The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

Are we too hard on DCA? Is it just that Disneyland took all the good stuff so at DCA they have to theme everything to all the leftovers? Like cartoon Pixar piers and oil refinery’s, junkyards and college campuses/ circuit city stores? I mean DL took ghosts, Pirates, jungles, the Wild West frontier, the world of Tomorrow, all the classic animated Disney movies etc.

I’m kidding of course. TDS shows us that a great second park is possible. With that said, the phrase “nothing new under the sun” comes to mind.
Aside from the Cars Land/Buena Vista Street fix, everything about DCA has and still does reek of budget cuts, bad ideas and idiocy. To the poor thing's credit, it's still fun to visit. So are county fairs. County fairs don't charge $100 admission.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Aside from the Cars Land/Buena Vista Street fix, everything about DCA has and still does reek of budget cuts, bad ideas and idiocy. To the poor thing's credit, it's still fun to visit. So are county fairs. County fairs don't charge $100 admission.

What about Grizzly Peak?

Rich T

Yes and the entire land and Soarin
Soarin' is a great ride in a cold and industrial-looking show building. And until DCA opened, I never would have guessed Disney--the company once famous for imaginative e-ticket adventures no other park could match--the same company that built Nature's Wonderland, The Country Bear Jamboree and The Rivers of America--would open a rapids ride called "Grizzly River"...on a mountain shaped like a bear.. supposedly representing a state with a freaking bear on its flag... and not have one dang bear on the entire ride. Because cheap. Because "if it's good enough for Six Flags, it's good enough for us" management. And no, the entry statue doesn't count.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Soarin' is a great ride in a cold and industrial-looking show building. And until DCA opened, I never would have guessed Disney--the company once famous for imaginative e-ticket adventures no other park could match--the same company that built Nature's Wonderland, The Country Bear Jamboree and The Rivers of America--would open a rapids ride called "Grizzly River"...on a mountain shaped like a bear.. supposedly representing a state with a freaking bear on its flag... and not have one dang bear on the entire ride. Because cheap. Because "if it's good enough for Six Flags, it's good enough for us" management. And no, the entry statue doesn't count.

Yeah I’ll admit I overlook the cold industrial show building because of the great ride experience.

As far as Grizzly River Run, yeah Kind of crazy how they didn’t add even one bear. Because AA’s are so Disneyland and DCA was supposed to be edgy and cool. With that said it’s the best river raft ride I’ve been on. That just includes Raging Waters, Knotts and Magic Mountain. I love the atmosphere.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Sitting in a waterpark helps me remember that fast food is bad and people really need to go outside occasionally.

So about those $50 per person rooms including admission... What’s the catch? Are they clean and decent?

Last edited:

Touchdown

I'm not holding my breath. Other parks have better rapids rides and charge far less for admission.

Which one? I’ve been on a lot but GRR is my favorite, close second is Popeye and I haven’t been on Infinity Falls but frankly of the other rides I’ve been on no others come close.

Rich T

Which one? I’ve been on a lot but GRR is my favorite, close second is Popeye and I haven’t been on Infinity Falls but frankly of the other rides I’ve been on no others come close.
Popeye's a more imaginative ride, as is the Shanghai ride, Bigfoot 2.0, and a few in Europe. The fact that we're even comparing a Disney ride with near-identical experiences in parks with 1/100th of Disney's resources says a lot about the current bar Disney's set for themselves and the way they spend more money for increasingly less impressive results. With Grizzly River, they spent enough to make it looks nice, then stopped at "good enough." That ride takes up far too much space for what it is.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom