News D23 Expo 2019

flynnibus

Premium Member
A large list of uninteresting and/or known projects is still a long list of uninteresting and/or known projects.

Ergo my point. People should complain about the correct things... not just flail around. They gave us plenty of new information... if you don’t care about the topics, or wish they covered other things, ok... then say that. Not complain they didn’t tell us anything new or give us new confirmations.

SirLink

I bet they do an ABC special just on the 50th anniversary, but not until sometime next year. To keep from interfering with 2020 bookings and that will have more details on what to expect. Do we know if the 50th will run for the Calendar year or not start until 10/1/21. I'm suspecting not until 10/1/21 and then for a full year so that they can keep the 'celebration' rolling from 21 to 22 (Epcot 40th) to 23 (TWDC 100th).

If its anything like the 25th it ran from 01/10/1996 to 31/01/1998 so 16 months. It will be interesting with the 50th, 40th and 100th all within three years

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Brazil isn’t exactly getting great press right now. Their president especially. If I was in charge of the presentation, I would have pulled it too.

That being said... there was nothing in the concept art. Not that they couldn’t remove it. But maybe it never was on the docket either?
Well, it's a darn good thing the Hong Kong park is already built...

agentp99

It's been said in a couple threads already (and possible here too, I may have skipped a few pages), but it's not in Disney's best interest to announce everything at D23.

For one thing, all of the D23 announcements usually get clumped together in media coverage. One headline like "Disney announces upgrades for parks" is nowhere near as good as several well timed announcements that each get their own news cycle of coverage for that specific project.

And if they announce everything now, they have nothing to counter program Universal announcements with. The third gate announcement was pretty vague -- we'll be getting lots of information about that park over the next several months, and Disney won't want to let Universal dominate all the media coverage. Universal is building a Mario themed area? We're redoing Journey Into Imagination. Etc.

planodisney

Brazil isn’t exactly getting great press right now. Their president especially. If I was in charge of the presentation, I would have pulled it too.

That being said... there was nothing in the concept art. Not that they couldn’t remove it. But maybe it never was on the docket either?
Disney corporately doesn’t care about human rights or the overall well being of all citizens in countries they plan partnerships with or future development. They’re just concerned with keeping the pop culture elitists happy, so as long as they don’t raise a fuss Twitter then Disney is good to go.

bubbles1812

Disney corporately doesn’t care about human rights or the overall well being of all citizens in countries they plan partnerships with or future development. They’re just concerned with keeping the pop culture elitists happy, so as long as they don’t raise a fuss Twitter then Disney is good to go.
The may not care about the citizens of partner countries but they sure as heck care about good PR. If they had announced a Brazil pavilion, they sure as hell would have gotten the attention of those ‘pop culture elitists.’

(And really? Pop culture elitists? :D:hilarious:)

planodisney

The may not care about the citizens of partner countries but they sure as heck care about good PR. If they had announced a Brazil pavilion, they sure as hell would have gotten the attention of those ‘pop culture elitists.’

(And really? Pop culture elitists? :D:hilarious:)
I was agreeing with you but just adding it wasn’t because they care about the new president in Brazil or the fires in the Amazon. If they did they wouldn’t be expanding in Hong Kong and mainland China.
And yes, “pop-culture elitists”, the people who control the narrative by having the loudest voice on twitter, late night and music, who will express outrage about transgender bathrooms, fires in the Amazon ir any other current topic that’s socially hip to get outraged about, but won’t shed a tear or raise a voice against human rights atrocities in India, China........
But I agree with your point of why Disney MIGHT have backed out. My point was it would be nice to show some backbone instead of constantly being enslaved and afraid of the pop-culture narrative and constantly faux outraged on social media

jumpinjamie

I was agreeing with you but just adding it wasn’t because they care about the new president in Brazil or the fires in the Amazon. If they did they wouldn’t be expanding in Hong Kong and mainland China.
And yes, “pop-culture elitists”, the people who control the narrative by having the loudest voice on twitter, late night and music, who will express outrage about transgender bathrooms, fires in the Amazon ir any other current topic that’s socially hip to get outraged about, but won’t shed a tear or raise a voice against human rights atrocities in India, China........
But I agree with your point of why Disney MIGHT have backed out. My point was it would be nice to show some backbone instead of constantly being enslaved and afraid of the pop-culture narrative and constantly faux outraged on social media
They're still using sweat shop labor in China for the merch that they sell, I don't think they care about dissent when they have people lining up to buy said merch. If they were scared of that kind of thing, they wouldn't have had the CEO of Target as one of the "special guests". This is the same company that is naming a luxury hotel the same name as the Academy Award winning documentary about killing dolphins driven by captivity entertainment in places like Orlando.

TalkingHead

Let’s recap and score what was actually announced at the expo and parks panel..

Epcot
Neighborhoods announced. - new but rumored
SSE changes - new. Future refurb was rumored, but no details
Celebration details - name, details, new art - all new. Before we only had the art when they announced the spline and entrance change.
Walt statue - new announcement including art
Moana experience - new announcement, including name and art
Guardians ride - new art, significant new details, name announced - all new
Space restaurant - new name announced. New details (confirmation) on elevator concept
Land film - previously announced
Play pavilion - previous info (don’t think there was any new art there? Maybe the exterior shot is new)
Uk - new cherry tree lane announced, including art. New attraction mentioned, but no details
New China film - previously announced, but new details on being seamless?
France film sing along - previously announced
Canada film - new? Don’t remember
France - new restaurant change - new I believe?
France - art recap - previously announced, but opening window announced -new?
Lagoon show - new name, new art, new details, new song

Genie app - new

Star Wars hotel
Name - new
New art
Experience details revealed - new
Lightsaber training details - new

New wdw hotel - previously announced, but new art and details
New restaurant at hotel revealed - new

Dlr
Avenger campus name revealed - new
Spider-Man ride revealed - new (but previously leaked)
Land art - new (but previously leaked)
Shops and food detail - new (but previously leaked)
Wakana e ticket - new (rumored)
M&g character list - new
Dr strange attraction - new (but previously leaked)

Dlp
Marvel hotel overlay - previously announced but new details and art

Target partnership - new
Cirque show - new
Cirque opening date - new

Hkdl
Castle expansion - new art and details
New castle shows. - new I believe
New bbb - new?
Castle name - new
Frozen area - new attraction announcements and details (not sure if the two rides were previously known/rumored)

Shanghi
Zootopia land. - previously announced
Zootopia attraction teased and new art - new

Dlr
New parade announced - new
New parade name and art - new
Parade song revealed - new
Parade general opening period announced - new
Mickey attraction - new art, new queue details

Dhs
Mickey attraction exterior art - new
Look inside the Mickey attraction - new
Mickey attraction ride vehicle - reveal, but known and shown orior
New rotr visuals - new (but concepts largely leaked)

Dcl
New ship name and character. - new
New ship interior art - new (I believe)
New port of call - new (but previously known through other channels)
New details on development of lighthole point and joe r assignment - new

50th logo - new
50th events - teases, but mentions doing things in all parks - new

Make a wish - recap

And people moaning about the target news.... don’t forget consumer products and parks were merged corporate wise.

Please help correct any of the info above. I think when you look at it, the list is huge!

But you can understand why maybe some didn’t care for the amount of time they spent on some segments they didn’t care about... like target, cirque, lighthouse point, and MAW.

Edits:
New Epcot logo - new

That list has more padding than a college freshman’s ten-page essay on Hamlet.

*Q*

I believe that few, if any of the pavilions are supported by their host countries anymore.
None of the pavilions were ever sponsored by the actual country except for Morocco. Everything else has only ever been sponsored by corporations from those countries.

capsshield

Overall, I'm happy to see all those rumors confirmed. I'll be happier to see them materialize. They released a lot of Info and EPCOT got the biggest share, but everyone here was told this would happen. I think I will always feel some disappointment at these types of events because I always want more than they reveal. Imagining how World showcase will work as you walk from Canada to Japan is exciting. That corner will feel brand new.
When I first went to Epcot center about a year after it was built I remember telling my Dad how badly it needed trees. He said give it time they will grow in. Future world never really did. Now it will or should.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Can we also bring up the horrid "I've waited my whole life for this" girl in the Galaxy's edge commercial they keep throwing out on tv lately....The way they make her act when shes in the ship in this is just like shes about to destroy worlds of some sort...
disneyland-star-wars-galaxys-edge-are-you-ready-large-3.jpg
I like how the "mom" actor is not even looking in the same spot as the "daughter" and "dad" actors.

bigboiepcotball

They just need to demolish Launch Bay already. There's just that gift shop, meet-and-greets, and some theater. They could easily fit in the blackbox ride or something bigger if they just demolish those old soundstages that have no purpose.

bigboiepcotball

Even if they did demolish the Millennium Village building they would only have a little bit of space for maybe a Alice-In-Wonderland caliber dark ride, if the concept art is realistic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom