News Crazy fight in Toontown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly! Nobody is paying the brave guests who stepped in either! I think it's instinct and common sense to do something about a situation like that. I 100% know that my husband would have intervened the second he sees a woman being punched in the face. What is wrong with the world...?

Because the general public doesn't have to worry about being PC or losing their job. Whoever was the first manager on the scene, they could have a wife, 2 kids, bills, etc. All that comes first. Some fool making a scene at disney....not worth losing their job over.

Same goes for Walmart, Lowes, KFC, etc. No worker can touch a customer without getting fired. I know for a fact that a Lowes worker can't even step an inch outside the door if someone shoplifts, or they can be hired. I watched it in real life. two workers were on their tippy toes at the entrance, as some dude ran past me with a toolbox of sorts. The workers just stood there, trying to see a make/model of the car he jumped into.

SuddenStorm

I've seen Disneyland pop up in the news more in the last few weeks quite a bit. Even the local Utah news ran an article about the low crowds.

A billion dollar expansion. Record low crowds. The whole country watching and reporting on Disneyland... I wouldn't be at all surprised if this fight got decent amounts of press coverage. At least, more press coverage than it would have a year ago.

This has the potential to be a pr disaster, and I'm very curious to see how Disney responds to this one. All this talk of preserving the magic, having employees be in character to improve immersion, and providing top notch customer service- all while their security staff watches a woman get assaulted on property.

Darkbeer1

To be fair, I was at the Downtown LA Target last weekend around 11 PM, and saw a security team exit the store, grab a shoplifter (presumably), placed him in a security hold (one arm held behind his back), and then the three (some plain clothed, other in security/loss prevention shirts) forced him back into the store, presumably to the holding area for the police. I was near the exit door and just stepped to the side to get out of the way. Glad to see it. So it can be done. I presume that Target had the video evidence prior to deciding to grab him.

As I understand it, they can go after someone if they remain on private property, such as the entrance area or parking lot. Once the suspect touches a public sidewalk or street, they can't pursue, or have to let go of the suspect.

To be fair, I was at the Downtown LA Target last weekend around 11 PM, and saw a security team exit the store, grab a shoplifter (presumably), placed him in a security hold (one arm held behind his back), and then the three (some plain clothed, other in security/loss prevention shirts) forced him back into the store, presumably to the holding area for the police. I was near the exit door and just stepped to the side to get out of the way. Glad to see it. So it can be done. I presume that Target had the video evidence prior to deciding to grab him.

As I understand it, they can go after someone if they remain on private property, such as the entrance area or parking lot. Once the suspect touches a public sidewalk or street, they can't pursue, or have to let go of the suspect.

I've heard Target actually has a security staff and can/will do as you said. 99% of other companies...nope!

Kiwiduck

It's scary to know that if I accidentally bump into or somehow anger the wrong person and they attack me, that Disney security will just stand around and watch me get beat up on. My respect for Disney security couldn't be lower and thank god for those women that there were some brave and decent hearted bystanders to help them.

mickEblu

Exactly! Nobody is paying the brave guests who stepped in either! I think it's instinct and common sense to do something about a situation like that. I 100% know that my husband would have intervened the second he sees a woman being punched in the face. What is wrong with the world...?

I dunno. I’d like to agree but if I’m going to catch a fist to the head it better be worth it. Not to save his girlfriend thats basically apologizing to him at the end of the video and explaining she did nothing wrong. She will undoubtedly go home with him and be beat up again in private sooner or later. Im also not sure I want to defend a vulgar woman who spit in his face. Don’t get me wrong the guy deserves to get his @$$ beat. I’m just not going to sit here anonymously on the internet and say that I would have jumped in if I was there. Maybe but probably not. I would definitely come to the aid of an innocent lady in need however. It also appears to me that these people are all family or family friends so that adds a whole other dynamic.

vancee

I dunno. I’d like to agree but if I’m going to catch a fist to the head it better be worth it. Not to save his girlfriend thats basically apologizing to him at the end of the video and explaining she did nothing wrong. She will undoubtedly go home with him and be beat up again in private sooner or later. Im also not sure I want to defend a vulgar woman who spit in his face. Don’t get me wrong the guy deserves to get his @$$ beat. I’m just not going to sit here anonymously on the internet and say that I would have jumped in if I was there. Maybe but probably not. I would definitely come to the aid of a lady in need however. It also appears to me that these people are all family or family friends so that adds a whole other dynamic.
I think the lady that spit and her husband were a separate group. I think the rest were all a family or something, even the girl that was beat up by the dude in the pink shirt. So confusing lol.

vancee

It's scary to know that if I accidentally bump into or somehow anger the wrong person and they attack me, that Disney security will just stand around and watch me get beat up on. My respect for Disney security couldn't be lower and thank god for those women that there were some brave and decent hearted bystanders to help them.
Yeah it’s pretty scary, sadly it’s the world we live in. The way this dude was beating up women, I’m actually afraid for my mother or even my uncensored grandma who likes to give her piece of mind from time to time to strangers. What if they run into a @!#% like this guy? They would be toast. People are so cruel and have no respect for others.

Tanna Eros

This honestly scares me and upsets me.
Well, people on the fence about going there as a vacation may make a decision of not going due to this video.
It's out there, now, and with download software for Youtube, it's going to be out there, no matter the scrubbing.
They can either up their security game, and allow the park to fallow into more of what this video shows.
The ball's in their court.

Last edited:

Kiwiduck

I dunno. I’d like to agree but if I’m going to catch a fist to the head it better be worth it. Not to save his girlfriend thats basically apologizing to him at the end of the video and explaining she did nothing wrong. She will undoubtedly go home with him and be beat up again in private sooner or later. Im also not sure I want to defend a vulgar woman who spit in his face. Don’t get me wrong the guy deserves to get his @$$ beat. I’m just not going to sit here anonymously on the internet and say that I would have jumped in if I was there. Maybe but probably not. I would definitely come to the aid of an innocent lady in need however. It also appears to me that these people are all family or family friends so that adds a whole other dynamic.
It's tragic if she was apologising to him but not unusual in domestic violence situations. Somehow she may have internalised that she deserves to be treated in that way and hopefully having someone intervene on her behalf may help her realise that she deserves better in life.

Tanna Eros

I still hold the door open for ladies. Sue me, AOC.

And I absolutely loved that older janitor CM in the video who tried to get people calmed down, even though as an older gent he had less ability to defend himself than those young women who were knocked out cold onto the Toontown pavement.

That janitor was the only CM who tried to help. I bet he holds doors open for ladies too.
And when men like you hold the door, I say "Thank you." It's the little touches that are appreciated in today's world.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

Maybe that’s what it takes for security to show up in Disneyland. Somebody should’ve shoplifted a churro to get this fight stopped faster.

vancee

Maybe that’s what it takes for security to show up in Disneyland. Somebody should’ve shoplifted a churro to get this fight stopped faster.
They really don’t care about shoplifting. A couple years back we witnessed a lady that looked like she was shoplifting and walked out of the Emporium. Told a Cast Member, just incase because we weren’t sure, cast member didn’t care. Said she couldn’t say anything if they did, by that time the lady was already on Main Street. Saw two security guards walking on Main Street and told them as well, they said they didn’t see it so they couldn’t do anything. They then walked the opposite direction of the lady after we pointed her out to them on Main Street. I was shocked.

Darkbeer1

What might happen is Disney to request more APD officers for the resort. Disney pays 100% of the costs of the officers, plus all their benefits, and an additional amount to cover the upper management and other staff needed for the DLR officers. Then currently pay for 10, saw at least 4 today on property.

What is worse is the APD traffic officers needed. Disney pays the overtime rate the "volunteer" officers are paid to work the shifts. Now you understand why the Parking structures are such a mess exiting at night. Disney wants to keep the mess on property to require the least amount of officers on public streets. We are talking about over a million dollars a year. As an Anaheim resident/taxpayer, very happy they get billed. (Same for the Ducks, Angels, Convention Center)

Sir_Cliff

It is surprising that Disney security would be so slow to react to something like this. Everyone was just sort of left to fend for themselves while this was going on in the middle of Toontown. There wasn't even an effort even to clear the area. Are there any analogous incidents at WDW to compare responses?

I thought Disney was increasingly concerned about the possibility of serious incidents occurring at the parks, but this suggests it would be every man, woman, and child for themselves if anything ever happened.

I’m not sure what the guy in the reddish pink shirt is wearing that a dress code would deter.
I very much agree with this. I don't know for certain what sort of screening process people want Disney to apply that would have kept these people from entering the park just by looking at them, but there's probably a very good reason Disney doesn't apply it.

vancee

What might happen is Disney to request more APD officers for the resort. Disney pays 100% of the costs of the officers, plus all their benefits, and an additional amount to cover the upper management and other staff needed for the DLR officers. Then currently pay for 10, saw at least 4 today on property.

What is worse is the APD traffic officers needed. Disney pays the overtime rate the "volunteer" officers are paid to work the shifts. Now you understand why the Parking structures are such a mess exiting at night. Disney wants to keep the mess on property to require the least amount of officers on public streets. We are talking about over a million dollars a year. As an Anaheim resident/taxpayer, very happy they get billed. (Same for the Ducks, Angels, Convention Center)
I’m surprised Disneyland doesn’t have their own police (other than security). Like how colleges have their own separated police force from the city.

Nirya

Because the general public doesn't have to worry about being PC or losing their job. Whoever was the first manager on the scene, they could have a wife, 2 kids, bills, etc. All that comes first. Some fool making a scene at disney....not worth losing their job over.

Same goes for Walmart, Lowes, KFC, etc. No worker can touch a customer without getting fired. I know for a fact that a Lowes worker can't even step an inch outside the door if someone shoplifts, or they can be hired. I watched it in real life. two workers were on their tippy toes at the entrance, as some dude ran past me with a toolbox of sorts. The workers just stood there, trying to see a make/model of the car he jumped into.

I'll second that this is a real thing in a LOT of big companies. When I worked at Office Depot, for example, we were actively discouraged from confronting shoplifters, and we needed to have visual evidence of them committing the action for our managers to be able to even approach them on the subject. Same when I was at Best Buy, though they at least set their security up to prevent a lot of shoplifting in the first place. Some places may have exceptions to those rules, but they're few and far between.

I’m surprised Disneyland doesn’t have their own police (other than security). Like how colleges have their own separated police force from the city.

This is actually something I was thinking of. At some point wouldn't it make a bit of sense to have their own dedicated security force?

Although, now that I think about it, the implications of Disney having their own private security force seems a bit ghoulish on some level.

They don't want to pay the benefits.

The way off duty police work happens is any company can hire any off duty police officer if the officer is willing to work for said amount. Pretend Disney offers $30 an hour. The in uniform officers you see are being 100% paid by Disney. If nothing bad happens, the officers do zero paperwork and all is well. If a fight like this happens and they break it up, and people get arrested, then the officer has a lot of paperwork to do. Their goal is just to get the overtime and go home, so if an off duty officer arrests you, then you REALLY deserve it. Overall, Disney isn't paying them any health insurance, any retirement, etc. Disney doesn't pay for their training, their uniforms, etc. It's just a flat hourly rate and that's it. It's much easier than running their own university like police force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom