What's with the wait times!? (hint.. they're low)

SirWillow

Attendance is certainly worryingly low, executives are certainly alarmed, and anyone who tries to deny that is drinking the Disney kool aid. Even with the franchise’s popularity at a low point, this was not planned.

I don't think that anyone is debating whether or not the attendance is low, or even if the executives are alarmed. It's the reasons why, whether or not they are genuine cause for deep alarm, and if they will correct themselves or not.

SuddenStorm

Disneyland has more open hours than any other Disney park and possibly any other theme park on earth. 8AM-midnight everyday during the summer and holiday periods along with weekends virtually year around not enough for you? DCA and MK are neck and neck in operating hours across the year not counting hard ticket events.

And, it used to have even more open hours. Disneyland is the most expensive Disney park to go to (on a day ticket), so why shouldn't it be open longer? Disneyland is also the most attraction dense Disney park in the world, so that should also add to it's operating schedule since guests need more time to do everything they want. And that's ignoring the increase in crowds the place has enjoyed until about a month ago.

It's not whether or not it's enough for me. It's looking at how Disney did things for years and years, vs how they do things now. Then looking at what they charged to get in then vs. now.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And, it used to have even more open hours. Disneyland is the most expensive Disney park to go to (on a day ticket), so why shouldn't it be open longer? Disneyland is also the most attraction dense Disney park in the world, so that should also add to it's operating schedule since guests need more time to do everything they want. And that's ignoring the increase in crowds the place has enjoyed until about a month ago.

It's not whether or not it's enough for me. It's looking at how Disney did things for years and years, vs how they do things now. Then looking at what they charged to get in then vs. now.
Are we 100% sure its Disney who willingly changed the closing time from 1am to 12am for Disneyland?

SuddenStorm

Are we 100% sure its Disney who willingly changed the closing time from 1am to 12am for Disneyland?

They still allow guests to shop in the park until 1, and attractions are allowed to operate until their lines are finished... so I assume there's nothing keeping Disney from operating attractions until 1. But, I could be wrong.

Regardless, I think my point stands. The park should be open an hour longer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They still allow guests to shop in the park until 1, and attractions are allowed to operate until their lines are finished... so I assume there's nothing keeping Disney from operating attractions until 1. But, I could be wrong.

Regardless, I think my point stands. The park should be open an hour longer.
I don't disagree it would be nice for the park to be open longer. However it might not be in Disney's control, that is all I'm saying. There might be a lot of logistical things that prevent staying open that long all the time.

SuddenStorm

I don't disagree it would be nice for the park to be open longer. However it might not be in Disney's control, that is all I'm saying. There might be a lot of logistical things that prevent staying open that long all the time.

I'm not well versed in the deals Disney has with the city and the locals. Can you give examples of what might be preventing the park from being open until 1? Or howbout 12:30?

Or, 8-12 year round instead of just peak seasons. Or, having DCA open the same number of hours as Disneyland, since it costs the same to get into.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not well versed in the deals Anaheim has with the city and the locals. Can you give examples of what might be preventing the park from being open until 1? Or howbout 12:30?

Or, 8-12 year round instead of just peak seasons. Or, having DCA open the same number of hours as Disneyland, since it costs the same to get into.

I don't know all the ins and outs either.

But a couple things I can think of off the top of my head that Anaheim might impose on Disney preventing extended hours:

1. Noise reduction after 12a
2. Traffic reduction after 12a
3. Extra police presence required
4. Don't know if it applies, but limited working hours for workers under 18 (CA Law)

@Darkbeer1 might be a better one to answer if there are any political reasons for Disneyland not staying opened until 1am or later.

Californian Elitist

A lot of training for Disneyland occurs in the wee hours of the morning. I remember my training starting at 5 AM, both times when I was learning the Fantasyland rides and attractions. Not to mention there are lots of third shifters working between the hours of 1 AM and beyond (it’s amazing to hear Disneyland during third shift, just a completely different atmosphere).

If Disneyland closed at 1 AM and the shops stayed open until 2, I assume it would take at least 30 minutes or more to shuffle everyone out. Let’s say the park it emptied by 3. That would give workers less than five hours to fix whatever they need to fix, train, clean, etc.

This is just a hypothesis.

Mac Tonight

Have you ever ridden Space with the lights on? Total mood-killer.

I agree that experiencing rides in the early hours of the morning is trippy, but so much fun.
I haven't ridden it lights on, but seeing YT videos of it that way definitely cause me to agree with you.

One of my friends who has worked overnight at the parks says they don't always turn off the BGM which makes certain areas of the park extra spooky!

Californian Elitist

I haven't ridden it lights on, but seeing YT videos of it way definitely cause me to agree with you.

One of my friends who has worked overnight at the parks says they don't always turn off the BGM which makes certain areas of the park extra spooky!

That’s actually true! Some things are still turned on, but for the most part, all you hear is machinery and drilling noises during that time. And there are huge bright lights all over the park. And then it’s super weird when you have an opening shift. There no machinery and drilling, just a dead park with music playing in the background. That was scary for me, despite it being daylight.

Mac Tonight

That’s actually true! Some things are still turned on, but for the most part, all you hear is machinery and drilling noises during that time. And there are huge bright lights all over the park. And then it’s super weird when you have an opening shift. There no machinery and drilling, just a dead park with music playing in the background. That was scary for me, despite it being daylight.
I'd love to experience an empty, morning misty, background music playing park...

Sorry, I know I'm weird.

Californian Elitist

I'd love to experience an empty, morning misty, background music playing park...

Sorry, I know I'm weird.

Honestly, I think every Disneyland fan should get to experience it at least once. I would love to do that and just walk around the park as a guest.

It was different for me because I had to open a ride, usually one of the dark rides. The checklist requires you to walk through the attraction, something I personally hated doing because animatronics scare me, especially when they’re not operating. But if I could just leisurely walk around with no one there in the morning, sign me up.

Mac Tonight

Honestly, I think every Disneyland fan should get to experience it at least once. I would love to do that and just walk around the park as a guest.

It was different for me because I had to open a ride, usually one of the dark rides. The checklist requires you to walk through the attraction, something I personally hated doing because animatronics scare me, especially when they’re not operating. But if I could just leisurely walk around with no one there in the morning, sign me up.
Sometimes I can't help but visualize myself riding Pirates late at night with all the music off and the figures static and just how awesomely creepy that would be. I bet it's worse when you have to walk through it by yourself!

Darkbeer1

The city of Anaheim has no restrictions as to operating hours for the Resort.

The Anaheim Fire Department handles the Fireworks permits, and those do have operational limits, including hours.

The State of California places limits on Alcoholic Sales, including a strict rule that any beverages must be consumed (not sold) by 2 AM.

That said, Disney has sets of rules of when backstage vehicles and equipment can be "on stage" and that timing is tight currently, so it is Disney that is deciding on the amount of maximum hours per day of public operation.

Early Entry Hours tend to be only a section of the park, allowing the other areas more time to get ready and all equipment backstage.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The checklist requires you to walk through the attraction, something I personally hated doing because animatronics scare me, especially when they’re not operating. But if I could just leisurely walk around with no one there in the morning, sign me up.

lol 5 nights at Disneyland amirite. At least when Pirates breaks down, the animatronics don't start eating the guests.

I got plenty of these :hilarious:

Californian Elitist

lol 5 nights at Disneyland amirite. At least when Pirates breaks down, the animatronics don't start eating the guests.

I got plenty of these :hilarious:

Try walking past the Wicked Witch multiple times by yourself when there’s no movement or sound. Terrifying. I screamed multiple times when doing those stupid walkthroughs.

Snow White and Pinocchio were the worst.

britain

Hmm...

Perhaps research indicated that one of the strong reasons for the current soft attendance at DL was that a lot of people were waiting for RotR later in the year (as Disney said) and everyone was feeling like that would be later this summer.

If RotR opened late August at Disneyland, as marni1971 said was the plan at one point, that may have been soon enough for people to put off going to DL until late summer, early fall.

Perhaps now announcing January 17th as the opening date, Disney effectively telling its Anaheim audience, "Stop waiting for RotR! It's not going to open for a good while, so come enjoy summer at the park now!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom