Aladdin is out drawing Godzilla

seascape

Original Poster
Aladdin has topped Godzilla everyday with the exception of Friday night. Friday night was only a win by Godzilla because of the Thursday night previews. Disney has to be thrilled with Aladdin's huge box office numbers and WB has to be extremely disappointed with Godzilla's underperformance.

jt04

Aladdin has topped Godzilla everyday with the exception of Friday night. Friday night was only a win by Godzilla because of the Thursday night previews. Disney has to be thrilled with Aladdin's huge box office numbers and WB has to be extremely disappointed with Godzilla's underperformance.

Not just Godzilla but every other movie. Looks to dominate the week as more schools let out for the year and the true summer movie season begins.

It is in the realm of possibility Aladdin could pass 300 Million in North America.

Disney's on a roll.

PiXie Mom

Not just Godzilla but every other movie. Looks to dominate the week as more schools let out for the year and the true summer movie season begins.

It is in the realm of possibility Aladdin could pass 300 Million in North America.

Disney's on a roll.
It appears the Positivity Trolls have given up invading ongoing threads and are now starting threads of their own to spread their rose colored agenda. Can Sirwalt, MisterPenguin, or MikeS step in to the rescue and level this thing out?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IMHO, it looks like Aladdin will have more staying power.

Godzilla (2019)
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:
$51,628,389
28.4%
+ Foreign:
$130,000,000​
71.6%​
= Worldwide:
$181,628,389
Domestic Summary
$47,776,293
(#1 rank, 4,108 theaters, $11,630 average)​
% of Total Gross:​
92.5%

Aladdin (2019)

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:
$190,237,136
41.9%
+ Foreign:
$264,312,359​
58.1%​
= Worldwide:
$454,549,495
Domestic Summary
$91,500,929
(#1 rank, 4,476 theaters, $20,443 average)​
% of Total Gross:​
48.1%
Widest Release: 4,476 theaters
In Release: 11 days / 1.6 weeks

Fable McCloud

But it was soooooo bland. Aladdin was just "meh" as far as I'm concerned. I think that the animated is still a masterpiece, but in a few years everyone's going to forget about this, just like they did with Cinderella.

Granted, this is just an opinion. If you loved it, liked it, etc. then that's awesome. I just think I'm personally over this whole "live action remake" garbage. Heck, I didn't even really like it when they did 101 Dalmations (except for all the shots of the puppies). The Lion King is frustrating to me because you can't even call it "live action". It's just CG with more realism, new voices, less whimsy, and frankly it has little appeal to me. Again, opinions. You like what you like, I'll never fault people who like these things.

Give me something new. Make a movie out of the Figment comic series, or the Museum of the Weird series. Turn the story of Thunder Mesa/Phantom Manor/Melanie Ravenswood into a film. Adapt some books that exist that aren't movies. Make a movie about the Tiki Room birds, just leave the animated movies as they are.

Except the Black Cauldron. That series deserves a better adaptation than what Disney did in the 80's.

Weather_Lady

Off-topic, but I have to say that I was one of the many who saw the previews for Aladdin and was totally turned-off. My family still ended up going to see it, and we were unexpectedly entertained by it -- I thought it was a competent update in which all that was added (oh look, female characters that talk and do things and have minds and feelings and stuff! plus, dancing!) made the story better and richer, all that was different (e.g., Will Smith instead of Robin Williams, the use of a new framing device for the story) was done well-enough that I could appreciate the change, and the things I had the biggest problems with in the preview (styled like a cheesy teenybopper movie, cast wasn't "Arabian" enough) weren't as bad as I thought, or were easily explained in the opening sequence (e.g., the lyrics about how Agrabah is a cultural milieu). Also, although I probably watched the animated version 100 times as a kid, it probably helped that I hadn't watched it in 20+ years, so I wasn't bored by the fact that it was a remake.

Maybe if the previews had been better, our expectations would have been set too high and we'd have been disappointed instead of happily surprised. ;) I'm not one of those who thinks that every Disney film (or even most of them) are winners, but if Aladdin turns out to be a financial success, I think it is deserved.

Last edited:

seascape

Original Poster
Aladdin still needs to make another $100m worldwide just to break even in its theatrical window.
It will get that $100 million easily and worldwide gross will be over $600 milllion. It was not a great movie but was enjoyable and entertaining. BTW, because of programs like AMCs Alist movie attendance is going up. In fact Disney and other studios will get almost all the 23.99 AMC charges and maybe more but AMC will make more monie overall with their popcorn and soda sales. Thanks to this program I saw Endgame 3 times, Aladdin twice and even saw Penguins twice.

Ripken10

It will get that $100 million easily and worldwide gross will be over $600 milllion. It was not a great movie but was enjoyable and entertaining. BTW, because of programs like AMCs Alist movie attendance is going up. In fact Disney and other studios will get almost all the 23.99 AMC charges and maybe more but AMC will make more monie overall with their popcorn and soda sales. Thanks to this program I saw Endgame 3 times, Aladdin twice and even saw Penguins twice.
While I agree with some of what you said here, I think it's a bit misleading to say movie attendance is going up. It is in fact going down. Despite one of the biggest movies ever, 2019 is still almost 8% behind 2018. That's over 43 million less tickets sold then the same point last year. Prices rise, which is accounting for some annual records over the last couple years, but the actual tickets sold is decreasing faster than the prices can keep up with. See the # of tickets sold over these 4 year intervals:

2015-2018: 5.175 billion
2011-2014: 5.256 billion
2007-2010: 5.497 billion
2003-2006: 5.828 billion
1999-2002: 5.949 billion

But to me the price increase is part of the problem. All these programs aren't stopping the decline in movie attendance, just slowing down the decline.

gerarar

Premium Member
Kinda off-topic, but I saw Aladdin again last night. Didn't purchase my ticket in advance, but to my surprise the theater was packed! I only had 2 seats left to pick from when I arrived 10mins before the 10pm showing.

But I really enjoyed it (more) the second time around. Idk, but Cinderella and BatB didn't have the driving force for me to go out to see it a second time in theaters (or even on Netflix or something lol).

I looked around during various parts of the movie and saw everyone smiling and laughing, which I can't blame em for.

This 'remake' deserves everything it's getting! It's a really well done film that takes pages from the original, but adds its own flavor. In my opinion of course 😉

Last edited:

Ripken10

We've been through this before with other movies where the generally accepted ballpark calculation of the profitability of movies in their theatrical window is dismissed by you. You are invincibly ignorant, so, not wasting my time.
Your formula is great and all, but it is outdated and not a complete story (for instance, like many have pointed out, the WDC gets a larger portion of the profit. Another example is the licensing of products sold in the theaters that is not factored in). Another example of how, while your formula can give a very rough idea of how profitable a movie MIGHT be, it is still outdated is how they deal with movie prescriptions. Movie prescriptions favor the studios. Most of the ticket price for a movie attended by someone with a movie prescription go to the studio while the theaters rely on concessions for their profits there.

I love the idea of what you are doing, don't get me wrong, but it really isn't accurate to say a movie isn't profitable just by putting it into that old formula. It just gives you a rough idea of what the average movie MIGHT be making for the studio.

Sorry, I wanted to keep my mouth shut, but the way you make it sound so absolute for the formula always catches me. There is way more movies that are profitable then what that formula says there is.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Your formula is great and all, but it is outdated and not a complete story (for instance, like many have pointed out, the WDC gets a larger portion of the profit. Another example is the licensing of products sold in the theaters that is not factored in). Another example of how, while your formula can give a very rough idea of how profitable a movie MIGHT be, it is still outdated is how they deal with movie prescriptions. Movie prescriptions favor the studios. Most of the ticket price for a movie attended by someone with a movie prescription go to the studio while the theaters rely on concessions for their profits there.

I love the idea of what you are doing, don't get me wrong, but it really isn't accurate to say a movie isn't profitable just by putting it into that old formula. It just gives you a rough idea of what the average movie MIGHT be making for the studio.

Sorry, I wanted to keep my mouth shut, but the way you make it sound so absolute for the formula always catches me. There is way more movies that are profitable then what that formula says there is.

Absolute? I keep saying "ballpark."

Licensing and products? I keep saying, "theatrical window" to specify what I'm talking about. I've often mention how a break-even movie can be profitable in the post-theatrical window.

Outdated formula because WDW gets a larger portion? Are you factoring in the less than 50% BO sharing it gets overseas?

I did my research. You do yours and show your work if you think it's off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom