Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

britain

Disney managers are DEEPLY concerned at low crowds for SWGE. There are numerous fingers being pointed with the consensus that they worked TOO hard to scare people away. The message is set to adjust to “everything is wide open! Come on in!”

DHS will not be as restricted and they will market in earnest. They originally joked that they wouldn’t have to market at all...

Everything except the main attraction is wide open.

TiggerDad

I'm having flashbacks to my first trip to DLR - in 1984, the summer when the Olympics came to LA and there was mass panic in advance that the entire metro area would shut down due to smog, visitors, traffic, you name it. All the locals fled that summer, so it never materialized, and we had light traffic to get to the events. The day we went to Disneyland (parking where DCA is now ;)), the park was empty with no lines. It was great for us.

This will all even out eventually into an equilibrium. Locals will adjust plans and start trickling in to the park. And when ROR opens, all the people who only plan to go once will make their trip. Having ridden the Falcon, I wouldn't recommend that anyone wait more than 30-45 minutes to do it. It's not worth it unless you can guarantee to be a pilot.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm having flashbacks to my first trip to DLR - in 1984, the summer when the Olympics came to LA and there was mass panic in advance that the entire metro area would shut down due to smog, visitors, traffic, you name it. All the locals fled that summer, so it never materialized, and we had light traffic to get to the events.

Similar to what happened with Carmaggedon.

You panic people, they panic.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I think you're smart enough to know I'm referring to the latest movie in the franchise.

I'd think you'd be smart enough to know that one movie does not a franchise define.

gerarar

Premium Member
According to the site that shall not be named (on Twitter), DHS managers were spotted today in GE in DL being toured and taking notes on various things.

Not a surprise, but cool nonetheless. Hopefully they actually take precautions to prevent hourds within the land, and not get scared about the so-and-so lack of "demand" for GE within DL currently.

WDW Pro

I wonder how Disney feels about that ROI.

Well, they spent approx 4 billion on purchasing the rights... they spent another 2 billion on the lands in the parks. So from 6 billion, they've made back about 1.5 billion from Force Awakens, about 500 million from Last Jedi (although they're mum about how much the China debacle cost them, so it could be a little less), about the same for Rogue One, and they lost an estimated 100-300 million on Solo. So right now they're about 3 billion and change underwater, but the issue will be that there's almost no way of getting real numbers on how much the lands will effect tickets or revenues for DL or WDW.

And in case you're wondering about why the movies don't have just their gross revenues counted, you have to remember that movies have a production cost, and then you double that production cost to get an approximate production cost + marketing figure (although TLJ is an exception because it received massive advertising in China and was removed from theaters after one week which may have incurred extra expenses).

ToTBellHop

It's *way* better than the average of Disney Studios.

And has good post-theatrical windows.
Didn’t know that. I assume Marvel does the best given the clip at which they release those. Apparently 1 film/year is too much for Star Wars but 4 Marvel films a year doesn’t result in fatigue.

Granted if they can bring Scarlett Johansson back I’ll have no problem coming 4x a...year.

jt04

Disney managers are DEEPLY concerned at low crowds for SWGE. There are numerous fingers being pointed with the consensus that they worked TOO hard to scare people away. The message is set to adjust to “everything is wide open! Come on in!”

DHS will not be as restricted and they will market in earnest. They originally joked that they wouldn’t have to market at all...

Yeah right. GE was was not "wide open". They are still controlling the numbers from what I saw. You need better sources.

gerarar

Premium Member
According to the site that shall not be named (on Twitter), DHS managers were spotted today in GE in DL being toured and taking notes on various things.

Not a surprise, but cool nonetheless. Hopefully they actually take precautions to prevent hourds within the land, and not get scared about the so-and-so lack of "demand" for GE within DL currently.
Oops and now the DHS president, Phil Holmes, has been spotted!

Also while he's there, maybe he can see their Fantasmic! and hopefully feel obliged to give our version its much needed update :')

ToTBellHop

Yeah right. GE was was not "wide open". They are still controlling the numbers from what I saw. You need better sources.
“No reservations required” later in the day means wide open. Literally anyone could have walked in but the park is dead.

Remember how many months after opening you STILL needed to get an entry time to get into the Wizarding World?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Didn’t know that. I assume Marvel does the best given the clip at which they release those. Apparently 1 film/year is too much for Star Wars but 4 Marvel films a year doesn’t result in fatigue.

Granted if they can bring Scarlett Johansson back I’ll have no problem coming 4x a...year.

Average ROI (as figured out in the theatrical window using rough ballpark figuring...)
  • Disney Studios -8%
  • Fox X-Men: 7%
  • Disney Animation Studios: 21%
  • DCEU: 30%
  • Pixar: 38%
  • Sony Spider-Man(verse): 44%
  • MCU: 62%
  • Fox/Blue Sky Animation: 73%
Why do some very successful studios have such low ROI and some that produce middling fare have a great ROI? The size of the budget. Disney's budgets are outlandish.

See the big movie list linked in my sig below.

ToTBellHop

Average ROI (as figured out in the theatrical window using rough ballpark figuring...)
  • Disney Studios -8%
  • Fox X-Men: 7%
  • Disney Animation Studios: 21%
  • DCEU: 30%
  • Pixar: 38%
  • Sony Spider-Man(verse): 44%
  • MCU: 62%
  • Fox/Blue Sky Animation: 73%
Why do some very successful studios have such low ROI and some that produce middling fare have a great ROI? The size of the budget. Disney's budgets are outlandish.

See the big movie list linked in my sig below.
The budgets are baffling in some cases. Especially those live action remakes.

jt04

“No reservations required” later in the day means wide open. Literally anyone could have walked in but the park is dead.

From what I heard they are queuing people outside the land and letting them in as people leave. You can't just walk in at least until later in the day. This is to improve the guest experience.

Apparently it is working.

doctornick

Well, they spent approx 4 billion on purchasing the rights... they spent another 2 billion on the lands in the parks. So from 6 billion, they've made back about 1.5 billion from Force Awakens, about 500 million from Last Jedi (although they're mum about how much the China debacle cost them, so it could be a little less), about the same for Rogue One, and they lost an estimated 100-300 million on Solo. So right now they're about 3 billion and change underwater, but the issue will be that there's almost no way of getting real numbers on how much the lands will effect tickets or revenues for DL or WDW.

And in case you're wondering about why the movies don't have just their gross revenues counted, you have to remember that movies have a production cost, and then you double that production cost to get an approximate production cost + marketing figure (although TLJ is an exception because it received massive advertising in China and was removed from theaters after one week which may have incurred extra expenses).

Man and here I was thinking that Disney got a big cut from the gazillion toys and other Star Wars branded items that are sold practically everywhere. SW generates $2-3 billion a year just from merchandise sales.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom