News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

donsullivan

Premium Member
For those thinking of just leaving out of MCO later I encourage you to understand the impact of a likely airport closure. Even one day shut down backs up thousands of people all trying to fill in the empty seats on already nearly full planes after they restart normal operations. It can take up to a week to unwind everyone stranded by the airport closure. These sorts of things are not just a reschedule to a different date at the last minute thing. It gets really, really messy.
And if they evacuate the cost which is very likely, hotel availability in Orlando can get tight with locals who’ve been evacuated from their homes. They will often get preferred access to rooms due to evacuation.

dingdangdang

Starting to get a little concerned now - we fly tomorrow and I really can’t cancel this trip when we are there for two weeks and will have at least 10 good days. Is there anything I need to make sure I do to prepare - also anyone know what the max amount of time we could be confined in our room for is?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Best advice? Stay home. If this storm hits at the strength and where it's projected, there will be widespread power outages, roads closed due to flooding and debris, shortages of food, water and gas. And possible curfews. You REALLY want to be in all this just to visit WDW this weekend and be there for Galaxy's Edge?

As @larryz mentioned, if MCO shuts down for 24-36 hours, it will take days for traffic in and out of the airport to normalize.

I know some of you are arriving Friday and staying for a week or two. That will be fine. Just be prepared for a fee rough days. But those of you coming just for the weekend? Don't. If residents need to evacuate, those rooms at Disney will be needed, for them.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Starting to get a little concerned now - we fly tomorrow and I really can’t cancel this trip when we are there for two weeks and will have at least 10 good days. Is there anything I need to make sure I do to prepare - also anyone know what the max amount of time we could be confined in our room for is?
During Irma, we were confined to our room from 7:00 pm until noon the next day.

ACD825E0-E019-4E5D-9519-DD53D6C4D633.jpeg

7D0189BA-7151-4FED-B644-4002B17A5900.jpeg

By mid afternoon, we were swimming.
AC277429-C646-4115-A28C-B3A718ED025D.jpeg

JohnD

Hurricane Dorian May Reach Part of Florida’s Coast Where No Major Hurricane Landfalls Have Been Recorded

Incorrect. Hurricane Dora in 1964. As my parents can too well attest.

http://www.jaxhistory.org/remembering-hurricane-dora/

LAKid53

Premium Member

Definitely right before, during and after the storm. Hard to say how long.

I'd order water, Gatorade (will be hot without AC), non perishable snacks, batteries, flashlights to be delivered ASAP. UPS and other delivery companies will start to delay delivery to the affected areas. There are grocery stores that will deliver via Instacart, like Publix, if you don't have a rental car. But do it before you leave tomorrow.

dingdangdang

Definitely right before, during and after the storm. Hard to say how long.

I'd order water, Gatorade (will be hot without AC), non perishable snacks, batteries, flashlights to be delivered ASAP. UPS and other delivery companies will start to delay delivery to the affected areas. There are grocery stores that will deliver via Instacart, like Publix, if you don't have a rental car. But do it before you leave tomorrow.

We were planning on heading to Target tomorrow evening via Uber anyways - should we just buy supplies then?

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Earlier, I didn't see it but at least they finally acknowledged Dora:
"Further north, the strongest Florida east coast landfalling hurricane in modern times was Hurricane Dora, which came ashore in 1964 near St. Augustine as a top-end Category 2 (sustained winds of 110 mph)."

I still contend the story is misleading.

Top-end category 2 is not category 3. Therefore, if this storm makes landfall as a cat 3 near the Florida/Georgia border, itll be the first to do so.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Dont really care about building codes dude. Science doesn't lie. It wasnt a major hurricane. Please refrain from discussions you are ill informed about.

A Category 1 or 2 storm can cause lots of damage if buildings aren't up to code.

JohnD

Someone who's been through 3 hurricanes in a row, btw. Including Michael.

I've been in 5 direct hurricanes - one in Miami, Kate, Hermine, Irma and Michael - several tropical storms and the outer bands of many of the 2004, 2005 storms.

Are you going to argue with me?

People just want to be superior arguing over the Saffir-Simpson scale as if that is the only thing that makes it "major" regardless of what NOAA says.

LAKid53

Premium Member
People just want to be superior arguing over the Saffir-Simpson scale as if that is the only thing that makes it "major" regardless of what NOAA says.

If you told anyone who lived in Tallahassee in 1985 when Kate came through that she wasn't a major storm, they'd call you crazy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom