PotC mist screen removed/turned off for good

bjlc57

I am sorry to go against the grain but I loved the effect.. in fact even now when I am at home.. I think about that effect FIRST and then the rest of the ride.. I really will miss this .. REALLY WILL MISS THIS..

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Just gotta get out...

Just gotta get right out of here...

Mist screen felt like it was added for the sake of jamming movie IP into the ride based on the movie, thus changing some of the ride to match the movie based on the ride... it's head-spinning.

And DL's version is the original but mostly best version, while WDW's queue is better, and DLP's story flows better. IMHO, because I've ridden all three and haven't relied on internet videos before making comments.

bjlc57

I am sorry to go against the grain but I loved the effect.. in fact even now when I am at home.. I think about that effect FIRST and then the rest of the ride.. I really will miss this .. REALLY WILL MISS THIS..
wwow .. not one response all day.. it seems that I am the only one defending this effect.. wow...

bjlc57

yeah well there are a lots of other effects that aren't there either.. I just thought this was shocking the first time I saw it and it really hits home with me..

MerlinTheGoat

Disneyland is better. Period. Florida is a cliff notes version, paris is a better version of florida's short version, Tokyo's is a wannabe version of Disneyland's only with less impressive caves and. O waterfall at the end. And Shanghai does not even belong in this conversation since it is "The Ride based on the movie of the original ride". It is a completley different thing. And no, while I have not personally ridden them all, I have seen enough on ride videos to form an opinion.
The only similarity Florida and Paris have is they both take place in Adventureland and adopt a more tropical atmosphere, eschewing the New Orleans related theming. Other than that, they're very different. I've ridden the Florida and Paris versions in person, but even someone who has only seen videos of the rides should be able to see how different they are. In terms of the ride itself, Paris is at least about on par with Disneyland's in terms of content and quality. Arguably better in some ways.

Florida is heavily abridged in content. The restaurant and bayou are cut entirely, the ride starts in the (very short) cave grotto. Three of the skeleton scenes are missing, and it only has one drop. The gunpowder room and travel up the waterfall are cut. The ride ends after the prison, the unload replaces the gunpowder room, and the boat lift is backstage (with a speedramp as the transport back upstairs). It's just lesser and inferior to Disneyland all around. The only alteration I like in Florida is the drop being used to transition between the cave and ship battle. But that hardly makes up for everything else.

Paris' scene order is vastly different from all the others, but it still effectively matches Disneyland's content. The restaurant is rethemed to a tropical lagoon with shipwrecks instead of a New Orleans bayou. The boat lift is after this, transporting you up a shaft into the fortress WHILE it's being attacked. The prison is relocated to here, and it has additional details even beyond Disneyland. Barrels are floating in the water with a cat on top, pirates are swinging from above trying to break in. The first drop sends you into the middle of the battle, and the town scenes play out like Disneyland does. Again some extra scenic touches here and there such as the sword fighting animatronics. The gunpowder room is no longer its own separate space, but set details and figures from it are instead split up and merged into the prison and burning town scenes. The second drop at the end of the town transports you down into the caves, the scenes cut from Florida are included here.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom