News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

DisneyCane

Well, with the stations all having aux power generators big enough to turn the bullwheels, the only other situation I can think of that might require a static evacuation is a cable coming off a tower (due to structural failure, sudden wind or some clowns swinging their cabin).
A sudden wind (or any wind during operation) or people swinging the cabin is not going to cause the cable to come off the sheave wheels. It takes tremendous force to lift the cable.

People swinging will still have a downward component of force. There isn't enough weight of people or room to move to generate enough angular momentum to swing past 90 degrees. As for wind, you'd probably need an F4 or F5 tornado (which are extremely rare in Florida) or a direct hit from a major hurricane. In neither case will anybody be riding the gondola.

Last edited:

beertiki

I just can't believe the 120 degree rumor, or that some people would believe it. When the gondola idea was pitched to the Disney bosses, I am sure several said that they might be too hot. Somehow I picture a gondola cabin on a trailer or in front of a few large fans in August of 2016 around 1pm hidden somewhere on Disney property. The bosses get in, and either they get towed or the fans come on for 5 minutes. No one dies, and they all get out saying it was cooler than they expected and the project moves on.

My guess is, the heat issue became a non issue before we even knew it existed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
A sudden wind (or any wind during operation) or people swinging the cabin is not going to cause the cable to come off the sheave wheels. It takes tremendous force to lift the cable.

People swinging will still have a downward component of force. The isn't enough weight of people or room to move to generate enough angular momentum to swing past 90 degrees. As for wind, you'd probably need an F4 or F5 tornado (which are extremely rare in Florida) or a direct hit from a major hurricane. In neither case will anybody be riding the gondola.
Well, I'd say this whole thread is all about the "extremely rare" happening. I'm no "medium" but I do have a penchant for imagining the worst possible outcome. And from what I've seen in the photos, this whole project is "well done."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Was just wondering, are these things equipped with panic buttons or some kind of communication in case of a medical emergency onboard? Not sure what could be done but in the case of a breakdown how will passengers be communicated with?

It'll be pretty difficult for just one to break down without the whole line being affected. I'm sure they have cameras on the lines looking for that one-in-a-million chance a cabin hits the poles and becomes detached.

While a panic button could theoretically alert them to have EMs at the station (continuing on to the station will be faster than evacuation) anyone calling 911 would have the same effect.

rle4lunch

It'll be pretty difficult for just one to break down without the whole line being affected. I'm sure they have cameras on the lines looking for that one-in-a-million chance a cabin hits the poles and becomes detached.

While a panic button could theoretically alert them to have EMs at the station (continuing on to the station will be faster than evacuation) anyone calling 911 would have the same effect.

More like 1 in 100 million chance.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Not one cabin breaking down... when the whole line goes down... if there is a medical emergency onboard, call 911 and say you're in a gondola somewhere above WDW? Is that as good as it gets?
Well, you CAN be more specific... "I'm in Gondola number 233 on the Epcot line...you know, the blue one with the Frozen decals."

Movielover

Was just wondering, are these things equipped with panic buttons or some kind of communication in case of a medical emergency onboard? Not sure what could be done but in the case of a breakdown how will passengers be communicated with?
i1PnWmM.gif

tumblr_n8c1gsI25g1seby0qo4_500.gif

;)

For real though I figured there would be one way communication in the gondolas, but who knows.

Movielover

Not one cabin breaking down... when the whole line goes down... if there is a medical emergency onboard, call 911 and say you're in a gondola somewhere above WDW? Is that as good as it gets?

You will be in the air for less than 7 minutes. When you get to the station inform the CM about the emergency. It will likely take you longer to talk with 911 and describe the situation than it will to get to the next station.

rle4lunch

You will be in the air for less than 7 minutes. When you get to the station inform the CM about the emergency. It will likely take you longer to talk with 911 and describe the situation than it will to get to the next station.

This is how I imagine the nut job doom gloomers on this thread think what's going to happen if the gondola stops for 30 seconds.

Movielover

Speaking of James Bond's Jaws, we have not seen a solution to this cause of Skyliner catastrophe:

tenor.gif

You know I am not ashamed to admit I have looked up ways to cosplay as Jaws. I was going to try and make it to the opening day of these and just smile and wave creepily at people as we ride. Even if only one person got the reference that would be enough!

Bender123

I just hope this doesn't happen...

I really want to know what is going on in that clip...

First, the Gondola just takes off down the hill, which makes no sense at all...
Second, why is the cabin spinning?
Third, those skis must by bolted to the floor, or completely immune to centripetal forces
Fourth, just everything else...
Fifth...Are there no towers down the hill?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom