"Aladdin" live action movie remake

Mike S

I'm sorry, "a certain crowd on the internet that engaged in echo chamber group think psyching themselves up to hate the movie."
Yes. Because it’s impossible to not like a movie. No one ever can base their opinion on if they’ll like it or not based on trailers and prerelease material because that’s obviously not what those things exist for. They exist for hype and getting all of us simple minded consumers in seats and if you’re not hyped there’s something wrong with you and you’re a party pooper. Never mind if we still payed to see the movie to 100% confirm if our judgements were correct or not.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Using a single example to establish something as the rule, as opposed to the exception, is largely unhelpful.

Which you did by using Get Out as a way to discount Animaniacs post.

A Quiet Place: B+
Aliens: A
Silence of the Lambs: A-
Halloween 2018: B+
Halloween Resurrection: B+

But in the end, I explained why certain scores don't meet expectations. If an audience that wants to see a horror film show up opening weekend and then don't give it good reviews and say they wouldn't recommend it to friends, that speaks to the general quality of horror films, namely, the people who like the genre don't give the horror movie they just saw a good review. There is not a problem in the methodology because someone thinks there should be more horror films with high CinemaScores. Good horror films are just not abundant.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yes. Because it’s impossible to not like a movie. No one ever can base their opinion on if they’ll like it or not based on trailers and prerelease material because that’s obviously not what those things exist for. They exist for hype and if you’re not hyped there’s something wrong with you.

They can not like it. No one is saying they can't. If everyone in the world loved it but you, that's OK.

But to predict the movie will flop based on trailers because they themselves don't like the trailers and then to jump to the internet posting memes making fun of this sure-fire flop... and to do so in such a degree that it makes everyone suddenly drop their expecations of the movie... well, that makes them look... bad. They went out of their way to drum up the opposite hype to purposefully hurt the movie. And when the movie does well... there's a lot of sour grapes.

Those who simply said, "eh, doesn't look good, so I won't go" are not the echo chamber I was referring to so glibly as the Interneteratti.

Mike S

They can not like it. No one is saying they can't. If everyone in the world loved it but you, that's OK.

But to predict the movie will flop based on trailers because they themselves don't like the trailers and then to jump to the internet posting memes making fun of this sure-fire flop... and to do so in such a degree that it makes everyone suddenly drop their expecations of the movie... well, that makes them look... bad. They went out of their way to drum up the opposite hype to purposefully hurt the movie. And when the movie does well... there's a lot of sour grapes.

Those who simply said, "eh, doesn't look good, so I won't go" are not the echo chamber I was referring to so glibly as the Interneteratti.
Who exactly has sour grapes now? Any of these people if they’re rational will just see they were wrong about it being a flop and move on.

If you’re talking about a small minority, don’t. Let the internet forget about them as it should be. You talk about them, they talk about you, the cycle goes on and on. I learned this over the past year or so and changed some of my behavior because of it. I now only wish to speak to the rationally minded and focus solely on the points I wish to make rather than taking personal pot shots.

Tony Perkis

A Quiet Place: B+
Aliens: A
Silence of the Lambs: A-
Halloween 2018: B+
Halloween Resurrection: B+

But in the end, I explained why certain scores don't meet expectations. If an audience that wants to see a horror film show up opening weekend and then don't give it good reviews and say they wouldn't recommend it to friends, that speaks to the general quality of horror films, namely, the people who like the genre don't give the horror movie they just saw a good review. There is not a problem in the methodology because someone thinks there should be more horror films with high CinemaScores. Good horror films are just not abundant.

You’re actually proving Animaniac’s point entirely.

He said that CinemaScore tends to overinflate audience reaction, except for horror films. Horror films are far and away the most subjective films, due to people having widely different views on what scares them and general lack of originality within the genre. Therefore, you see a plethora of varying scores.

Though I find it interesting that you brought up Halloween Resurrection, which is almost universally considered a terrible film. If I accepted the notion that singular films dictate trends, that film would support the idea that CinemaScore is unreliable and has inflated ratings.

That said, you keep listing what are largely considered the best the genre has to offer. Those are great films that have high rating across all ratings systems. They don’t prove your point about the genre collectively. That’d be like me saying science fiction films are bad because Attack of the Clones sucked.

jt04

Disney is jinxed on Memorial Day Weekend. Wrong.
Will Smith is past his prime. Wrong.
People are tired of life action remakes of animated classics. Wrong.
Nobody could tackle the iconic Robin Williams role and reimagine it successfully. Wrong.
Guy Ritchie can't direct a main stream Disney hit. Wrong.
The original score couldn't be matched or in some cases surpassed. Wrong.

I'm sure there are more. But no need.

Mike S

Nobody could tackle the iconic Robin Williams role and reimagine it successfully. Wrong.

This is all subjective though except for money being made unless you’re claiming to be some sort of supreme authority.

Tony Perkis

Nobody made this inane claim.

I am as well, but the music is good enough to warrant an $8 ticket.

Already proven on Broadway.

He hasn’t directed a good film since Snatch.

This post reads as oddly personal vindication.

Last edited:

jt04

I am as well, but the music is good enough to warrant an $8 ticket.

Already proven on Broadway.

He hasn’t directed a good film since Snatch.

This post reads as oddly personal vindication.

I read in more than one place the claim that Disney movies released on Memorial Day were doomed. It is and soon was an internet trope. Since you got that so wrong I didn't waste anytime continuing taking your response as a serious discussion..

Tony Perkis

I read in more than one place the claim that Disney movies released on Memorial Day were doomed. It is and soon was an internet trope. Since you got that so wrong I didn't waste anytime continuing taking your response as a serious discussion..
I wasn’t expecting a serious discussion from you in the first place, so my position hasn’t changed.

Fox&Hound

Saw "Aladdin" tonight and we loooooooooved it. By far my favorite of the live action remakes they have done....Don't get me wrong: Will Smith is in no way Robin Williams and he didn't try to be- he was delightfully himself. The actors for Aladdin and Jasmine were excellent, the songs energetic, vibrant colors, and we just...loved it. It wasn't a rehash of the original but added elements that truly added to the story.

My list now looks like this:

Aladdin (A+)- Loved it
Cinderella (A+)- totally unexpected- incredible
Jungle Book (B+)-wow, visually impressive and better than it should have been, but I don't really want to watch it again
Beauty and the Beast (C)- good moments, too much autotune, Gaston actor crushed it
Dumbo- (D)-had good moments, but overall did not come together as a cohesive film, awful child actors
Maleficent (F)- hot garbage

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I, too, saw Aladdin tonight and was very pleased. Will doesn't have Robin's frenetic comedic chops, but, he has swagger. Lots and lots and lots of swagger. Robin's Genie was full of self-aware need-for-approval issues, much like Robin himself. So, different direction, but, worked very well.

IMO

Tick Tock

Will Smith did a great job as the genie, IMO.
Will Smith is in no way Robin Williams and he didn't try to be- he was delightfully himself.
Will doesn't have Robin's frenetic comedic chops, but, he has swagger. Lots and lots and lots of swagger.
I too thought Will was the right fit for the role, and he did the iconic character justice. He did his own thing, and made the character his interpretation, not trying to create a Robin Williams version 2.0.
With as much chaos that erupted when the first teaser of Will's Genie was revealed, I think he swiftly put any and all fears to rest that he was the right actor for the job lamp.

BrianLo

Aladdin is my personal nostalgic renaissance film of choice. The one I watched the most frequently and I think our first real Disney VHS.

I was pretty down on it with the marketing campaign, the critical response, etc. etc. I actually only went to see it because I heard audiences were into it...

I'm on the audience side here. I really liked it... maybe because my expectations were low.

I liked all the actors. Naomi and Will were obvious standouts. But I thought Aladdin held his own.

I kind of wonder how the holds will be, since the opening hype has obviously been very quelled by a losing marketing campaign/internet battle. But I think word of mouth will do wonders here.

Bartledvd

Honestly from the trailers we had very little hope for Aladdin but we have unlimited cards for the cinema near us so we watch pretty much everything.

We really enjoyed it only compliant we had was visually during the opening scene it looked like someone pressed fast forward on the movie.

For me i try not to compare remakes of films and just take them as they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom