Per Jim Hill, the Star Wars restaurant is coming.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1) The fact they are lining guests in backstage areas is completely and utterly against company policy and I have no idea who is directing it be used in that way or why.
2) In DLR (not WDW), that area is not where the restaurant would go. The restaurant would go in the SW section of the Resistance area (unless they have changed it since my last time seeing plans). That area you're referring to is one of the last remaining attraction expansion pads accessible for future DLR additions, so it's unlikely they would have moved the restaurant plans there again. It is possible, but I would say unlikely.

The TSR in SWL is going in the same exact place (if they ever build it) in both lands, namely, the uncovered box behind Oga's. That is where the cargo crates are that is creating the overflow queue. Whether that is "backstage" is a matter of semantics since it was supposed to be "on stage" for the TSR. As far as letting guests backstage, there's a lot of precedent for that: tours, the short-lived hopper buses, letting guests out through overflow routes (such as behind both sides of Main Street), etc...

Bleed0range

Do we think the weak attendance is due to another round of price increases? Has the market finally adjusted itself where people think yea I'm not paying that much for less of a product that I have been getting over the past 10 years for a way cheaper price that I used to pay?

I’m not sure but I can say that Disney is getting close to pricing me completely out. If the ticket to get in costs too much I’ll go less and have less money to spend in the park itself. I went a lot when I was younger but now with kids of my own it’s getting more and more difficult.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, it’s empty because of those variables mentioned before. Many people have said it better then I have including (but not limited to):

The fact it is happening is the problem. The fact they spent a ton on all kinds of prep... that isn’t needed is a problem.

It’s not as much about “is ge a failure” as it is “our summer is a failure right now, what are we doing to save this sucker?”

People are getting too hung up on defending the “success/failure” of GE and are missing the fact that DLR is the one in the crapper and emotional defenses don’t matter. What matters is the park is way under performing and what that will mean to leadership behavior and decisions.

Yeah I would want to keep getting free trips from Disney too. But that being said, I’ve noticed some bloggers just rarely have anything negative to say to begin with, like Tim Tracker... from even before he was comp’d by Disney. But I did notice he didn’t seem to be gushing over it as much as others and has rarely brought it up when it comes to the WDW version. He must not be that into it.

... also, is this table service restaurant actually happening or proven this is false?
You guys all do realize a ton of talent makes money from their audience not from freebies right. Influence requires an audience period and if a person chooses to be positive or negative depends on the content their fans want not because omg free stuff. Because the free stuff doesn't pay the bills. If your audience is into you because your negative and you change because of free stuff then you'll lose your audience..

TrojanUSC

Couple of things:
1) The fact they are lining guests in backstage areas is completely and utterly against company policy and I have no idea who is directing it be used in that way or why.

What? Its frowned upon and should be avoided, but guests are in backstage areas all the time, from Main Street bypass on crowded days to the Express Transportation service they used. Heck on New Years Eve the MK Park 1 parking lot becomes a dance club.

TP2000

The fact they are lining guests in backstage areas is completely and utterly against company policy and I have no idea who is directing it be used in that way or why.

I thought it was strange too. Particularly because you would think they'd have plenty of queue space designed for the Falcon ride.

I've outlined in red the back of house buildings you can see from this overflow queue, that are Disneyland warehouses also easily spotted via Google Earth. Bob Chapek has just immersed you!

Again, what I find fascinating is that they needed to use this area for queue for a ride that has no Fastpass and a line that has never actually extended past 60 minutes, in a land that technically has a "Virtual Queue" entry process that they haven't used since opening day due to modest crowds.

And yet Imagineering execs and Bob Chapek would have us believe that Star Wars Land sets a new benchmark for theme park design and "Immersion!". But with modest crowds they put the 45 minute line for the Falcon back on an employee parking lot with views of Disneyland's support warehouses? :bored:

As these opening weeks click along, so much of this Star Wars Land hype just doesn't seem to make sense. It's not quite like the Emperor has no clothes, but it's getting there.

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

The lack of queue space for SR makes no sense. Does anyone know: Is there an area of the queue that’s not being used right now for some reason?

It’s nearly impossible that Disney designed for there to only be 45 minutes of queue space for a major attraction. It absolutely must be an operations issue that’ll be fixed. Right?

mhaftman7

ive heard tons of youtubers and podcasters.. I haven't heard a negative word yet..
I mean, in all honesty, TONS of youtubers and podcasters implies you’ve seen/listened to only 20 at a minimum, figuratively speaking. That being said, the average youtuber/podcaster weighing 200 lbs may be light. No pun intended. 😁

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The TSR in SWL is going in the same exact place (if they ever build it) in both lands, namely, the uncovered box behind Oga's. That is where the cargo crates are that is creating the overflow queue. Whether that is "backstage" is a matter of semantics since it was supposed to be "on stage" for the TSR. As far as letting guests backstage, there's a lot of precedent for that: tours, the short-lived hopper buses, letting guests out through overflow routes (such as behind both sides of Main Street), etc...

Letting people backstage may not be against company policy, but it is a total fail if a 45 minute queue needs a back stage queue.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Letting people backstage may not be against company policy, but it is a total fail if a 45 minute queue needs a back stage queue.

Speaking of a 45 minute queue, I thought SWL was dead and SR had very short waits. While bad show, isn't it a sign it's not as dead as it was?

WDW Pro

Interior is fully designed. Looks quite nice too.

That's surprising to me because I thought two people had still been working on it up until recently. What was the capacity number on the print, and what was the kitchen layout? That will tell you a lot about the direction the restaurant's development took.

From an opinion perspective, if they continue forward with the restaurant being placed in the northeast expansion pad, you'll know the Chapek philosophy continues to reign supreme. The "Resistance" area is in dire need of more items of interest, and they've known that for years. You can easily put the restaurant (with changes) at the southwest corner of SW:GE with its backstage building going west of Winnie, but it will cost slightly more. I'm going to call it the Chapek Cheap Out method, which would be to put the restaurant in the northeast section, costing you the ability to ever expand SW:GE in the future, but saving money in the near-term. As is though, nothing has the green light, nothing is getting the green light earlier than January, and there's still time to course correct a bit.

WDW Pro

Speaking of a 45 minute queue, I thought SWL was dead and SR had very short waits. While bad show, isn't it a sign it's not as dead as it was?

It's a holiday week, the boarding passes still aren't needed, other attractions are now drawing larger crowds after the morning rush, and SR should be pulling at least half of what Radiator Springs pulled a few years ago during Independence Day week... but it's at about a third of that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom