The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

I bought a pair of sandals from a shop in Saigon. They were hand made and the sole was make out of a car tire. I had those for years and years. I cannot even begin to convey how comfortable those were. The leather strapping finally gave out after almost constant wear for about 20 summers. I have looked and looked and have never found any even close to being like them since. I have no desire to go back to Vietnam to see if the shop is still there. ;):)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
According to the charts I should replace them even more often:eek::banghead:

What charts? Assuming the manufacturer made up a chart that tells people to replace them earlier than needed -- so that the company can make more money!! :p

I rarely replace shoes -- have a bunch of different sneakers and 3 pair of Teva sport sandals. I just keep rotating all of them around. My favorite pairs of sneakers are New Balance. For some reason, that brand fits me the best.

Figgy1

Premium Member
What charts? Assuming the manufacturer made up a chart that tells people to replace them earlier than needed -- so that the company can make more money!! :p

I rarely replace shoes -- have a bunch of different sneakers and 3 pair of Teva sport sandals. I just keep rotating all of them around. My favorite pairs of sneakers are New Balance. For some reason, that brand fits me the best.
Runners and walkers last between 250 and 500 miles depending on how rough a terrain you use them on. I'd say that's about right

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Runners and walkers last between 250 and 500 miles depending on how rough a terrain you use them on. I'd say that's about right

Good to know. (Of course, I haven't a clue how far I walk on any given day. ;) ) Sometimes, like today, I climb up a (very small) mountain in my area. Other times I walk miles of trails, but switch up directions so I don't really keep track of actual miles. I just keep on walking . . . LOL . . . :hilarious:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Good to know. (Of course, I haven't a clue how far I walk on any given day. ;) ) Sometimes, like today, I climb up a (very small) mountain in my area. Other times I walk miles of trails, but switch up directions so I don't really keep track of actual miles. I just keep on walking . . . LOL . . . :hilarious:
I do because it's almost exactly the same distance around my lake as walking around EPCOT

MySmallWorldof4

I have worn my Teva sport sandals for just about every summer day for the last 6 years now. They were the only sandals I ever had that never gave me blisters.

donaldtoo

Kind of reminds me of Saigon in 1970 except that there would be up to a family of 5 on a single Honda 90. For those not familiar with a Honda 90 it was just a notch above a bicycle. No helmets either. The father driving, the mother (sidesaddle behind him) behind her was a kid sitting on the makeshift "luggage rack" and the smallest on the handle bars. If there was a baby, mamma would be holding it. If it was a larger child they would be straddling the gas tank in front of Dad. I guess that if you live in a war zone for a few decades safety doesn't even cross your mind. BTW, stop signs existed and were promptly ignored. Just driving in the city was a very big risk and for a GI, it was double jeopardy. If you had an accident and someone was injured, the local authorities were able to process punishment (In the form of large fines from those rich Americans) and when you got back to your unit, the military came down on you as well. I was fortunate that nothing happened when I was driving, but, I knew some guys that were involved in an accident, like hitting one of those cycles, and just kept driving and didn't stop.

The Honda 50’s and 70’s had even smaller motors...

678FB421-D7D6-4BE8-BD06-C1127659A943.jpeg3C26A197-C931-485B-97FF-CDFFDC83EE21.jpeg

As I’ve posted before...
We had a 1969 Honda Trail 90 back in the day, that looked exactly like this one...

CA32B341-EDC2-4C76-9C9A-5F596AC23A6A.jpeg

We used to ride it on trails in No Cal, and it was also street legal, so pop rode it to work and back to IBM just a coupla’ miles down the road plenty of times, especially during the “oil crisis”.
We also used to haul it with us back to Texas every summer, and ride it around on the farms.
It also came in handy one time when the water pump went out in the truck on a backroad in Arizona one morning. No cell phones then, and we couldn’t raise anybody in the area on the CB at the time, so pop just hopped on the Honda and headed to the nearest town (we did have stone tablet maps back then :D). He came back a while later riding in a tow truck with the 90 in the back (tow trucks were a bit different back then, too).
The truck was fixed, with the help of my pop :hilarious:, and we were on the road again that afternoon...!!! :)

The setup for hauling the Honda 90 was similar to this, with plenty of room between the camper door and bike, but, my pop built it himself...!!!!! :happy::)

3E06645B-A9FC-4005-80B7-7FDC0E237087.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom