Wizards give smackdown to droids

flynnibus

Premium Member
Have you been to Galaxy's edge?

Not yet.. but those paying attention will recognize I’m not talking about GE here.

Any by having a higher hight restriction it's less accessible by nature.

Again... accessibility is not one single dimension. Mission space only has a 44” requirement... yet many many many adults won’t ride it due to their fear or intolerance to the ride dynamics. FJ is similar... it’s not just the height requirement that keeps people off, or keeps them from repeat rides.

Spinning, g forces, motion sickness, fear of heights, ride vehicle dimensions, darkness, violent movements.... all examples of things that limit who can/will experience attractions. Height requirements really only filter children. Everything else tends to filter adults.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The armchair imagineering when you haven’t even seen it in person... it’s like saying soarin is weak because you start off in a warehouse... and there is no leadup in the queue.... so it must be subpar.

Where as those that have actually ridden soarin know....

F3723632-32C0-4C65-8D93-463A06227D42.jpeg

The presentation and experience overcome those details.

the_rich

The title of this thread is comparing the two. If you want to talk about Soarin, that has issues as well. It's one of my favorite rides but unless your sitting in the center then there is warping. The theming of the ride isn't great either. Especially when you see how the one in DCA is themed. Both of those things take away some of the enjoyability of the ride. When you're talking about a game changer the small things matter. Painting a warehouse that you pass right by with trees is an issue. So are props that look plastic or subpar. Something like FOP and MF:SR have everything you talk about plus all the small things to tie it together into a superior experience.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Something like FOP and MF:SR have everything you talk about plus all the small things to tie it together into a superior experience.

Maybe on a report card trying to grade elements side by side.... but at the end of the day here this is an entertainment product. And what matters is how the pieces work together to support the end game. That’s why I mentioned soarin as an analogy. It’s flawed in MANY ways... but it doesn’t matter because the sum delivers.

Guests would not get off soarin’ and go... “well, it could have been fun if...”

And it’s the sum of hagrids that matters. And while it may lack a shaman AA... or a life sized spaceport around it... no one that gets off the ride cares. And that’s what you want to focus on as a designer. Invest in what advances the goal... not a checklist so you can say you did a,b,and c so it should be great.

That’s exactly what Disney did with New Fantasyland... they spent so much energy and resources focusing on their theming and detail... they left out the soul and entertainment portions. On a checklist it’s fantastic!!! On the guest experience level it’s good but not so memorable.... and certainly not on par for what they put in.

Much like space mountain doesn’t really convince you that you are in space... it doesn’t have to for the theming to play it’s role.

When you ride the attraction... you’ll get it

Stripes

The tron coaster is the one that is going to feel hagrids might. It’s gonna get lambasted for its ride experience after the locals all do hagrids.
Don't tell Alvey that.

FWIW, I think Guardians will definitely be the superior of the two coasters arriving in 2021. Tron also isn't a "story coaster." Guardians and Hagrid are.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The difference to me is that Disney is building coaster attractions like 7DMT and Slinky Dog as the headliner attractions of the new lands. Hagrids is just an addition to an already existing land, and while I have not experienced Hagrids yet, it looks like it puts 7DMT and SDD to shame judging by the POV videos and reviews.

Not saying 7DMT and SDD are bad attractions. But everything they both have, Hagrids has more of, and even a few elements that SDD or 7DMT lack. And UNI completed its construction in the amount of time it takes Disney to clear land for an attraction (sarcasm). But it was built quickly.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't tell Alvey that.
View attachment 381927

FWIW, I think Guardians will definitely be the superior of the two coasters arriving in 2021. Tron also isn't a "story coaster." Guardians and Hagrid are.

Fly by it too fast? That makes no sense for Hagrid's... everything that isn't scenery or decaying castle you slow down to pass. Fluffy is the only one you pass at even 'some' speed. And I think it's an appropriate mix unless they were doing some sort of 'sneak by'. But Fluffy is not super detailed or articulated.. so you don't want to linger either.

The rest of his critique is about 'the supporting cast' of the theming of the area around the coaster. And yes, it's not BTMRR... but there is more than one way to skin a cat as they say. I don't think trying to achieve 'realism' is the only way to approach theming or attraction design.

He even put the actual coaster experience BEHIND the queue/load area as importance? That ain't right... We all already know TRON's strengths and weaknesses. We don't need another Navi River Journey situation...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
NOT EVEN CLOSE, BUD!

I'm not sure what all this Star Wars hype and game changing talk is all about. Universal's Potter in Orlando is still is the one to beat in the industry.

35+ acres vs 14 of highly immersive placesetting.

4 E ticketish/ super headining rides and 1 lower tiered ride vs 2 headliners.

Hagrid opened and it's beyond a phenomenal experience.......best ride on US soil, I say. We'll see about Rise of Resistance but for now Magical Creatures is the supreme attraction and Harry easily holds the crown
When did you get back from California? When did they start running previews of a ride that isn’t finished yet? Oh, wait...your opinion is based on a land and rides you’ve never seen or ridden. That makes a lot of sense. Your argument on ride count is just plain foolish. By that metric alone Toy Story Land is 3Xs as good as Diagon Alley. There will be plenty of time to compare SW to Potter. I’m gonna wait until SW is actually open and I’ve experienced it, but you do you bud;)

Snake

I agree with galaxy edge being too small, plus not being based on the classic trilogy locations. Hopefully they add more lands/planets at a later date based on the originally trilogy a la diagon alley, they at least have room in Hollywood studios. Tatoine, w/ mose eisly, real cantina w/ full menu, jabba's palace, Hoth based attraction. They need a planet darth vader can be appearing in. I remember when disney used to wow an amaze with new over the top attractions, nowadays i could come up with better stuff myself.

the_rich

A) They aren't going to build on the original trilogy. The whole idea is you are making your own new adventure.
B) It's plenty big already, have you been to California?
C) This is the most immersive land I have ever been too. To say this doesn't wow is foolish, especially if you haven't been there as I suspect.

Snake

I wasnt impressed with avatarland, an no im not impressed with GE. Like i was saying when my ideas beat the imagineers, you have wonder what went wrong, Iger being too cheap? HP is more impressive an im not a fan, im big star wars fan though. The last disney attraction that blew my mind was toy story midway mania. That was a loong time ago.

the_rich

Have you actually been there? If toy story mania blew your mind then I can't see how you have better ideas. How is building an existing planet or location more impressive than an original idea? Pandora was very impressive and GE takes it to another level. I mean if you think TSM is the most impressive thing they've done then I can't take your criticism seriously.

Raineman

Have you actually been there? If toy story mania blew your mind then I can't see how you have better ideas. How is building an existing planet or location more impressive than an original idea? Pandora was very impressive and GE takes it to another level. I mean if you think TSM is the most impressive thing they've done then I can't take your criticism seriously.
Judging new Disney attractions/lands/parks based only on pictures and videos seem to be a common thing on this forum. A video will never convey the same experience that visiting and experiencing the new addition does, but unfortunately, there are people who love to express their immediate "hot take" based on limited information.

Tom Morrow

Hagrid's is an extremely fun ride. In fact it's probably the most fun and exhilarating ride at Universal. Videos really don't do it justice.. But, it does fall short somewhat on the theming/immersion/show side. There are clear signs of budget cuts and lots of visible infrastructure. You will not see anything like that at all in SWGE and we know this for a fact because people have been to it.

I can't see how any fan of theme parks and not brands could look at SWGE and say "yeah that's going to be crap!" Seriously, take off the fanboy goggles.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom