Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

_bluebird

From a revenue standpoint, I'd say that the land's opening is a success. It doesn't matter how packed the land itself is because it has still managed to run out of a good portion of its merchandise, and the food stalls are also doing well. If you're going to judge the land based on its crowds, just wait until the APs are unblocked.

doctornick

This might not be so much about the over-reaction of reservations and Virtual Queues (that are not currently being used) from Disneyland management, but the fact that Falcon is a good but not groundbreaking E Ticket in a park that has a lot of other very good rides to offer.

But if that is the "issue" than the park overall would be busy and other rides would have typical (longish) wait times. But the park is significant less crowded than typical and all rides are having decreased waits. That means that guest overall simply aren't going to DL in the numbers one would typically see for this time of year. As has been mentioned numerous times, the AP blackouts play a significant role in this. But it also may be that people who expected it to be crowded due to SW:GE and would have otherwise gone to DLR made other plans.

MF:SR sucking wouldn't cause Peter Pan's Flight to have short waits.

Rodneyt74

Well, we can cite that Last Jedi made $700 million less than Force Awakens at the box office if you'd like... that's a loss of more than nearly all movies gross. Choose your analytic and it's still basically impossible to spin what's going on with the Star Wars franchise. And it's the opposite of Marvel.
All of the second movies in each of the trilogies dropped about same amount.. Empire dropped to 67% from what New Hope did.. Attach of the Clones did about 64% of what Phantom Menace did.. And The Last Jedi did 64% of what The Force Awakens did. Marvel is no different.. Some did awesome breaking records. Some not so much..

bclane

But if that is the "issue" than the park overall would be busy and other rides would have typical (longish) wait times. But the park is significant less crowded than typical and all rides are having decreased waits. That means that guest overall simply aren't going to DL in the numbers one would typically see for this time of year. As has been mentioned numerous times, the AP blackouts play a significant role in this. But it also may be that people who expected it to be crowded due to SW:GE and would have otherwise gone to DLR made other plans.

MF:SR sucking wouldn't cause Peter Pan's Flight to have short waits.
Agreed. Disney created their own perfect storm with the AP blackouts and other crowd control measures they took. Combine that with a lot of people either staying away to avoid the crowdocalypse that everyone anticipated or stayed away to wait for the Battle Escape ride to open. I’ll eat my light saber if we have the same crowd levels at DHS when it opens there.

Notes from Neverland

Meanwhile, back on topic ...
Does it still sound like the mysterious drone project with Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is happening in Orlando? I know @marni1971 has hinted at it still being in the plans, but I'm super curious as it would be something that sets the Orlando version apart from California's version.

drod1985

I’ll eat my light saber if we have the same crowd levels at DHS when it opens there.

I'm with you, and as a result I'm so jealous of DL GE attendees.

Hopefully TDO ups their merch orders though, because the merch outages they're having at DL are a shame - and a tremendous opportunity loss for DL. They're out of the Rancor tooth flight glasses, all kyber crystals (outside of Savi's) and at least half of the legacy sabers.

bclane

Hopefully TDO ups their merch orders though, because the merch outages they're having at DL are a shame - and a tremendous opportunity loss for DL. They're out of the Rancor tooth flight glasses, all kyber crystals (outside of Savi's) and at least half of the legacy sabers.
Same here. If I could, I'd fly to SoCal right meow. And yeah, the merch issues are stunning. I understand how they underestimated the shoulder banshees demand when they opened Pandora, but this is just crazy. The park has been virtually empty and they are already running out of stuff??? I don't get it.

ImperfectPixie

Same here. If I could, I'd fly to SoCal right meow. And yeah, the merch issues are stunning. I understand how they underestimated the shoulder banshees demand when they opened Pandora, but this is just crazy. The park has been virtually empty and they are already running out of stuff??? I don't get it.
And if you count the horrible mess that is the upgraded magic bands, that's three releases of merchandise that Disney massively underestimated the demand for.

Last edited:

drod1985

The park has been virtually empty and they are already running out of stuff??? I don't get it.

The only way everything at DL makes sense to me is that Disney underestimated demand. They knew exactly how many people they were letting into GE during the reservation period, but they didn't anticipate the amount of merch the average guest would purchase.

As for the rest of DL being empty - it has to be overemphasis on the reservation period or overcompensation by guests who are trying to avoid a crowded park because they aren't interested in GE. Again, because of the merch shortages it doesn't seem to be a lack of interest in GE.

DCLcruiser

If GE was overrun with guests then other guests would hear about it on the news and stay away longer to let it die-down. Long lines and upset guests isn't a good thing. This isn't a traveling circus that has to fill the seats for a long weekend. Disney can advertise their comfortable and controlled process that worked (as planned, even if under expectations), decreased wait times in the rest of the park, and so, potential guests will make plans to go on the weekend. Which is the average DLR guest (plus AP aren't there yet).

Quotes from DPBlog: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...pens-with-out-of-this-world-guest-experience/

"Yesterday’s opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Resort could not have gone more smoothly!"

"The wait in the virtual queue—which allows guests to enjoy other experiences throughout the resort until they enter the land—averaged only an hour and 20 minutes, and boarding passes were not required by late afternoon, after which guests could enter at their leisure."

"Once inside the land, guests waited an average of 45-60 minutes for Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, and wait times elsewhere in the land were minimal. All in, it was an awesome day on Batuu."

ToTBellHop

Disney managers are DEEPLY concerned at low crowds for SWGE. There are numerous fingers being pointed with the consensus that they worked TOO hard to scare people away. The message is set to adjust to “everything is wide open! Come on in!”

DHS will not be as restricted and they will market in earnest. They originally joked that they wouldn’t have to market at all...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom