2019 Box Office tracking

jt04

Aladdin jumped worldwide this weekend and looks to hold strong until TS4. Will become 2nd highest grossing musical in less than its second week. Very impressive.

seascape

Disney is now well past the 5 billion dollat worldwide gross for 2019. According to dateline through Sunday Disney is at 5.147 Billion. Counting Fox they are at 6.125 Billion. Not bad for June 2.

Last edited:

Darkprime

Avengers EndGame passed 2.7 billion. I still think its 40/60 whether it passes Avatar. Hopefully Disney give it another marketing push when Far From Home comes out.

seascape

Avengers EndGame passed 2.7 billion. I still think its 40/60 whether it passes Avatar. Hopefully Disney give it another marketing push when Far From Home comes out.
I had nothing better to do today than see it one more time. I love AMC's Alist. Disney gets more from AMC and I still only pay 23.99 plus tax a month. If everyone one the Alist went one more time it could make it. I still have major doubts that it has enough legs to beat Avatar but I may see it one more time.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Big weekend coming up with last of the Fox produced X-Men movies. The reviews for Dark Phoenix don't seem very promising unfortunately. Up against Secret Life of Pets sequel, that claimed over 100m on the first's opening weekend, I fear it's unlikely to hit #1 with even a better track record.

While I don't expect Secret Life of Pets 2 to repeat on a 100m without the peek Summer and no competition it had last time it's still likely to over preform the 45-55m Dark Phoenix is expecting.

This past weekend seemed fairly soft for all of the new releases. All three came in at the low end or below their projected estimations. Aladdin, on the other hand, came in right in the middle of projection.

Tony Perkis

Big weekend coming up with last of the Fox produced X-Men movies. The reviews for Dark Phoenix don't seem very promising unfortunately. Up against Secret Life of Pets sequel, that claimed over 100m on the first's opening weekend, I fear it's unlikely to hit #1 with even a better track record.

While I don't expect Secret Life of Pets 2 to repeat on a 100m without the peek Summer and no competition it had last time it's still likely to over preform the 45-55m Dark Phoenix is expecting.

This past weekend seemed fairly soft for all of the new releases. All three came in at the low end or below their projected estimations. Aladdin, on the other hand, came in right in the middle of projection.
Rocketman deserved a better opening.

I understand the R rating kept some people away, and that Elton John, while huge, doesn’t have the same transcending generation appeal as Queen, but a film that took as many creative risks as it did while sticking the landing should have been more widely rewarded.

seascape

Rocketman deserved a better opening.

I understand the R rating kept some people away, and that Elton John, while huge, doesn’t have the same transcending generation appeal as Queen, but a film that took as many creative risks as it did while sticking the landing should have been more widely rewarded.
I agree.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
With the Friday estimates in ... it looks fairly grim for Dark Phoenix. To be honest I think even Pets 2 is under preforming, bringing in less than half of the first's opening day. With as much marketing and general awareness of Pets 2 it's low end take is a bit surprising. Both are now estimated to bring even less than the low end estimations. Perhaps it's just going to be a soft weekend.

The sophomore weekend for Godzilla seems about as bad with an over 78% drop from their last Friday take. Aladdin seems to be the only one that's coasting along on expected drops and looks like it will pull ahead of last weeks releases to take #3 for the weekend.

Ripken10

With the Friday estimates in ... it looks fairly grim for Dark Phoenix. To be honest I think even Pets 2 is under preforming, bringing in less than half of the first's opening day. With as much marketing and general awareness of Pets 2 it's low end take is a bit surprising. Both are now estimated to bring even less than the low end estimations. Perhaps it's just going to be a soft weekend.

The sophomore weekend for Godzilla seems about as bad with an over 78% drop from their last Friday take. Aladdin seems to be the only one that's coasting along on expected drops and looks like it will pull ahead of last weeks releases to take #3 for the weekend.
Can it be considered a soft weekend when it is out performing last year by so much? I personally think it is just too crowded of a market for all the movies to hit the marks they would expect otherwise. Aladdin, Rocketman, John Wick 3 and Avengers all dropping around 45% or less for the weekend all in the top 8. I could see the trend continuing next weekend with Men in Black coming out into that same crowded market.

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Dark Phoenix was bad and it should feel bad, very disappointing end to the FOX X-Men.
All things considered, it's a shame that it's ending like this. I'm not even an X-Men person, but I know how vital the success the franchise was to the creation of Marvel Studios and just as the proving ground for what an ensemble superhero movie could be. Not being particularly up on the last stretch of the series (the last one I saw was First Class) all the noise I've heard is it's been down hill for the main story line since then.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
All things considered, it's a shame that it's ending like this. I'm not even an X-Men person, but I know how vital the success the franchise was to the creation of Marvel Studios and just as the proving ground for what an ensemble superhero movie could be. Not being particularly up on the last stretch of the series (the last one I saw was First Class) all the noise I've heard is it's been down hill for the main story line since then.

It's not even ending for Fox/Marvel yet. The New Mutants was moved (again) to April 3, 2020.

What's the odds this quietly shows up on Hulu?

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Can it be considered a soft weekend when it is out performing last year by so much? I personally think it is just too crowded of a market for all the movies to hit the marks they would expect otherwise. Aladdin, Rocketman, John Wick 3 and Avengers all dropping around 45% or less for the weekend all in the top 8. I could see the trend continuing next weekend with Men in Black coming out into that same crowded market.
While over all the weekend will over-preform last year (and years prior too), collectively the younger movies are softer than other similar slates at this time of year and age of run. 2018 was a particularly soft year in comparison to it's prior year. With the bad run of Solo and no new family friendly releases that weekend it was a nearly 25m lower than 2017 ... which itself only had a single major player in The Mummy and that was the movie that killed a universe.

Historically this particular week can be soft, yet with the kind of movies that are having their 1st & 2nd weekend that should have been a better boost. It could be market crowding, there have been more crowded similar spots in the past few years and that can depress some movies but typically not across the board. That normally effects movies that are on their 3rd+ weekend, but like you said the movies in that range seem to be preforming mostly normally.

Ripken10

It's not even ending for Fox/Marvel yet. The New Mutants was moved (again) to April 3, 2020.

What's the odds this quietly shows up on Hulu?
Could be wrong here, but from what I had heard Disney was already doing adjustments on this movie. I can't remember where I read it, but some speculated (take with a grain of salt) that perhaps Marvel was perhaps going to roll this into the current universe or be the way it first introduces them into the Marvel Universe. We may get more concrete info at comicon...or not. I would think that if it does not get incorporated in some way, then Disney would have reasons not to see it hit the theatrical window.

Ripken10

While over all the weekend will over-preform last year (and years prior too), collectively the younger movies are softer than other similar slates at this time of year and age of run. 2018 was a particularly soft year in comparison to it's prior year. With the bad run of Solo and no new family friendly releases that weekend it was a nearly 25m lower than 2017 ... which itself only had a single major player in The Mummy and that was the movie that killed a universe.

Historically this particular week can be soft, yet with the kind of movies that are having their 1st & 2nd weekend that should have been a better boost. It could be market crowding, there have been more crowded similar spots in the past few years and that can depress some movies but typically not across the board. That normally effects movies that are on their 3rd+ weekend, but like you said the movies in that range seem to be preforming mostly normally.
Oh I agree to an extent. I think the 2019 box office is struggling more than many realize.

seascape

Oh I agree to an extent. I think the 2019 box office is struggling more than many realize.
After last weekend Universal had already passed their totals through June 2018. Fox has been a disaster down 74.6%. They still have a few movies left but they will not come close to last years $1,227.5 domestic box office without something hitting it out of the park. I still do think the combined Disney Fox will pass last years total combined but that is sll due to Disney's insane total.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So ends Fox's stewardship of Marvel. To put Dark Phoenix in perspective, there were ten Fox/Marvel X-Men films. Five did well. Five did not. Then there were the two Deadpool movies that did very well.

And everything else was garbage. A lot of garbage. Here's the wreckage with a few other studios thrown in (excluding Sony's Spider-Man run)...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom