News Bird attack at Disney World leaves woman with traumatic brain injury

Chi84

Premium Member
How come people are not just honest and practical. Yes there are birds all over theme parks throughout the USA and just not Disney. This could have happened anywhere. Honestly if it would have been me. i would have asked for Disney to help pay for any cost due to injuries that are not covered by insurance. No we can't do that anymore. Now we have to sue. My wife hat a small mishap down the Shore on the boardwalk, She tripped and fell and had to have a staple in here head to repair the gash. We told the store that we did not intend to sew and politely asked if they would cover any expense that is not covered by insurance. The business told us yes without one argument and asked us to send a copy of the bill that was not covered. It was that simple and easy. Accidents happen, it just comes down to doing the practical thing. Sewing is only called for when you nicely tried to ask and speak with a bussiness or owner or person and you are either treated badly or not given the time of day. I am quite shore WDW would do the right thing and step up to help to try and avoid a law suite for a small matter. This case seems a little hokey and major issues for $15,000. Sounds like some one wants another free vacation and paying of the lawyer.
The $15,000 is a jurisdictional amount set by the court, not what the woman is asking for in damages. I'm sure she will be asking for much, much more than $15,000.

Coolbert

Follow-Up: Disney has found the bird responsible and has incarcerated him.

ninjaprincesst

How come people are not just honest and practical. Yes there are birds all over theme parks throughout the USA and just not Disney. This could have happened anywhere. Honestly if it would have been me. i would have asked for Disney to help pay for any cost due to injuries that are not covered by insurance. No we can't do that anymore. Now we have to sue. My wife hat a small mishap down the Shore on the boardwalk, She tripped and fell and had to have a staple in here head to repair the gash. We told the store that we did not intend to sew and politely asked if they would cover any expense that is not covered by insurance. The business told us yes without one argument and asked us to send a copy of the bill that was not covered. It was that simple and easy. Accidents happen, it just comes down to doing the practical thing. Sewing is only called for when you nicely tried to ask and speak with a bussiness or owner or person and you are either treated badly or not given the time of day. I am quite shore WDW would do the right thing and step up to help to try and avoid a law suite for a small matter. This case seems a little hokey and major issues for $15,000. Sounds like some one wants another free vacation and paying of the lawyer.
I don't see how Disney should have to pay anything, a wild bird is a wild bird there is nothing they can do about a wild bird why should they pay for any medical cost, just because she happened to be at Disney? SHe could have just as easily been at her home.

KrazyKat

Some bird took a dump on my car this morning. Seriously, while I feel bad that this happened to this woman (if true), the fact is birds are EVERYWHERE and Disney should not be held responsible for this. Some people expect their visits to WDW to be perfect, but the reality is things can happen, such is life. I've had my fair share of "bad experiences" there (mostly with other annoying idiot guests).

Remember when Fabio got hit by a bird while riding a roller coaster somewhere?
1459283603-fabio-goose-busch-gardens.jpg

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
"It accuses Disney of failing to properly warn visitors of the dangers seasonal nesting birds pose, among other allegations." So if Disney had a sign up the bird wouldn't have attacked? What would she have done differently to avoid this "attack"? And what other allegations? I'd like to know that.
It's the reason you have warning labels on coffee cups. It's a typical slip and fall type assertion that Disney failed to take sufficient precautions to alert guests.

Sir_Cliff

Some bird took a dump on my car this morning. Seriously, while I feel bad that this happened to this woman (if true), the fact is birds are EVERYWHERE and Disney should not be held responsible for this. Some people expect their visits to WDW to be perfect, but the reality is things can happen, such is life. I've had my fair share of "bad experiences" there (mostly with other annoying idiot guests).
Particularly considering she lives down the road, it seems strange to imagine this guest out of everyone was clueless about the birdlife of Central Florida.

It seems these days if you're on someone else's property and something bad happens to you, the first reaction is to see how much money you can get out of them. I'm sure Disney deals with plenty of lawsuits from people who trip over, too.

Remember when Fabio got hit by a bird while riding a roller coaster somewhere?
View attachment 377347
That's a great photo mostly because the person next to him looks like she finds it hilarious!

Patcheslee

May: so nesting season. I don't know bird types, but aren't most aggressive and territorial during that time? The lady is from the area so how can she say a warning was needed when it could have happened at her home as well.

Tom P.

It's the reason you have warning labels on coffee cups. It's a typical slip and fall type assertion that Disney failed to take sufficient precautions to alert guests.
Yes, but if you alert people that the contents of a cup of coffee are hot, they can put it somewhere that it won't spill on them. If you alert them that a floor is wet, they can avoid that area so that they don't slip.

If Disney had signs up warning that some birds in Florida can attack people, what is the reasonable precaution people would take? Not go outside? What benefit would the signs provide? In short, the claim is ludicrous on its face.

mf1972

about 12-13 years ago, i had a bird swoop down on me & grabbed some McDonald fries from me when MK still sold them in frontierland. took me by surprise, had a few laughs with everyone around me, got another order of fries from the CM, no lawyer or lawsuit needed.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Yes, but if you alert people that the contents of a cup of coffee are hot, they can put it somewhere that it won't spill on them. If you alert them that a floor is wet, they can avoid that area so that they don't slip.

If Disney had signs up warning that some birds in Florida can attack people, what is the reasonable precaution people would take? Not go outside? What benefit would the signs provide? In short, the claim is ludicrous on its face.
Oh I agree, and it's the reason why the civil court system is full of these cases. I'm not discounting the voracity of the woman's suit, and she appears to be severely injured as a result. But it's very similar to the tragic alligator incident at the Grand Floridian a couple of years ago. Disney chose to settle it very quickly and immediately warning signs went up. Will the sign prevent another animal attack, of course not, but it does allow Disney to counter that they did take adequate and reasonable precautions to warn guests. Similarly another poster made a comparison to warning about lightning strikes. Disney does not warn guest explicitly over lighting but does take sufficient steps to ensure guest safety to minimize their exposure. Things like active/passive lighting protection systems, warning systems, and documented procedures for dealing with lighting (even if the guest is unaware of their existence) shield them from any sort of culpability, provided there wasn't any negligence on Disney's part.

FigmentFreak

Coming soon - release waivers to be signed before you can enter a Disney Park.
I'm thinking along the lines of the ones you sign before having surgery listing everything that could go wrong up to and including death.

By entering DisneyWorld you hereby acknowledge that the following could happen to you:
Maiming by stroller or ECV strike, stomach distending from cupcakes, rotisserie type overheating in a Gondola, eye poked out by Star Wars fantatic with a lightsaber, etc, etc, etc any of which could result your untimely death.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom