"Aladdin" live action movie remake

mf1972

we saw it last night. my wife liked it. i thought it was just ok. i didn’t care for jasmine’s solo song. it all just felt out of place. i didn’t expect it to be as good as the original, but it’s ok for what it offered.
i would say it’s an improvement over the recent dumbo movie.

BrianLo

So far the word of mouth has been very mediocre for Aladdin in my circles. I haven't talked to anyone who says it's great but I also don't see people hating it. It seems to be landing right where I thought.

I guess my expectation was that the movie would actually be ‘bad’. So it’s all relative to the pre-opening commentary.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's how Aladdin's doing compared to Disney Studios' movies since the Cinderella live remake...

GhostlyGoofy

Just saw it. I liked it. they did a great job on production design. Will Smith won me over. Was not expecting much from the previews. There was a fun wink to the animated genie and even magic kingdom.

My critique: It expanded some details, yet it rushed others. Basically hoping you remember the plot from the 92 film enough to play catch up.

Tony Perkis

I read in more than one place the claim that Disney movies released on Memorial Day were doomed. It is and soon was an internet trope. Since you got that so wrong I didn't waste anytime continuing taking your response as a serious discussion..
I actually want to expand on this, because you very commonly did this in the General Politics thread.

You claim to read stories and reports, and then never reveal where you read them. Do you just make up narratives? Because if you don’t provide substantiating citation to validate your information, it’s very accurate to assume you’re making things up.

Last edited:

Tick Tock

Just saw it. I liked it. they did a great job on production design. Will Smith won me over. Was not expecting much from the previews. There was a fun wink to the animated genie and even magic kingdom.
I also caught a little vibe from the Will Smith movie Hitch once or twice when he was playing hookup for Ali and Jasmine. It may not have been intentional, but it was there.

gerarar

Premium Member
Saw Aladdin tonight with my whole family. And we all loved it! My biggest worry going into it was Jafar, but I was proven wrong imho.

I really liked the new Genie plot with his family in the beginning; tied it well in the end. Gave actually good reason for Jasmine's new friend.

Will as Genie held his ground and made it his own, which I very much appreciated.

Naomi and Mena have great chemistry! The movie did seem to set up for a possible sequel, with Jafar saying he will return!, so we'll see.

I really wished they used the instrumental music for A Whole New World that we heard in the first trailer with the thunderous score; but I kinda expected that to just be for trailer-purposes-only. Wished there was some kind of reprise of the song at the end when they wedded.

Overall my favorite Disney live-action to date! Will probably see it again sometime soon.

jt04

I actually want to expand on this, because you very commonly did this in the General Politics thread.

You claim to read stories and reports, and then never reveal where you read them. Do you just make up narratives? Because if you don’t provide substantiating citation to validate your information, it’s very accurate to assume you’re making things up.

If you demand footnotes and links it will cost you. 💵💲💳💰💴💶💷💸💹

(PS - just kidding mods.)

Tony Perkis

She mentions many of the claims here. They're easy to find on any movie forum the last few months.
I do not watch Grace Randolph. My morals don’t allow to me to watch videos from people who lead smear campaigns.

EDIT: Thank you for providing a source, but I don’t find her particularly trustworthy.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Over a quarter billion globally already. Home run.

It's looking good to get around $550m worldwide just to break even in its theatrical window. It'd have to hit around $800m to be called a home run.

For a movie like this, breaking even is good for Disney since they have a lot of opportunity to profit from a movie like this in the post-theatrical windows.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Considering all the predictions of doom it looks like a home run to me. In my opinion.

Depends how you define "home run."

If you mean "critical acclaim", well, that's measurable by tabulating the reviews of critics. In this regard, it struck out.

If you mean "financially successful to a great degree," well that's measurable by BO office receipts compared to expenses. And we don't know that yet. You don't. I don't. The total of it BO is in the future. We don't now if it will break even or go way beyond that point. So, under this definition of "home run", it has yet to be decided.

If you mean "it didn't fail like people said it would," then you don't understand the metaphor of "home run."

If you mean it gives you tickly feel-feels in your tummy... then it's a home run to you. And just you.

seascape

It’ll be profitable. It’s a solid double.

It will crumble under Rocketman and Godzilla next week.
I am looking forward to Rocketman but think Godzilla is to over the top for me. I grew up watching the old Godzilla movies on television but this one looks like it goes to far.

Tony Perkis

Omg I’m so hyped for Godzilla you’ve got no idea!!!!!!!!!!! 😍

Can’t make opening night but I’ve got my IMAX ticket.
You ever see the director’s other films?

Trick or Treat and Krampus are my two favorite horror films in the past decade. I’m so excited for this new one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom