Aladdin is out drawing Godzilla

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Godzilla isn't outdrawing Aladdin because critics on sites like Rotten Tomatoes have told us it's bad and we shouldn't see it....and people apparently listened to them like sheep.

seascape

Original Poster
Godzilla isn't outdrawing Aladdin because critics on sites like Rotten Tomatoes have told us it's bad and we shouldn't see it....and people apparently listened to them like sheep.
I said I didn't like the promos for it and thought it was not a good movie. I had no interest in seeing it and many people thought the same thing. bIf critics made the difference then many box office successes would have failed and some failures would have succeeded. People m as ke up thrir own minds, just look at Aladdin's box office numbers. The critics did not like it either. The public did.

Darkprime

The reviews certainly dampened my excitement for Godzilla. I liked the 2014 movie enough but had the same complaints as most people. Not enough Godzilla and too much human drama. I do find it funny that now critics are complaining there is too much Godzilla. I'll probably wait until the digital release. I'm going to the movies less and less these days. since films are coming to digital quicker and quicker.

jt04

The critics were pretty harsh towards Aladdin. The general audience has a different opinion.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's Aladdin in comparison to other DS films since Cinderella live action...

And Godzilla:KotM

Tick Tock

I'm just grateful we have these sorts of discussions, and all the lengthy statistical charts to go by. That way, I will know whether I am right or wrong in thinking a movie was good or not.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm just grateful we have these sorts of discussions, and all the lengthy statistical charts to go by. That way, I will know whether I am right or wrong in thinking a movie was good or not.

Oh, you're so clever to figure out that your taste in a movie might differ from others.

But that is precisely why the data is brought up because too often people assume that their like or dislike of a movie is shared by mostly everyone else. And they state categorically "it was an awful film" and will tell you how wrong you are if you disagree. But if the stats that show good reviews from critics and audience and BO success, then that is the data one needs to refute the idea that "everyone hates it." And vice versa.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion and your like and dislikes. You're not entitled to proclaim everyone else agrees with you without the data to back that up.

seascape

Original Poster
While I agree with some of what you said here, I think it's a bit misleading to say movie attendance is going up. It is in fact going down. Despite one of the biggest movies ever, 2019 is still almost 8% behind 2018. That's over 43 million less tickets sold then the same point last year. Prices rise, which is accounting for some annual records over the last couple years, but the actual tickets sold is decreasing faster than the prices can keep up with. See the # of tickets sold over these 4 year intervals:

2015-2018: 5.175 billion
2011-2014: 5.256 billion
2007-2010: 5.497 billion
2003-2006: 5.828 billion
1999-2002: 5.949 billion

But to me the price increase is part of the problem. All these programs aren't stopping the decline in movie attendance, just slowing down the decline.
I think you need to give the Alist program a little more time to see it's real effect. The program is new and I waited until Spring to sign up. With a 23.99 price each month it pays for itself with 2 movies a month. AMC makes monie because the average person we will go to 3 or 4, instead of 1 to 2. If they pay the studios the full monthly fee and just get $15.00 for soda and popcorn for 2 guests they still get $60.00 a month and make a great profit. Given the size of AMC vs Movie Pass, which I never trusted, and other movie theater chains getting into this type program attendance should increase before it starts to decline again. Eventually home theaters will kill the traditional movie theater but content will always be king.

Tick Tock

You're not entitled to proclaim everyone else agrees with you without the data to back that up.
You're preaching to the choir. Believe me. There is a certain Star Wars thread here which is practically unreadable now because of the very mindset you describe.

Eventually home theaters will kill the traditional movie theater
I can see this happening, but hope it doesn't. As Jerry Bruckheimer once discussed when this topic was brought up in an interview, it's all about the experience. Our home kitchens keep getting more equipped and advanced, just like home theaters. Yet people still enjoy going out to restaurants, though more costly than eating in, for the experience.

We can only hope Jerry's remark holds true for the cinema experience in the future, and we'll always have that form of entertainment... going out to the movies.. as an option.

jt04

Aladdin soared past 200 million domestic yesterday and will pass a half billion globally today.

Not bad for two weeks in theaters.

seascape

Original Poster
Yeah.....no. This is a bad take, and it devalues valuable film discussion and criticism.

There absolutely, 100% is such a thing as objectively good and bad filmmaking.
I would like you to google Bosley Crowther if you don't know who he is. He was my Grandfathers first cousin and taught me all about movies. He understood what makes a great movie and a horrible movie. I saw tons movies and listened to everything he had to say about them. He even had a good line about Jaws, which he thought lacked character development. He enjoyed it for what it was but would not call it one of the best. The thing he liked the best was seeing my grandfathers house and all the scenery from Marthas Vineyard.

Tony Perkis

Looks like Aladdin did in the range of 8 Million yesterday. 💰

Everyone is going to this movie.
It did well for the first post school year Monday.

This isn’t exactly tearing up the box office, but it’s doing well. It will 100% not be in Disney’s top 5 of the year, though (Endgame, Toy Story 4, Star Wars IX, Lion King, and Frozen 2 will all gross more).

Here's Aladdin in comparison to other DS films since Cinderella live action...

View attachment 379441

And Godzilla:KotM

View attachment 379444
Some of those CinemaScore ratings are just laughable.

It’s a joke of a rating system.

Tony Perkis

I would like you to google Bosley Crowther if you don't know who he is. He was my Grandfathers first cousin and taught me all about movies. He understood what makes a great movie and a horrible movie. I saw tons movies and listened to everything he had to say about them. He even had a good line about Jaws, which he thought lacked character development. He enjoyed it for what it was but would not call it one of the best. The thing he liked the best was seeing my grandfathers house and all the scenery from Marthas Vineyard.
Nothing in this post invalidates my point. It provided anecdotal evidence that I would have no possible way of confirming.

Enjoying a film is not the same as saying it is a good movie. The correlation typically is pretty strong, unless the person in question is a complete dolt and just goes nuts for the Transformers and FATF films, but they aren’t intrinsically connected. It’s very possible, and very common, to hate a good movie and like a bad movie.

The Room is one of the worst films ever made. So is Plan 9 from Outer Space. I love those movies.

Frozen is a well made film with catchy songs, and an solid story. I still hate the movie, but I 100% acknowledge it as a good movie.

Additionally, your comment doesn’t even begin to touch on genre preferences. A lot of people vehemently hate musicals, and the one they saw (let’s go with La La Land, for example), they may have thought sucked. That doesn’t make it a bad film.

There’s a lot more to film discussion than good or bad, and trying to reduce filmmaking criticism to simply “to each his own” does an incredible disservice to more nuanced reasoning and critical thinking.

seascape

Original Poster
Nothing in this post invalidates my point. It provided anecdotal evidence that I would have no possible way of confirming.

Enjoying a film is not the same as saying it is a good movie. The correlation typically is pretty strong, unless the person in question is a complete dolt and just goes nuts for the Transformers and FATF films, but they aren’t intrinsically connected. It’s very possible, and very common, to hate a good movie and like a bad movie.

The Room is one of the worst films ever made. So is Plan 9 from Outer Space. I love those movies.

Frozen is a well made film with catchy songs, and an solid story. I still hate the movie, but I 100% acknowledge it as a good movie.

Additionally, your comment doesn’t even begin to touch on genre preferences. A lot of people vehemently hate musicals, and the one they saw (let’s go with La La Land, for example), they may have thought sucked. That doesn’t make it a bad film.

There’s a lot more to film discussion than good or bad, and trying to reduce filmmaking criticism to simply “to each his own” does an incredible disservice to more nuanced reasoning and critical thinking.
Most movies today are not well made. Blockbusters rely too much on special leffects and not enough on a good story or acting. The key difference with the MCU is character development over multiple movies. It is the culmination of all the movies that make Endgame a good movie because alone it is not. Alone it is a terrible movie with nothing but action and special effects, no one would know what is happening if this was their first and only MCU movie. There is a difference between a good movie and a great one. Sir David Lean omly made great movies. He told great stories and developed the characters. I think we agree more than we disagree because I was taught what makes a great movie is different than what makes a good movie. Jaws was a good movie and my favorite of all time for personal reasons but no one can call it a great movie. It made a fortune and entertained millions but it is not and never will be a great movie.

Tony Perkis

Most movies today are not well made. Blockbusters rely too much on special leffects and not enough on a good story or acting. The key difference with the MCU is character development over multiple movies. It is the culmination of all the movies that make Endgame a good movie because alone it is not. Alone it is a terrible movie with nothing but action and special effects, no one would know what is happening if this was their first and only MCU movie. There is a difference between a good movie and a great one. Sir David Lean omly made great movies. He told great stories and developed the characters. I think we agree more than we disagree because I was taught what makes a great movie is different than what makes a good movie. Jaws was a good movie and my favorite of all time for personal reasons but no one can call it a great movie. It made a fortune and entertained millions but it is not and never will be a great movie.
I think your point stands if we are just talking about blockbusters, but there a ton of great films every year.

Much more on a low key or independent level.

Disney movies are usually nowhere near my top 10 each year.

Last edited:

jt04

Only an 8% drop on Thursday despite fewer screens and new competition. Setting up for a great third weekend along with Secret Lives of Pets.

LSLS

Looks like Aladdin did in the range of 8 Million yesterday. 💰

Everyone is going to this movie.

Jesus man. Everyone is going? It's $200 million behind Captain Marvel domestic. I'm not even saying it's pace is bad or it's not doing well, but you are making this sound like End Game. It won't be anywhere near top 5 at the end of the year. It's doing fine. Lets not go nuts with the exaggerations.

seascape

Original Poster
Jesus man. Everyone is going? It's $200 million behind Captain Marvel domestic. I'm not even saying it's pace is bad or it's not doing well, but you are making this sound like End Game. It won't be anywhere near top 5 at the end of the year. It's doing fine. Lets not go nuts with the exaggerations.
It's already beat Solo. The comparison is not Endgame or Captain Marvel. The most important thing is will Disney's total box office pass last years record in June or July? If it does in June there is better than a 50/50 chance they will pass $4 billion this year not including Fox. Through yesterday they need 582,211,194 more this month to equaly last years yotal through June. Given the presales for Toy Story 4 there is a very high percentage of passing the June record of $2,241,412,239.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom