Per Jim Hill, the Star Wars restaurant is coming.

Rodan75

Did someone just copy and paste the ‘Disney management is panicked that Pandora is not busy enough’ chain from the summer it opened and just did a find and replace?

If DLR management is concerned they aren’t busy enough, then maybe they just didn’t pay attention to what happened with Pandora. Tourists are smarter than they are given credit for. Only the diehards are going to make plans to visit an unfinished land (yes Pandora was finished) or plan to visit the month it opens. Most people want to avoid the adjust period.

There are just less people who need to be ‘first’, most people will wait.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's surprising to me because I thought two people had still been working on it up until recently. What was the capacity number on the print, and what was the kitchen layout? That will tell you a lot about the direction the restaurant's development took.

From an opinion perspective, if they continue forward with the restaurant being placed in the northeast expansion pad, you'll know the Chapek philosophy continues to reign supreme. The "Resistance" area is in dire need of more items of interest, and they've known that for years. You can easily put the restaurant (with changes) at the southwest corner of SW:GE with its backstage building going west of Winnie, but it will cost slightly more. I'm going to call it the Chapek Cheap Out method, which would be to put the restaurant in the northeast section, costing you the ability to ever expand SW:GE in the future, but saving money in the near-term. As is though, nothing has the green light, nothing is getting the green light earlier than January, and there's still time to course correct a bit.

So, let me get this straight:

You were 100% wrong about the placement of the restaurant. And when told you were wrong, instead of saying, "Oops, I got this wrong," or, "Oops, I need to go back to my source and find out why that had this wrong," you instead go off on how awful Disney management is for not having a restaurant where you thought it was going to be because they're leaving the Resistance area too barren and they knew that was a problem for years.

But... if you thought the restaurant was going in the Resistance area, then, you wouldn't have been thinking that the Resistance area is too barren because they have a restaurant going there. Instead, you should have been thinking "why is Disney thinking that the Resistance area is so barren... the restaurant is going there!"

Furthermore, you claim that you've seen the plans for the restaurant you presume was going in the Resistance area. But then say they'd have to revise the plans to make it fit there if it were to go there. Shouldn't the plans you've seen have already been customized for the Resistance area?

WDW Pro

So, let me get this straight:

You were 100% wrong about the placement of the restaurant. And when told you were wrong, instead of saying, "Oops, I got this wrong," or, "Oops, I need to go back to my source and find out why that had this wrong," you instead go off on how awful Disney management is for not having a restaurant where you thought it was going to be because they're leaving the Resistance area too barren and they knew that was a problem for years.

Here's what I said:

"2) In DLR (not WDW), that area is not where the restaurant would go. The restaurant would go in the SW section of the Resistance area (unless they have changed it since my last time seeing plans). That area you're referring to is one of the last remaining attraction expansion pads accessible for future DLR additions, so it's unlikely they would have moved the restaurant plans there again. It is possible, but I would say unlikely."

You'll note I said plans may have changed since I had been involved. You really need to work on reading comprehension. There have been two locations for the restaurant that have been bandied about throughout the design, with a very vocal group of individuals warning them that if they put the restaurant in the the stables slot then they make it impossible to ever expand SW:GE (this isn't an issue in DHS).

But... if you thought the restaurant was going in the Resistance area, then, you wouldn't have been thinking that the Resistance area is too barren because they have a restaurant going there. Instead, you should have been thinking "why is Disney thinking that the Resistance area is so barren... the restaurant is going there!"

Furthermore, you claim that you've seen the plans for the restaurant you presume was going in the Resistance area. But then say they'd have to revise the plans to make it fit there if it were to go there. Shouldn't the plans you've seen have already been customized for the Resistance area?

And this part of your post is just a garbled mess. Even with the restaurant going in the Winnie Option, the Resistance area is still sparse... it's sparse because of two reasons: 1) the need to wrap the land all the way over to Hungry Bear in a narrow area, and 2) the new jedi training stage attraction was to go in the area, but was scrapped due to push back from Lucasfilm because SW:GE takes place at a time when jedi aren't being trained by jedi masters. And then Chapek got on board with that because it was pitched that a single Rey actress could essentially achieve the same goal at significantly reduced overhead.

In the future if you're going to try "catch me" in fabrications, make sure to actually use the quote feature. It'll save you from being wrong.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's what I said:

"2) In DLR (not WDW), that area is not where the restaurant would go. The restaurant would go in the SW section of the Resistance area (unless they have changed it since my last time seeing plans). That area you're referring to is one of the last remaining attraction expansion pads accessible for future DLR additions, so it's unlikely they would have moved the restaurant plans there again. It is possible, but I would say unlikely."

You'll note I said plans may have changed since I had been involved. You really need to work on reading comprehension. There have been two locations for the restaurant that have been bandied about throughout the design, with a very vocal group of individuals warning them that if they put the restaurant in the the stables slot then they make it impossible to ever expand SW:GE (this isn't an issue in DHS).

And this part of your post is just a garbled mess. Even with the restaurant going in the Winnie Option, the Resistance area is still sparse... it's sparse because of two reasons: 1) the need to wrap the land all the way over to Hungry Bear in a narrow area, and 2) the new jedi training stage attraction was to go in the area, but was scrapped due to push back from Lucasfilm because SW:GE takes place at a time when jedi aren't being trained by jedi masters. And then Chapek got on board with that because it was pitched that a single Rey actress could essentially achieve the same goal at significantly reduced overhead.

In the future if you're going to try "catch me" in fabrications, make sure to actually use the quote feature. It'll save you from being wrong.

I accept your apology.

mikejs78

Premium Member
2) In DLR (not WDW), that area is not where the restaurant would go. The restaurant would go in the SW section of the Resistance area (unless they have changed it since my last time seeing plans). That area you're referring to is one of the last remaining attraction expansion pads accessible for future DLR additions, so it's unlikely they would have moved the restaurant plans there again. It is possible, but I would say unlikely."
It's been known for quite some time where the restaurant would go. I'm not even sure if anyone here ever mentioned it in a different area.

Also, if I recall, there are other expansion pads available. Someone posted a map at some point. So I'm not sure where you are getting all this from. Anyone have that map handy?

WDW Pro

It's been known for quite some time where the restaurant would go. I'm not even sure if anyone here ever mentioned it in a different area.

There's been significant hesitation about putting the restaurant in the stables slot. It was a main factor in not building it.

Also, if I recall, there are other expansion pads available. Someone posted a map at some point. So I'm not sure where you are getting all this from. Anyone have that map handy?

The only two expansion options are Winnie West, which is just north of the Winnie the Pooh show building, featuring space to the west of the show building that requires minimal backstage road work. That location is only big enough for a restaurant or a store. The other expansion area is referred to as The Stables, and it gives you as much room as you need for anything - even a roller coaster if that's what they decided on. That's the reason that in DL only, there's been significant push back not to put the restaurant there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's surprising to me because I thought two people had still been working on it up until recently. What was the capacity number on the print, and what was the kitchen layout? That will tell you a lot about the direction the restaurant's development took..
I can’t go into that amount of detail. Main seating area is 70x100 ft. Alcoves along the walls. Sizeable kitchen and BOH area. Once I’ve visited the land I’ll be able to see if the lobby and waiting areas were built if at all and to what degree.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I can’t go into that amount of detail. Main seating area is 70x100 ft. Alcoves along the walls. Sizeable kitchen and BOH area. Once I’ve visited the land I’ll be able to see if the lobby and waiting areas were built if at all and to what degree.

Wait...they were BUILT? That’s the degree of completion we are talking here?

...it's a yungle

Sometimes, you have to go through a lot of seeds to get to the watermelon😉

This will obviously happen. I question the use of the word "fast-tracked". The plan was to add it once the insane crowds died down. The insane crowds never showed up, so it makes sense to start building this.
Interior is fully designed. Looks quite nice too.
I don’t know until I have a look around myself. I know what and where they should be.

Thank you both for your reliable clarity and brevity

Kman101

This is mishandling of the theme park end that has damaged the Star Wars brand.

TDA thought they could have their cake and eat it too. Jack ticket and AP prices to unheard of levels, lockout all by the most expensive APs and still expect people to break the doors down with their wallets in the air.

Shockingly (lol) it didn’t happen.

Now it’s time for round 2 with TDO. No blackouts, but the record increases in ticket and APs. Add to the mix absolutely no incentives such as dining or rack rate discounts. (Seriously we’ve been so conditioned to hotel discounts, does anyone book rack rate anymore?). More bungling by morons.

But when those quarterly growth numbers are negative, it’s going to be a hoot of a show.

And then you have WDW AP previews that only include Platinum and above. Again disregarding the rest unless it's a shopping event, meaning we want your money but don't value you enough to include you.

It really is amazing what the casuals let Disney get away with.

Rodan75

It is the same conversation. Just the people are different. And DAK attendance is looking pretty good these days.

And it seems like every year about this time we get word that attendance isn’t meeting projections. I suspect that some of the inside sources translate Q4 goal pushes for bonus attainment as ‘business is bad’. Which is just standard middle management behavior.

I also have no doubt that attendance is below expectations, which indicates bad forecasting and not learning from recent launches. Disney has created a cadence in vacation planning. They announced opening dates too close to the opening to fit in that cadence. If they didn’t understand that, then their marketing, financial planning and park forecasting groups are too disconnected.

doctornick

If the interior, is all designed. This is happening at least in my opinion.

Yeah, it still seems to me that the TSR was intentionally delayed but intended as part of a Phase 2 plan. My guess: They probably did not build it due to concerns for crowds and potentially people loitering and creating table turnover problems and figured that would be less an issue once the overall land is open for a while.

And having it fast tracked would be easy to do if it is already designed.

Bleed0range

You guys all do realize a ton of talent makes money from their audience not from freebies right. Influence requires an audience period and if a person chooses to be positive or negative depends on the content their fans want not because omg free stuff. Because the free stuff doesn't pay the bills. If your audience is into you because your negative and you change because of free stuff then you'll lose your audience..

I believe people are into these Disney vloggers because they get to see them go into the parks all the time while they don’t. So I don’t know that their opinions make much of a difference. It’s just whether or not you like that particular person’s vlogging style. The freebies however allow them to do more and it means they’ll make more money if they’re being comp’d for the experiences. So yeah, you’d still want to keep the gravy train rolling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom