Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

Darkbeer1

@Darkbeer1 What does SOAR stand for?
Support our Anaheim Resort Area. We are the resort area's political arm. Basically deciding how to protect the economic engine that provides 60% of the general fund revenue. Aka we handle a large pot of money from Disneyland, Hotel Owners and related businesses. We want to keep creating new jobs, keep building new facilities and support the Convention Center in bring in more events. So we back politicians that agree with business friendly policies and create win-win scenarios from the City coffers and then insure that money is spent city wide to benefit the residents.

Snow Queen

Used the new Pixar disabled parking for the first time. Unbelievably bad, absolutely no person with any disability experience designed or signed off on the current set up. Hopefully this is a temporary situation and the master plan is better.
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with it? I've got a family member with some injuries who uses those spots, so it'd be good to let them know what the problem is so they can decide if they want to use it or not.

TP2000

Used the new Pixar disabled parking for the first time. Unbelievably bad, absolutely no person with any disability experience designed or signed off on the current set up. Hopefully this is a temporary situation and the master plan is better.

I'm also curious what's wrong. ADA parking spots are heavily regulated by the federal government and state government, and they've become much larger in the last 15 years compared to their original format in the 1990's. What's wrong with the handicapped spots in Pixar Pals?

Darkbeer1

I mentioned it earlier. The main ADA parking is on ground level. It is located behind the Tram loading area. The signs point in the wrong direction to walk/ride aka North.

You need to walk south to Magic Way. Then you must board one elevator to the second level to avoid the Tramway. (Which again, is not clear) And the ONLY option.

On the second or any other level, you now need to go to the other bank of elevators to get back to ground level, then go through the security check. Once again, there is no clear signage where to go, for with the main trams or the Mickey Van.

IMHO, they should reserve some spaces on the East End of an upper level or more. That would be a simple, clear path to the main bank of elevators and straight to the trams.

It seems like the current setup was best for Disney not the ADA guests.

jzramom

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with it? I've got a family member with some injuries who uses those spots, so it'd be good to let them know what the problem is so they can decide if they want to use it or not.

The space is on the first floor, directly behind the character wall at the tram loading area. The area is shared with parked security vehicles and parked trams at the back half of the building. The lighting in the area is very good and there is plenty of space between cars. The problem for me is there is no direct exit from the first floor to the street or the trams. To exit you travel across the lot to the elevator and take it up to the second floor. When the bridge is open then you will be able to walk across towards downtown Disney. For now though, the only option is to walk across to second elevator and go back down to the first floor again. From there you can choose to walk across the street towards downtown Disney or you can cross the tram path and enter into the security lines for the trams. If you have a choice, choose Mickey and Friends for disability parking.

jzramom

I mentioned it earlier. The main ADA parking is on ground level. It is located behind the Tram loading area. The signs point in the wrong direction to walk/ride aka North.

You need to walk south to Magic Way. Then you must board one elevator to the second level to avoid the Tramway. (Which again, is not clear) And the ONLY option.

On the second or any other level, you now need to go to the other bank of elevators to get back to ground level, then go through the security check. Once again, there is no clear signage where to go, for with the main trams or the Mickey Van.

IMHO, they should reserve some spaces on the East End of an upper level or more. That would be a simple, clear path to the main bank of elevators and straight to the trams.

Ha, you beat me to it. You are right about the signage, there is none. There was an open gate on the other end and we walked there to find, oops don't think we belong here. Then we just guessed till we figured it out.

Darkbeer1

So after the USA won the WWC, My lovely Wife Lisa wanted to get out of the house and do some walking. (She lives by her Fitbit, and it has taken her from a size 18 to a size 2!)

So we decided on AGW and DtD. I asked her to do a scenic drive by the Westin, Hilton Garden Inn and Home2Suites, MCML, Element, The JW Marriott, Radisson Blu, Cambria and KCML/Bullseye. On the way to the Westin, we drove by both Parking Structures, and noticed the Magic Way entrance to Pixar Pals was open.

So after the drive bys, we decided to park at Pixar Pier. Got to the structure around 1 PM, and NOBODY was using the entrance. We pull up to one of the two booths open, paid $25 and then directed to the ground level Incredibles ADA parking area. (Located behind the concrete wall of the tram loading area). Parked the car facing the wall. Followed the signs pointing north saying "Disney Parks" only to be told all the signs are wrong, and you need to go south to Magic Way (almost), and turn left and follow the sidewalk.

At the end is metal fencing, and a staircase and elevator. No way to get to the Tram Loading area. So Lisa said she would walk to the 6th Floor, and I took the elevator. After taking some photos, we walked to M&F, went to the 1st Floor (Lisa by the stairs, I used the elevator). We then used the restroom (which is why we went to M&F). Then we went to Tram Security, and took the tram.

After going to DtD, then AGW and back to DtD, I took the tram back or tried to around 6 PM. The tram at the station had a computer error and wouldn't let it leave the station, so they took all the ADA people in line to a Mickey Van. We loaded and left, while the tram was still stuck in the station, and a bunch of trams sat in locations empty. They even sent one tram back empty to PP.

So get out of the Mickey Van, which unloaded inside security on the south end. Of course, the exit is on the north side. At this point, I had to go south to the main PP elevators, go up to the 2nd floor, switch to the far south elevators on the other side of the tram road, and go back to one. Then walk the path back to the car. Now, I am getting better in my walking and extending my distance. But I was getting somewhat tired, only had two main rest stops, lunch at Earl of Sandwich and a snack at Cold Stone Creamery on Harbor just before taking the tram back to the car.

But whoever decided that Incredibles was a great place for ADA parking, well, they should have had some real life ADA folks test it out.....

But they were directing PP guests leaving to the Magic Way exit, which was nice. (Left turn to Disneyland Drive ONLY, no option to go to Walnut).

And I have a SOAR meeting coming up. A lot to talk about, including the lack of the predicted capacity crowds (aka less tax revenue than hoped for), but before/after the meeting, I will be talking to some nice CM's, if I don't get to before that.
This is my first post regarding the Incredibles ADA parking. Not the best option. In fact, the worst. Head to Toy Story or M&F.

Ismael Flores

They should have just created an entry way thru the character wall an enforced the rules about it being used for ADA only. The shuttle pick up and drop off seems to be against the wall so it would have been a direct entry. One additional security spot right before the cut out in the wall would not have empty the money pocket.

Or better yet just park disabled in second floor, the Mickey and friends has disabled parking in each level.

are we sure that they did not do the same thing here? maybe the issue is only with the first level but the disabled parking in the other levels work more efficient since it would just be the one set of elevators to use.

wowsmom

They should have just created an entry way thru the character wall an enforced the rules about it being used for ADA only. The shuttle pick up and drop off seems to be against the wall so it would have been a direct entry. One additional security spot right before the cut out in the wall would not have empty the money pocket.

Or better yet just park disabled in second floor, the Mickey and friends has disabled parking in each level.

are we sure that they did not do the same thing here? maybe the issue is only with the first level but the disabled parking in the other levels work more efficient since it would just be the one set of elevators to use.

I've parked on the 2nd and 6th levels of the new garage and there is not a single handicap space on either of those levels. We haven't been given the option of parking on the 1st level - they always wave us to go further up. It's kind of a crap shoot to see if we can find a space where I can get out of the car (I need to be able to fully open the door as I can't twist without hurting myself). If my husband is driving, I can get out before he pulls into a space, but if I'm driving, that's not necessarily an option.

Darkbeer1

But if there was a break in the "Secure" wall, it would place guests on the opposite side of the trams, creating the big legal/safety issue of crossing the tram route. This is why there are two elevators, to place guests on the proper side for load/unload.

And if there are ADA spaces on upper levels, I haven't seen any, but I have only been on levels 2 and 6. Anyways, the CM's directing traffic aren't sending blue slipped guests that way.

wowsmom

And if there are ADA spaces on upper levels, I haven't seen any, but I have only been on levels 2 and 6. Anyways, the CM's directing traffic aren't sending blue slipped guests that way.

That's where we've been sent both of the times we entered from Magic Way. Blue placard hanging but sent up to a higher level. It also happens most of the time when we enter Mickey & Friends...it's rare to be parked on the bottom level. Maybe it's because we usually come later in the day.

Darkbeer1

That's where we've been sent both of the times we entered from Magic Way. Blue placard hanging but sent up to a higher level. It also happens most of the time when we enter Mickey & Friends...it's rare to be parked on the bottom level. Maybe it's because we usually come later in the day.

The question is, are ADA marked spaces on the upper levels of the new Pixar Pals structure, and if so, where?

To be honest, if the Incredibles parking is used, it should be for regular guests, or maybe just CM and Disney Vehicles, and not used by guests at all, due to the layout to enter/exit.

wowsmom

The question is, are ADA marked spaces on the upper levels of the new Pixar Pals structure, and if so, where?

To be honest, if the Incredibles parking is used, it should be for regular guests, or maybe just CM and Disney Vehicles, and not used by guests at all, due to the layout to enter/exit.

I have not seen any ADA marked spaces on levels 2 or 6 of the Pixar Pals structure (haven't been on the other levels). I think they blew it with putting no ADA spaces on other levels.

Ismael Flores

But if there was a break in the "Secure" wall, it would place guests on the opposite side of the trams, creating the big legal/safety issue of crossing the tram route. This is why there are two elevators, to place guests on the proper side for load/unload.

but the crossing tram thing already happens and has happened since 2001 when Mickey and friends was built. They had a crossing from the large vehicle parking into the original load area. When the tram route mess starting changing and moved things around for security they had tram crossing zones and never heard anything about legal/safety issues. They also have a tram crossing zone now from the first level Mickey and friends area into the existing esplanade/new security zone. I fail to see how that has ever been a problem or is a problem now.

If crossing a tram route was such a legal/safety problem then why did they already design the area with a pedestrian tram crossing to begin with inside the secured area.

The way it was designed now, they have the main Tram route (double lane) with i believe three load zones. What I noticed only one load zone has a ADA ramp but could be wrong since i just saw them form a distance. Aside from that double lane tram route there is an elevated pathway just west of it used to separate the tram route from another drop off/pick up stop for ADA shuttle. I saw that being used the day i went. Guests that need t access that area need to cross thru the double lane tram route via a marked crossing path.

that is why it would have made sense to have a break away thru that wall. The shuttle load is right up against it and the tram crossing paths are already there. It would just be a matter of the CM's and security to enforce that entrance as ADA entrance only

here is a video that shows exactly what i am talking about. The shuttle load area with shuttles in place, The security person in middle of tram route that assists ADA people to cross the tram path to the shuttle area which is directly against the character wall with the supposed ADA parking stall right behind it.

A break away thru the secured wall with proper gate and security detail for ADA only should be no different and would solve the issue of the double elevators.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom