Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Phicinfan

Folks, @marni1971 has been saying this for years and it's in the rumor tracker.

Though, Disney did stir the pot with putting Imagination Pavilion and Mexico pavilion on the model which seemed to be a hint of what's going to get significant announcements... which they didn't. The model was a lie!
Yes...and no.

First yes @marni1971 stated and repeated and has been quite forthcoming on this.

However, he will probably also be the first one to tell you, that don't mean it will get built. Plans change, priorities change and in a few years quite possibly management will change.

I for one have no question Martin knows what he knows. I just don't think Disney will build some of this. Just my doubts coming forward I guess.

Captain Neo

Nothing has changed since last month.

A new attraction is coming. It is still several years away.

A betting man would say it’ll close around the time SSE reopens.

And it will also be about the “power of Disney story telling” and be made more timeless more relevant more family and “more Disney” by replacing figment and dreamfinder with the cast of Disney’s upcoming movie Soul!!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Imagination is going to stick out as a bad ride, ESPECIALLY when the 50th comes, and like I mentioned earlier, Disney will no longer be allowed to ignore it, but eventually will have to address it in the next couple years.
They will. SSE jumped the queue.

A bit like the three way race for refurb that Pirates, JC and HM had.

(Edited to be family friendly)

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes...and no.

First yes @marni1971 stated and repeated and has been quite forthcoming on this.

However, he will probably also be the first one to tell you, that don't mean it will get built. Plans change, priorities change and in a few years quite possibly management will change.
He certainly would. I’ve know of I think five, maybe six (I loose track) proposals for JII over the last 11-12 years. Most of them quite recently.

Maybe every confirmed but TBA project mentioned needs a disclaimer “as of today” after it. Or don’t shoot the messenger.

Bender123

We all know the update is coming, but I get the feeling that the issue was how much nostalgia of the past was used to pad out the D23 presentation and there was nothing stated about the future of the pavilion. I know they don't want to end up with another announced, but dropped, situation, but even a nod that this is phase one would have been a bone to throw.

I always felt that if SE was the brain of Epcot, then JII is the heart. We know its on course, but the lack of acknowledgement of the future was irksome, if not unexpected.

WDW set themselves up for this one...it was more of a PR fail than a planning fail.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
We all know the update is coming, but I get the feeling that the issue was how much nostalgia of the past was used to pad out the D23 presentation and there was nothing stated about the future of the pavilion. I know they don't want to end up with another announced, but dropped, situation, but even a nod that this is phase one would have been a bone to throw.

I always felt that if SE was the brain of Epcot, then JII is the heart. We know its on course, but the lack of acknowledgement of the future was irksome, if not unexpected.

WDW set themselves up for this one...it was more of a PR fail than a planning fail.
Im not sure it was a PR fail. How many people were really expecting a Figment announcement? A very small % I'd imagine.

Sir_Cliff

Exactly! If they wanted to **** off the fans this was certainly the way to do it. All that hype over the hidden posters and it's the Festival pavilion? Seriously?!
Those posters in particular seem like a weird miscalculation to me.

When they put up blank posters among all the existing pavilions and attractions with "to be announced Sunday" tags, they must have known that people would be expecting the announcement of something exciting like a new pavilion. Then they announced a festival center and that there will be an attraction based on Mary Poppins, but they can't tell us what it is.

Is it possible that Figment eventually finds his way to the Play Pavilion? As others have noted, the current Imagination Pavilion is highlighted under "World Celebration" but it would be easier to tie the concept of Imagination into the themes of Discovery and Play. Martin has also stated that some of the plans he has seen include having Figment in a different location.

Fairsky

Martin has also stated that some of the plans he has seen include having Figment in a different location.

Figment will have some presence in the new Epcot, that much is certain. They wouldn’t bring back the icons, the entrance plaza fountain, and the logo only to dump Figment. All of this is fan-service to keep the Epcot loyalists happy even as Disney abandons the park’s original vision.

I suspect part of the reason nothing was announced about JII is because Disney knows the D23 audience. If an IP heavy retheme was unveiled a lot of die-hard “old Epcot” fans would have been upset. That’s bad press. So, nostalgia was played up at D23 (like the beautiful posters featuring original Epcot attractions), while news about JII will come later via the Parks blog. And I’d guess this announcement will be combined with news about Figment’s new home within Epcot—(perhaps alongside Bing Bong from Inside Out?)

Bender123

Im not sure it was a PR fail. How many people were really expecting a Figment announcement? A very small % I'd imagine.

It was only a fail in that they featured Figment and Dreamfinder without featuring anything related to the current version. We all knew that it was a long shot, but that run up with the classics made it seem like we might actually get a surprise, even if it wasn't likely to happen for a few years.

We all have expectations and TDO didn't really help tamp those down, is all. People always feel far more disappointed by a perceived loss than from an actual gain. The feeling is that this was a run up to something and then...nothing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is it possible that Figment eventually finds his way to the Play Pavilion? As others have noted, the current Imagination Pavilion is highlighted under "World Celebration" but it would be easier to tie the concept of Imagination into the themes of Discovery and Play. Martin has also stated that some of the plans he has seen include having Figment in a different location.
Did I?

Uh oh.

BlakeW39

Nothing has changed since last month.

A new attraction is coming. It is still several years away.

A betting man would say it’ll close around the time SSE reopens.

Has there been a time frame on SSE reopening? Are we talking about Disney breaking ground on this unannounced refurb/rehaul 2, 3, 4 years from now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom