance...even from a local’s standpoint. Locally, most of the gas stations are already out of gas, the stores are wiped out and people are busy preparing for the hurricane. Ronto Roasters can wait for a few days...
I would have been there this weekend without the storm. I'd imagine many others in my position as well.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
We know two families that did not cancel their trips. One arrived yesterday and the other decided to book a last minute trip and fly down today (from Chicago), since GE crowds arent as bad as expected. Good chance other people are doing the same.

We changed our vacation to 9/22-9/28
If you dont mind me asking, are you staying on property?

mikejs78

Premium Member
We know two families that did not cancel their trips. One arrived yesterday and the other decided to book a last minute trip and fly down today (from Chicago), since GE crowds arent as bad as expected. Good chance other people are doing the same.

If you dont mind me asking, are you staying on property?
From reports from insiders, people have been cancelling trips left and right.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
there’d be a lot less people ready call the land a complete and total failure this early on if it wasn’t for them.
Who has posted here that the land is "a complete failure"? You criticize people for being toxic and vitriolic, and then turn around and toss out a completely false statement. The overall discussion is that attendance is much lower than expected, and much much lower than some people here claimed we would see.

The only toxicity I have witnessed in this discussion is from the brand loyalists who complain about the people citing crowd levels are low.

durangojim

We had a great time opening day. Got into DHS about 3 and stayed until 10. Ride the falcon, got a bunch of merch, my kids made light sabers. Found it to be a great land and not lacking at all. Went back the next day to hang out and wound up using the play app to hack things which was a ton of fun. I don’t understand all the negativity as we all loved it and can’t wait to come back!

KC00

I just checked the app, and I’ve never seen wait times this though across the resort. And MF:SR is only at 85 minutes. FoP is at 120, but the longest wait at MK for anything is 40 minutes. That just doesn’t happen at WDW these days, even at 8:30 PM.

I was there last year at this time and it was the absolute slowest I have seen WDW in years visiting at all different times of year. I ate lunch alone on the second floor of Columbia Harbour House - there was quite literally no one else up there other than CMs closing off other sections with rope.

I think we’re seeing a combo of maybe this being the one slow time left due to school starting, etc plus the approaching hurricane.

I have no idea if the land will ultimately be successful or not but I think they picked a pretty lousy time to open it. Plus didn’t they only announce this opening date back in March? Unless you were a huge Star Wars fan, it was awfully late in the game to shift around or plan a vacation just for this. I think the crazy prices are probably also not helping. Again, unless you were a huge Star Wars fan you are probably not going to make two trips within 4 months to see both new attractions in the land - it would cost you a fortune. So why not wait until everything is open?

I also do not care one iota about Star Wars either the old or newer versions so I have found it difficult to get excited about the land at all (which may be another issue for Disney - are there really as many Star Wars superfans as they think there are?) but I do think it is too early to judge whether it will be successful.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
9:50 AM, Saturday, Aug 31, some light rain, scattered thunderstorms at around 40%
  • MFSR: 95
  • FoP: 70
  • SDD / 7DMT: 45
  • Pan / TSM / MickeyDAK: 40
  • RnRC / Safari / Nemo / NRJ / Sommerhus / EE / Belle: 30
  • Speed / MincLF / MickeyDHS / Tink / Pincesses / MonstersM&G / MickeyMK / Winnie / SSE / Soarin / MickeyEpc / LLand: 20
  • ToT / Crush / STours / SplashM / SpaceM / MV3D / M:S / Ariel / Carpets / Tea / Kali / JC / Bug / Small / HM / Dumbo / DINO / Swirling: 10

bryanfze55

I was there last year at this time and it was the absolute slowest I have seen WDW in years visiting at all different times of year. I ate lunch alone on the second floor of Columbia Harbour House - there was quite literally no one else up there other than CMs closing off other sections with rope.

I think we’re seeing a combo of maybe this being the one slow time left due to school starting, etc plus the approaching hurricane.

I have no idea if the land will ultimately be successful or not but I think they picked a pretty lousy time to open it. Plus didn’t they only announce this opening date back in March? Unless you were a huge Star Wars fan, it was awfully late in the game to shift around or plan a vacation just for this. I think the crazy prices are probably also not helping. Again, unless you were a huge Star Wars fan you are probably not going to make two trips within 4 months to see both new attractions in the land - it would cost you a fortune. So why not wait until everything is open?

I also do not care one iota about Star Wars either the old or newer versions so I have found it difficult to get excited about the land at all (which may be another issue for Disney - are there really as many Star Wars superfans as they think there are?) but I do think it is too early to judge whether it will be successful.

Well I don’t think there are many super fans of Avatar/Pandora or Cars either, yet those lands have been very successful. At most, those two lands are one terrific ride and then decent albeit run-of-the-mill ride(s) in a highly themed and immersive environment.

But they’re still lauded. If we could all just
move on and accept that SW:GE is probably going to be pretty much the same thing, life would be much simpler. But if there’s one thing that causes people to rely more on emotion than logic, it’s Star Wars.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Looked pretty crowded around 8

I see a bit of a traffic jam in the bottle necked part of the pathway leading to the Falcon, where you see a group of people getting photos in front of the bucket of bolts. Look at the top screen to the right beyond the group of people getting pictures. Its wide open, (which isnt a bad thing).

And before someone twists around this post and claims I said "the land is a complete failure!!!", I am just pointing out that this short video doesnt exactly show a very crowded land. Just a bottleneck section of a pathway and a group of people getting pictures. Ive been at MK with low crowd levels but if you walk the section between Peter Pan and Small World, its jammed with people. Same for Epcot as you enter the area of Mexico pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom