MCU Phase 4 and beyond

Phicinfan

Well, Sony's next film is Morbius in July 2020. Spidey 3 won't be till July 2021, and there's rumors that Tom Hardy's Venom will appear in it, and that a post-credits scene in Venom 2 (October 2020) will explain why he goes from San Francisco to New York.
Spidey 3 has been announced? Last update I saw by Marvel has no Spiderman in either phase 4 or 5.

Phicinfan

Tom Holland's contract includes 3 solo Spidey films. Also, of course they're not gonna end it with FFH after that cliffhanger.
Don't disagree, but he has a 2021 date on it, and we have seen the phase 4 movies listed. Granted this is released by Sony, so they could put that caveat on it, but in the past they listed Spidey in MCU releases

Disney Maddux

Don't disagree, but he has a 2021 date on it, and we have seen the phase 4 movies listed. Granted this is released by Sony, so they could put that caveat on it, but in the past they listed Spidey in MCU releases
Unfortunately, Sony announces it since they own Spidey. Probably at CCXP in December is when we'll get it, along with updates on Morbius and Venom 2.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, Sony's next film is Morbius in July 2020. Spidey 3 won't be till July 2021, and there's rumors that Tom Hardy's Venom will appear in it, and that a post-credits scene in Venom 2 (October 2020) will explain why he goes from San Francisco to New York.

Spidey 3 has been announced? Last update I saw by Marvel has no Spiderman in either phase 4 or 5.
Good catch, I wouldn't put too much faith in that July 2021 date just yet. We'll see if anything gets announced for Phase 5 at D23 in 2 weeks. But as far as I know Sony/Marvel doesn't even have any placeholder dates reserved for July 2021. That can always change on a moments notice, but with the movie slate being full they like to do it as soon as possible. So I'm betting more on a 2022/2023 time frame.

Disney Maddux

Good catch, I wouldn't put too much faith in that July 2021 date just yet. We'll see if anything gets announced for Phase 5 at D23 in 2 weeks. But as far as I know Sony/Marvel doesn't even have any placeholder dates reserved for July 2021. That can always change on a moments notice, but with the movie slate being full they like to do it as soon as possible. So I'm betting more on a 2022/2023 time frame.
2021 would make the most sense because of the 2-year pattern.

Homecoming - July 7th, 2017

Far From Home - July 2nd, 2019

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
2021 would make the most sense because of the 2-year pattern.

Homecoming - July 7th, 2017

Far From Home - July 2nd, 2019
2 films a pattern does not make.

Spider-Man 3 is actually set to be produced by Marvel this time not Sony. This is due to Far from Home making over $1B. So don’t expect a Sony announcement, expect a Marvel announcement.

Lucky Rabbit

2 films a pattern does not make.

Spider-Man 3 is actually set to be produced by Marvel this time not Sony. This is due to Far from Home making over $1B. So don’t expect a Sony announcement, expect a Marvel announcement.
Marvel makes the movies, but Sony is in charge of announcements/marketing. The movie is a part of Sony's release slate hence why everyone expects them to announce it and not Disney. Marvel didn't even want to release Far From Home in 2019 because of Endgame, but it was Sony's decision to do so.

I've read what Zootopia Dude has read about the plan being every 2 years. I remember during press for Homecoming it was Holland who mentioned they were following the Harry Potter model of each film being a different year in High School. I'd imagine another incentive to do this every 2 years would be to avoid the actors getting too old:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/tom-hol...will-copy-harry-potter-formula-194435425.html

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Marvel makes the movies, but Sony is in charge of announcements/marketing. The movie is a part of Sony's release slate hence why everyone expects them to announce it and not Disney. Marvel didn't even want to release Far From Home in 2019 because of Endgame, but it was Sony's decision to do so.

I've read what Zootopia Dude has read about the plan being every 2 years. I remember during press for Homecoming it was Holland who mentioned they were following the Harry Potter model of each film being a different year in High School. I'd imagine another incentive to do this every 2 years would be to avoid the actors getting too old:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/tom-hol...will-copy-harry-potter-formula-194435425.html

Actually the 2 previous Spider-Man films were joint announcements by both Marvel and Sony, not Sony alone. Usually with both Feige and Pascal making the announcement.

"To be specific, Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures have jointly announced that Peter Parker's next solo adventure will be hitting the big screen on July 5, 2019."

And it was Feige who stated it would be a Harry Potter formula long before Holland ever mentioned it:

Also it was Feige who let Holland leak out the name of the film, so again its not Sony who announced it, it was Marvel under Feige's direction:

So just because it wasn't announced at Comic-Con, doesn't mean Marvel won't announce it in the future. Either at D23 or at a future date in a joint announcement with Sony just like last time.

Also it has always been understood that Sony is footing the bill for these films, which is why they get the box office and not Marvel, in exchange for Spider-Man being used in the larger MCU. So unless you can provide something that states specifically that Marvel is footing the bill then I'll continue to go under the assumption that Sony is.

erasure fan1

Also it has always been understood that Sony is footing the bill for these films, which is why they get the box office and not Marvel, in exchange for Spider-Man being used in the larger MCU. So unless you can provide something that states specifically that Marvel is footing the bill then I'll continue to go under the assumption that Sony is.
Everything I've read and seen point back to this as well. Sony funds it, Marvel makes it, Sony gets the box office and Spider-Mans in the MCU.

Princess Leia

AC1210ED-882E-4452-AD32-25004CAD7A3F.jpeg

brodie999

N
Finally saw Far From Home. Really enjoyed it. Thought it was better than Homecoming.
Me too. No matter how many reports like the Disney-Fox deal fell apart before being officially announced nearly 2 years ago, cooler heads always prevail. And I know a new deal between Marvel and Sony will eventually be reached in a month or even a few weeks. The slogan of FFH "Spider-Man Will Return" might have already proved that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
N

Me too. No matter how many reports like the Disney-Fox deal fell apart before being officially announced nearly 2 years ago, cooler heads always prevail. And I know a new deal between Marvel and Sony will eventually be reached in a month or even a few weeks. The slogan of FFH "Spider-Man Will Return" might have already proved that.
The "slogan" as you call it at the end of Far from Home was likely shot long before the deal with Sony fell apart. Same with the mid-credit scenes.

So while I like to believe that Sony/Disney will come back together and make a deal in the future, that in itself is no proof of anything.

brodie999

The "slogan" as you call it at the end of Far from Home was likely shot long before the deal with Sony fell apart. Same with the mid-credit scenes.

So while I like to believe that Sony/Disney will come back together and make a deal in the future, that in itself is no proof of anything.
Well, according to We Got This Covered, if Apple buys Sony, Spider-Man goes back to the MCU for good. I think it might have something to do with Bob Iger leaving the Apple board.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Iger leaving the Apple board has nothing to do with Spider-Man reverting back to Marvel if Sony is bought. Its part of the contact evidently. However this is still all just speculation, Sony is not looking to be bought at this point. So its all academic, and nice talking points, but there is no discussion to really be had at this point. If Sony really starts to shop itself around, then its a real conversation.

Lucky Rabbit

Disney updated their release slate and added some new MCU dates. I wonder if the plan going forward will be 8 projects a year (4 movies, 4 shows). I'm assuming that if Sony and Marvel re-up their deal they'll knock off a date in 2023, if Sony maintains their every other year plan with Tom, instead of having 5 MCU films.

Upcoming MCU Movies
05/01/20 - Black Widow
11/06/20 - The Eternals
02/12/21 - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
05/07/21 - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
07/16/21 - Spider-Man 3
11/05/21 - Thor: Love and Thunder
02/18/22 - ????
05/06/22 - Black Panther 2
07/29/22 - ????
10/07/22 - ???? (new date)
02/17/23 - ???? (new date)
05/05/23 - ???? (new date)
07/28/23 - ???? (new date)
11/03/23 - ???? (new date)

Announced with no dates: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Blade, Captain Marvel 2, Deadpool 3, Ant-Man 3, Fantastic Four, and Mutants.

Upcoming Disney+ Series
Fall 2020 - The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
Spring 2021 - WandaVision
Spring 2021 - Loki
Summer 2021 - What If...?
Fall 2021 - Hawkeye
TBA - Ms. Marvel
TBA - Moon Knight
TBA - She-Hulk

Disney Maddux

Disney updated their release slate and added some new MCU dates. I wonder if the plan going forward will be 8 projects a year (4 movies, 4 shows). I'm assuming that if Sony and Marvel re-up their deal they'll knock off a date in 2023, if Sony maintains their every other year plan with Tom, instead of having 5 MCU films.

Upcoming MCU Movies
05/01/20 - Black Widow
11/06/20 - The Eternals
02/12/21 - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
05/07/21 - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
07/16/21 - Spider-Man 3
11/05/21 - Thor: Love and Thunder
02/18/22 - ????
05/06/22 - Black Panther 2
07/29/22 - ????
10/07/22 - ???? (new date)
02/17/23 - ???? (new date)
05/05/23 - ???? (new date)
07/28/23 - ???? (new date)
11/03/23 - ???? (new date)

Announced with no dates: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Blade, Captain Marvel 2, Deadpool 3, Ant-Man 3, Fantastic Four, and Mutants.

Upcoming Disney+ Series
Fall 2020 - The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
Spring 2021 - WandaVision
Spring 2021 - Loki
Summer 2021 - What If...?
Fall 2021 - Hawkeye
TBA - Ms. Marvel
TBA - Moon Knight
TBA - She-Hulk
Predictions:
2/18/22 - Deadpool 3
7/29/22 - Ant-Man 3
10/07/22 - Blade
2/17/23 - Captain Marvel 2
5/05/23 - Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3
7/28/23 - Spider-Man 4
11/03/23 - Fantastic Four

The Grand Inquisitor

Predictions:
2/18/22 - Deadpool 3
7/29/22 - Ant-Man 3
10/07/22 - Blade
2/17/23 - Captain Marvel 2
5/05/23 - Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3
7/28/23 - Spider-Man 4
11/03/23 - Fantastic Four
My predictions are
2/18/22: guardians vol 3
7/29/22: ant man 3
10/07/22: blade
2/17/23: captain marvel 2
5/05/23: fantastic four
7/28/23: x men
11/03/23: avengers 5

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom