"Aladdin" live action movie remake

Tony Perkis

After robbing us of some of the original comic relief there indeed was an empty slot to fill. She served her purpose.
You know the biggest detriment of the film is? The genie didn’t serve that purpose.

Will Smith wasn’t bad in his non-singing scenes. But you can tell that he was channeling Robin Williams, but never actually making the role his own.

Mike S

You know the biggest detriment of the film is? The genie didn’t serve that purpose.

Will Smith wasn’t bad in his non-singing scenes. But you can tell that he was channeling Robin Williams, but never actually making the role his own.
YES!!

It was always going to be a tough act to follow but this was just not even in the same ballpark. One scene I didn’t mention earlier but will bring up here is how Aladdin tricks Genie for his first wish. Ever since I was a little kid I can’t tell you how many times me or my family quoted Genie’s lines from the cartoon. Here? It’s so freaking bland in comparison and is just a simple “oh you, ya got me 😛

Mike S

Another complaint I have is why remove the villain song? They’re doing it again with Lion King so what’s the deal?

Tony Perkis

YES!!

It was always going to be a tough act to follow but this was just not even in the same ballpark. One scene I didn’t mention earlier but will bring up here is how Aladdin tricks Genie for his first wish. Ever since I was a little kid I can’t tell you how many times me or my family quoted Genie’s lines from the cartoon. Here? It’s so freaking bland in comparison and is just a simple “oh you, ya got me 😛
In the original film, the Genie was clearly a product of Robin Williams’s incredible improvisation.

Here, Will Smith was written to be irreverent.

The difference is night and day.

Tony Perkis

Also, I have to ask because my theatre, at least the adults, was laughing quite a bit.

Did the handmaiden have an incredible dirty joke early in the film?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The audience rating at RT is a surprising 91%, but, there are only 246 reviews. I'm sure that'll change. IMDB's audience when up three points to 69. MetaCritic went down a point to 54.

RT Freshness: 60
RT Critics: 59
RT Audience: 91
IMDB Audience: 69
MetaCritic: 54
CinemaScore: TBD

RT Freshness: 58
RT Critics: 58
RT Audience: 92
IMDB Audience: 72
CinemaScore: A

Critics and the Interneteratti don't like it. Everyone else does.

At the Box Office, it's zooming past all expectations.

Ripken10

I am honestly surprised it did as well as it did yesterday. I haven't seen it, just was thinking it would struggle a little on Friday based on some of the backlash for the original trailer and how many expectations had been lowering. Still a couple days to sort out how well it does this weekend, but I am glad to see it got off to a great start. Almost seems (after one day...still too early) that it is now back on the original trajectory that many sites had for it a few months ago before expectations started to soften.

Tony Perkis

I’ll never understand why people take IMDB and RT user ratings seriously.

They’re notorious for being based on people who have escalated hate or love for the film, often without having seen the film.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I’ll never understand why people take IMDB and RT user ratings seriously.

They’re notorious for being based on people who have escalated hate or love for the film, often without having seen the film.

The IMDB audience rating, while still a non-scientific self-selecting pool, is a tad bit more of a reliable indicator. One reason is that despite RT getting all the press, the IMDB poll can often get ten times the number of people rating the movie. It's not uncommon for IMDB to have the number of ratings in the hundreds of thousands, and sometimes, millions. So, while self-selecting, it does provide a much larger pool that softens the clout of the extremists.

And because RT gets most of the press, when people want to bomb a movie, they tend to focus there rather than IMDB for the public impact of their bombing. And with less user ratings, it's easier for the bombers to move the needle there.

And finally, the IMDB user ratings are usually in line with the CinemaScore, which is a scientifically sampled pool.

The CinemaScore and PostTrack scores for Aladdin are very good. The RT and IMDB scores are in line with that. When they're not, that's when either because the opening night audience was wildly disrepresentative of the general movie-going population, or, the audience ratings were bombed (as was the case for certain other recent Disney properties whose names I shan't mention lest it summon their Ahab and make it the topic of yet another thread).

Mike S

If reports are to be believed, Be Prepared is in the Lion King remake.
Please let it be so. I heard other people say it wasn’t.

You don’t need to resort to name calling. It’s a sign of someone not having any good points to make which I’m sure isn’t you.

Tony Perkis

The IMDB audience rating, while still a non-scientific self-selecting pool, is a tad bit more of a reliable indicator. One reason is that despite RT getting all the press, the IMDB poll can often get ten times the number of people rating the movie. It's not uncommon for IMDB to have the number of ratings in the hundreds of thousands, and sometimes, millions. So, while self-selecting, it does provide a much larger pool that softens the clout of the extremists.

And because RT gets most of the press, when people want to bomb a movie, they tend to focus there rather than IMDB for the public impact of their bombing. And with less user ratings, it's easier for the bombers to move the needle there.

And finally, the IMDB user ratings are usually in line with the CinemaScore, which is a scientifically sampled pool.

The CinemaScore and PostTrack scores for Aladdin are very good. The RT and IMDB scores are in line with that. When they're not, that's when either because the opening night audience was wildly disrepresentative of the general movie-going population, or, the audience ratings were bombed (as was the case for certain other recent Disney properties whose names I shan't mention lest it summon their Ahab and make it the topic of yet another thread).
Your ignoring a pretty important constant in these studies.

People are dumb.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Expectations were low following the disappointment with Dumbo and the 3 day weekend will likely trail the 3-day earnings of BatB and JB:

Aladdin: $87+ million (forecast)
Jungle Book: $103 million
BatB: $174 million

CinemaScore is also a joke. With the exception of horror movies everything gets and A or B+. Hell, even Dumbo got an A-. :rolleyes:

Did you check your "facts" before posting?

CinemaScore is also a joke. With the exception of horror movies everything gets and A or B+. Hell, even Dumbo got an A-. :rolleyes:

WRT CinemaScore:

So, factually wrong. Also, it shows a lack of understanding of the scores. Whereas you may be used to little difference between and A and an A- on a school test, for each level down on CinemaScore, there is a huge impact on approval and expected earnings.

So, yes, their range of scores is way too tight and doesn't reflect general usage of those letter grades, but those in the biz understand their import. For example, a score of A+ indicates, on average, the movie will make 4.8 times its opening weekend. But a plain A is just 3.6 times. That's a significant drop off. An A- is "mostly good." Any B score is "mixed reviews." And C and below is the kiss of death.

For example, the generally panned Nutcracker at4R got a B+. Ouch.

Since the score is based on opening night audience, it is skewed to be more favorable since the opening night audience is presumably eager for what they've come to see. That's why anything less than top scores is damning.

BTW, the horror movie Get Out got an A-.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Please let it be so. I heard other people say it wasn’t.

You don’t need to resort to name calling. It’s a sign of someone not having any good points to make which I’m sure isn’t you.

I'm sorry, "a certain crowd on the internet that engaged in echo chamber group think psyching themselves up to hate the movie."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom