Less Immersion Improves Galaxy's Edge

Rich T

Original Poster
I'm almost certain Martin was quoted as saying there were droids, but they were cut for the initial opening due to issues with overcrowding and guests bumping into them. Additionally, he hinted at flying drones/space-ships in the sky above for some extra atmosphere, though this seems to be delayed until DHS' opening.
I mean, they have FULL SIZE talking automobiles (AND A FIRETRUCK) cruising along the streets of always-busy Radiator Springs, but they can't manage a couple of alien beasts meandering around GE?

We understand, Disney. Money's so tight, eh? You must really be hurting. We weep for you.

Rich T

Original Poster
OP: we need less immersion
Everyone in this thread: bring on the droids
Droids would be great. When I say "less immersion" I mean they should just stop with the whole play-acting Renaissance Fair "I'm not a park CM" nonsense and embrace the fact that this is Disneyland. No one believes Star Wars is real. No one believes they're not in a theme park. This is Disneyland. Own it and do what Disneyland does best; be the best dang THEME PARK on Earth.

mickEblu

Droids would be great. When I say "less immersion" I mean they should just stop with the whole play-acting Renaissance Fair "I'm not a park CM" nonsense and embrace the fact that this is Disneyland. No one believes Star Wars is real. No one believes they're not in a theme park. This is Disneyland. Own it and do what Disneyland does best; be the best dang THEME PARK on Earth.

Did you see my post about the interaction with the CM when she asked “what’s a ride?” In response to me asking when “this ride” (ROTR) opens?

Last edited:

Rich T

Original Poster
TBH I’m not crazy about the steampunk theme or aesthetics either. I’m sure it would have fit better than SWL but it wouldn’t be my first choice.
Brass, copper, top hats and steam-power...what's not to like?!? :D Okay, maybe it's not for everyone, but I think it says a lot when nearly all the later attractions that had their origins in Discovery Bay (Mysterious Island, Discoveryland, original Journey into Imagination, Thunder Mesa, Mystic Point, Adventurer's Club) have been some of Disney's best park creations ever! :)

Last edited:

Miru

Not be a downer but I was there and the guests in Mickey hats ain’t gunna cut it. Everything is static. Maybe they thought they could make up for this with good sound design? Maybe more streetmosphere will help? It needs music. It’s needs droids and creatures roaming around (or at least the ones that are around to be moving). It needs a water feature or 2 or 3. It need color. Its needs vines/ moss. It’s needs Jesus.
How about a Porg petting zoo as a tribute to Big Thunder Ranch?

Rich T

Original Poster
How about a Porg petting zoo as a tribute to Big Thunder Ranch?
How about a simple walk-through attraction where you interact with stabled Tauntauns, Dewbacks and Banthas? Talk about an easy, simple way to DELIGHT GUESTS and add an attraction in a relatively small space? COME ON, DISNEY! Get your greedy freaking brains off of selling $200 toys and focus on giving guests value and more entertainment! Jeepers.

George Lucas on a Bench

How about a simple walk-through attraction where you interact with stabled Tauntauns, Dewbacks and Banthas? Talk about an easy, simple way to DELIGHT GUESTS and add an attraction in a relatively small space? COME ON, DISNEY! Get your greedy freaking brains off of selling $200 toys and focus on giving guests value and more entertainment! Jeepers.

Universal Studios did this years ago in the Jurassic Park island of adventure. It was a charming walkthrough that actually delivered on the reasonable expectations of dinosaurs despite the fact that aside from the robots in the JP ride, all you experienced around the area were the sound effects of unseen dinos behind the fences. Anyway, there was a big triceratops that sneezed on you.

Galaxy Edge has this issue where they play the sound effects of things and there's clearly nothing there and it's a letdown basically. In the past, Disney could get away with this sort of thing and it was charming, such as the unseen pirates digging in the cave before you get on the boat in the WDW Pirate ride and the ultimate speaker at the exit of Haunted Mansion playing the sound of laughter.

Galaxy Edge feels weirdly static and un-charming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom