So what changes will we see at DHS GE based on DL GE?

TP2000

Is it one of Disney's famous "transitions" between lands?

Apparently. It was referred to as "subway tile" even though Los Angeles never had subways when tile was a thing.

But, it is used in LA's Figueroa Street Tunnels heading towards Pasadena that this DHS Grand Avenue tunnel is based on. At DHS they removed the "local noble and honorable culture graffiti" and CalTrans signage, but kept the tile work. Because.... IMMERSIVE!

FigueroaStTunnels.jpg

solidyne

Apparently. It was referred to as "subway tile" even though Los Angeles never had subways when tile was a thing.

But, it is used in LA's Figueroa Street Tunnels heading towards Pasadena that this DHS Grand Avenue tunnel is based on. At DHS they removed the "local noble and honorable culture graffiti" and CalTrans signage, but kept the tile work. Because.... IMMERSIVE!

FigueroaStTunnels.jpg
Yep. And wasn't it you who referred to it as subway tile? ;);)

Sharon&Susan

Didn’t you all read the latest Disney Park Blog, they explain the white tile there.
Bright Suns! Batuu™Lands at Disney Hollywood Studios™
By Tom McIntern
Senior Imagine-tern
“...we’re also proud to announce, that at Star Wars Mirror’s Edge™ in Disney Hollywood Studios that the white tile in the Magic™ Transitional Tunnel™ will have an image of Darth Vader™ spray painted on by Star Wars™ creator himself, Rian Johnson™!

We heard several complaints from many Star Wars fans that the land lacked OT characters, now with this Darth Vader graffiti and Chewbacca walking around, this land will be perfect for everyone (except for Prequel fans, get out).”

Last edited:

Stripes

No, it was a Tweet from someone else that said WDI had purposely chosen "subway tile" as a design statement.

I commented that it was an odd thing to call it since LA had no subways in the 20th century, much less subways with tiles.
I think some of that may be misunderstanding. The white tile "style" is sometimes referred to as "subway tile." So perhaps the author of the Instagram post didn't intend to describe the themed intent of the tile, just a description of the style.

I've watched too much HGTV, I suppose.

Disney Analyst

I do think the note of the rock towers feeling smaller at DHS is right on the money. And it has to do with paint. I think the darker colours add nice contrast, but they also make them look smaller. Disneyland’s lighter rock work really helps lengthen them.

trainplane3

The tile makes complete sense if you remember the idea is to transition from a highway tunnel in LA to Galaxy's Edge.
I didn't forget about that. But it's also not on the other side and I feel some very slight weathering should be applied to it. Everything else in the tunnel is "rough" looking, why isn't the tunnel?

But this is a stupid, small detail to focus on personally.

Epcot_Imagineer

Thread on this tweet is really picking apart the land but I'm really posting it for the awkward looking tile in the tunnel:

The tile is just...kinda there. It looks out of place.

See my problem isn't so much with the tile, but with the abruptness of the change. "Tile, tile, tile... and STOP, all rock work from here on out." I would've much preferred the tile slowly giving away to some rocky material, some falling off, in a gradual creeping in of the land.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sunshine...paint...rocks...Halloween costumes...

Well we got kindergarten covered.🤪

So the crowds have been “light” in Florida so far, huh?

#ALLthatmatters

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom