News Blizzard Beach closing for extended refurbishment this year with enhancements coming

DisneyCane

Anecdotal evidence only, but outside the parks as a longtime local I haven't seen a July this dead in years. I can get day-of dining reservations I shouldn't be able to get in peak season. Traffic throughout the area is steady but not the typical peak season insane, even on 192 and I4. Disney Springs seems to have lower crowds, easier parking and plenty of walk-up dining availability.

We have the water park after 2 passes (best value ever!), have been frequently using them this June / July. Both water parks most afternoons have very very quiet, even with good weather. By 5-6pm they are a ghost town, with walk-ons everywhere and still 2 operating hours left in the day.
There is a reason that they are offering passholders unlimited water park admission for the cost of a single day admission. It isn't because they are too crowded!

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Yes, but does a toilet bowl or sideways cone fit on a snowy mountain?

I get what you're saying but it would depend on how it's themed really.. a lot about a waterpark doesn't fit on a snowy mountain. they could even build something like kali river rapids (or some other type of wet ride) as well

ToTBellHop

I get what you're saying but it would depend on how it's themed really.. a lot about a waterpark doesn't fit on a snowy mountain. they could even build something like kali river rapids (or some other type of wet ride) as well
My concern is they are no longer willing to build a snowy peak to hide a slide, so any water slide will be visible like Crush n Gusher or Misadventure Falls.

eddie104

To everyone complaining about the stairs, other then the double tube slides on the back of the mountain (for which you must lug that tube up from the bottom) every other slide at BB is accessible from the ski lift.
Being a Florida native I’m very much use to the weather here. But I will say it’s funny that that were known as the “sunshine” state but it can get pretty dark and gloomy for a lot of the year with all the rain especially in the summer.

PizzaPlanet

My concern is they are no longer willing to build a snowy peak to hide a slide, so any water slide will be visible like Crush n Gusher or Misadventure Falls.
Granted the Runoff Rapids are pretty visible.

nickys

Premium Member
Could it be as simple as installing more lighting so they can do after hours events here, like at Typhoon Lagoon?

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Where could they build? There is limited space within the parks current confines for expansion. The surrounding land while considered wetlands is not marked conservation space, however is considered unsuitable for development. So something could go there, but not easily.

RCID Maps courtesy of @MisterPenguin

cmMGfV4.png
sKvLyOv.png
99tejbO.png

Disone

No. Just no.

And it’s “erring”. If you insist on making things up, at least do it right.

Disney is still investing a LOT in its domestic parks. And Paris. It’s not about increasing attendance but rather guest spending. It’s easier (and cheaper for them) to make us spend 5% more than it is to get 5% more guests.
I'm sorry you think I'm making this up. I'm sorry you feel like you also need to correct and be the grammar police. Keep it civil my friend it's just a news board. I'm not making anything up I'm just speculating like you. However adding to the speculation, have you seen any construction permits filed yet?

Disone

Is attendance really down? I was thinking that maybe it's just more spread out in the 4 parks, with AK and DHS bringing in more people than ever. I was there mid june and AK had never been more crowded.
Yes it's down. About 6 % for the quarter. Occupancy rates at tbe resorts are also way down. Blockout dates are being lifted on the parks and cast discounts are readily available at the vast majority of the resorts.

seascape

Yes it's down. About 6 % for the quarter. Occupancy rates at tbe resorts are also way down. Blockout dates are being lifted on the parks and cast discounts are readily available at the vast majority of the resorts.
The conference call is on 8/6/2019. We will find out how things are going then. While attendance may be down at Disneyland due to blackouts, profits could be up anyway due to all the Lightsabers and droids being sold. We will all just have to wait and see. The one thing that is nor debatable is that the studio blew away all records for box office receipts for the second quarter and by 8/6/2016 they will announce they broke the yearly record of 7.61 billion.

Disone

The conference call is on 8/6/2019. We will find out how things are going then. While attendance may be down at Disneyland due to blackouts, profits could be up anyway due to all the Lightsabers and droids being sold. We will all just have to wait and see. The one thing that is nor debatable is that the studio blew away all records for box office receipts for the second quarter and by 8/6/2016 they will announce they broke the yearly record of 7.61 billion.
Agreed. I suspect the conference call will mention an increase in Revenue due to a better pricing strategy and perhaps it may or may not mention that attendance was either flat or a little soft versus the prior year. Purely a guess on my part.

doctornick

Indeed. I’m actually excited to sneak in before the crowds presumably get bad. I imagine 2020 will be unpleasant due to numerous refurbishments and new showstoppers. I expect RotR and MMRR to be spectacular. It’s 2019 and then not again til 2021 for me.

This reflects why the parks need constant things being built/opened. People won't defer visits if there is always something new and exciting to see. While waiting means may be you see something but other stuff will still be coming. If there is a big project every year (and there should be at WDW with 4 parks), no reason for anyone to skip a year or defer.

ToTBellHop

This reflects why the parks need constant things being built/opened. People won't defer visits if there is always something new and exciting to see. While waiting means may be you see something but other stuff will still be coming. If there is a big project every year (and there should be at WDW with 4 parks), no reason for anyone to skip a year or defer.
Indeed. It is my hope that after the current wave of expansion, they will cycle between large additions to each park on a four-year cycle. The current clip is unsustainable but they shouldn’t slow back to 2010-levels.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not expecting much to be added... I don't think Blizzard Beach was planning to add anything but rather this is TDO trying to find ways to mitigate costs because both attendance at the parks and occupancy at the resorts is significantly down this summer. You don't need to be an Insider to see this. There were no phased closings during the July Fourth holiday week. Cast member blockout dates are being lifted. Galaxy's Edge is underperforming at Disneyland. There's arguments to be made that this will or this will not be an issue at Walt Disney World, but I think right now team Disney Orlando is erroring on the side of caution just in case it underperforms here as well.
I would tend to agree.
No. Just no.

And it’s “erring”. If you insist on making things up, at least do it right.

Disney is still investing a LOT in its domestic parks. And Paris. It’s not about increasing attendance but rather guest spending. It’s easier (and cheaper for them) to make us spend 5% more than it is to get 5% more guests.
That’s wasn’t the argument...you went off the grid there. Because they’re building some
Stuff, doesn’t mean they won’t constantly look to lower the costs. They have for decades.

And you’re a fool if you think the goal isn’t to increase spending AND attendance.

Please don’t tell me you’re buying that excuse line of crap??
Is attendance really down? I was thinking that maybe it's just more spread out in the 4 parks, with AK and DHS bringing in more people than ever. I was there mid june and AK had never been more crowded.
No...there’s no reason a “boom” would have a light summer...the price increases have taken their toll...particularly those not staying on property. That’s my semi-experienced take
6 months seems like a very short period of time to install a new attraction.

I don’t care for the enclosed slides but did they ever fix/replace the third runoff rapids slide?

Regardless, the last time I was there everything just seemed quite run down. Faded chipped paint, broken effects, poor landscaping, etc. This just seems like extra time to really clean the place up.
Not necessarily. Water slides are always prefabricated and the theming doesn’t require six years of wdi nonsense
Anecdotal evidence only, but outside the parks as a longtime local I haven't seen a July this dead in years. I can get day-of dining reservations I shouldn't be able to get in peak season. Traffic throughout the area is steady but not the typical peak season insane, even on 192 and I4. Disney Springs seems to have lower crowds, easier parking and plenty of walk-up dining availability.

We have the water park after 2 passes (best value ever!), have been frequently using them this June / July. Both water parks most afternoons have very very quiet, even with good weather. By 5-6pm they are a ghost town, with walk-ons everywhere and still 2 operating hours left in the day.
I think their price war has succeeded...I just don’t think they ever thought it would. Nor do they want it to:
Miss Adventure Falls at Typhoon Lagoon was largely installed during its refurb window, so it is definitely doable.
Yes...small scale attractions without heavy ground work.

But they can also plan if for a fight window...something Disney used to excel at but now won’t try.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Indeed. It is my hope that after the current wave of expansion, they will cycle between large additions to each park on a four-year cycle. The current clip is unsustainable but they shouldn’t slow back to 2010-levels.
Not only is it “sustainable”...it’s necessary. They used up the advantage built up during the evil Eisner reign and the ten years of stagnation puts them in longterm catch up

doctornick

Yeah. I think every year should have at least one big ticket item opening at some park (E-ticket ride, new land, etc.) and then at least something smaller at another park (could be new show or entertainment or a smaller C-ticket). Have that every year and you'd basically never have people deferring trips waiting for something to open because there would always be something new. And that's how you'd make those every 3 or 4 years people into every year or 2 people.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah. I think every year should have at least one big ticket item opening at some park (E-ticket ride, new land, etc.) and then at least something smaller at another park (could be new show or entertainment or a smaller C-ticket). Have that every year and you'd basically never have people deferring trips waiting for something to open because there would always be something new. And that's how you'd make those every 3 or 4 years people into every year or 2 people.

You know...it’s funny how an old park operator tried to do that very thing from 1955-2000 ish...

If only I could remember the name of it 🤔

If you do one add on average every 3 years to a park...that very plan comes to fruition and the parks always feel refreshed

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom