News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

drod1985

InsistentUnfinishedBlacklab-size_restricted.gif

DLR>WDW

Man, I hope we get some form of entertainment or streetmosphere in Black Spire Outpost/Resistance forest. Anything (auditions, schedules, etc) pointing towards this?

RescueTheDay

Man, I hope we get some form of entertainment or streetmosphere in Black Spire Outpost/Resistance forest. Anything (auditions, schedules, etc) pointing towards this?

Most entertainment for the land has been put on hold due to how crowded they expect it to be. Expect some roaming Stormtroopers and maybe other roaming characters like Buena Vista Street.

lumberguy5

Old Mouseketeer

That seems unlikely considering what I saw and experienced when working at other parks, including at WDW. In every case I saw, working at the new ride- especially something the size of SWGE- was in high demand and considered a prestigious, and coveted, spot to get. Those employees who got the spots to open a new ride or experience (and especially the big ticket ones) were considered among the best employees because of some of the demands of opening a new ride, and who doesn't want to be considered among the best?

When I was at BGT, SDC and several times at WDW I saw employees/ CM's disappointed and upset they didn't get selected to open a new ride/ area. And with something with the "coolness" factor of Star Wars, I can't imagine that it is an area they're trying to avoid.

I have heard some secondhand information about what CMs in SW:GE are facing. We are all familiar with how CMs at various attractions use themed language and act "in character" to various degrees. And we have many favorites at different attractions (I still miss the Pirate with the real pegleg--THAT'S theming!).

Someone who knew CMs in SW:GE told me that the expectation of themed behavior is more intense than anything we have ever seen. They are training CMs not just to say "Bright Suns" or direct people to the "refresher", but to deny the existence of Disneyland and remove upset guests out of earshot of other guests to avoid "breaking the fourth wall" as they say in theater. The rumor is that the pressure on CMs is to carry this to an unprecedented degree.

Remember, while many aspects of the land are comparable to Avatar/Pandora, what is not comparable is the broad control/influence of Lucasfilm and Marvel on the use of their properties in Disney Parks. Pandora is constrained by a contract with specific terms. But Marvel and Star Wars are controlled by the two studios "ownership" of their brand, which is supported by Disney corporate the same as Disney and Pixar Studios.

I have had CMs tell me directly that it is a challenge to transfer to SW:GE--they lose seniority, status, and stability they have gained over time. This can include working lead and trainer status, choice of days off, preferred shifts, and favorite locations. They have to start from scratch learning new locations and give up everything familiar, including the logistics of operating in a large resort--from parking to costuming to calculating transit times and even where to eat or go to the "refresher". Opening a new land and two E-ticket attractions is prestigious and exciting. But there is also a lot of unpredictability and uncertainty. It can mean giving up some familiar advantages.

In short, there are many trade-offs. I have a friend who opened some big stuff in the theme park and tourism industry when they were much younger and had some fantastic experiences. I also know someone who had a horrible experience opening one of Disneyland's recent summer promotions under an incompetent manager that was poorly planned and painful for the opening crew. It resulted in several CMs transferring or leaving the company, including some working leads.

From what I can see, Disney is moving into some uncharted territory. They are attempting a level of theming that is at least as immersive as Harry Potter with two of the most complex attractions every built. I have heard some great things about some of the people involved. But I also hear that there are significant challenges.

Old Mouseketeer

Most entertainment for the land has been put on hold due to how crowded they expect it to be. Expect some roaming Stormtroopers and maybe other roaming characters like Buena Vista Street.

Well, Disney has made references to a familiar furry character being in and around the Millenium Falcon. My Bothan spies report that there are now plans for some kind of character presence. I hear there will only be characters we have already seen (think Launch Bay) plus one new character role and there have been auditions notices posted for that. Don't know what it is.

I would guess Chewie and Stormtroopers. Maybe Phasma and Kylo. Not sure about Rey. I had heard rumors of some aliens with automated heads and voices, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I suspect there will be some flexibility for this summer. Remember, they will have a three week trial with controlled crowds.

There have been so many rumors I'm not sure what to expect. I guess we'll find out.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Well, Disney has made references to a familiar furry character being in and around the Millenium Falcon. My Bothan spies report that there are now plans for some kind of character presence. I hear there will only be characters we have already seen (think Launch Bay) plus one new character role and there have been auditions notices posted for that. Don't know what it is.

I would guess Chewie and Stormtroopers. Maybe Phasma and Kylo. Not sure about Rey. I had heard rumors of some aliens with automated heads and voices, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I suspect there will be some flexibility for this summer. Remember, they will have a three week trial with controlled crowds.

There have been so many rumors I'm not sure what to expect. I guess we'll find out.
it's not really a trial. it is the opening of the land but they are controlling it so it does not go over capacity. make no mistake, that land will be at capacity the entire time. it is not going to be like 100 people at a time or something. there will be shoulder to shoulder room only. Disney wants to pack 'em in but not overflow it which would have happened if they did not have the reservation system. the land is going to be very packed mark my words

Old Mouseketeer

it's not really a trial. it is the opening of the land but they are controlling it so it does not go over capacity. make no mistake, that land will be at capacity the entire time. it is not going to be like 100 people at a time or something. there will be shoulder to shoulder room only. Disney wants to pack 'em in but not overflow it which would have happened if they did not have the reservation system. the land is going to be very packed mark my words

You raise an interesting question. We don't really know where Disney has set the bar. You could be right--Disney might have set the number of reservations at a level that will be "shoulder-to-shoulder" with the intent of preventing dangerously unsafe levels of crowding. IMO, this is not unplausible. They could also have set levels that would allow more breathing room in order to finetune operations during this trial period. In that case it would be more of an enhanced soft opening. This would give them more latitude to test their theming and immersive behavior practices.

I think it will be interesting to see where they set the bar. There are a lot of trade-offs. If they limit reservations too stringently, they off more people. If they let too many people in, they limit their ability to learn from what is essentially a test and adjust period.

I can't say my conjecture is better than yours. I really can't claim that I can predict what their calculation is. I think it will be interesting to see.

Animaniac93-98

Found this tweet from earlier this year. It's the MGM-Studios opening in the photo, but it does underscore how long its taken for Disney to build something of this scale for Star Wars in their parks (over 30 years):

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

You raise an interesting question. We don't really know where Disney has set the bar. You could be right--Disney might have set the number of reservations at a level that will be "shoulder-to-shoulder" with the intent of preventing dangerously unsafe levels of crowding. IMO, this is not unplausible. They could also have set levels that would allow more breathing room in order to finetune operations during this trial period. In that case it would be more of an enhanced soft opening. This would give them more latitude to test their theming and immersive behavior practices.

I think it will be interesting to see where they set the bar. There are a lot of trade-offs. If they limit reservations too stringently, they **** off more people. If they let too many people in, they limit their ability to learn from what is essentially a test and adjust period.

I can't say my conjecture is better than yours. I really can't claim that I can predict what their calculation is. I think it will be interesting to see.
you keep calling it a trial or a soft opening. it is neither. this is it. this is the opening of the actual land. the land is done and ready for guests minus RISE OF THE WANA BE REBELS. The reservation system is just to make sure it does not go over capacity. this is the opening.

Old Mouseketeer

you keep calling it a trial or a soft opening. it is neither. this is it. this is the opening of the actual land. the land is done and ready for guests minus RISE OF THE WANA BE REBELS. The reservation system is just to make sure it does not go over capacity. this is the opening.

My bad. I shouldn't have fed the troll. I know better. Really.

DLR>WDW

1Happy, Old Mouseketeer brings up some great points here and don’t know why you’re so quick to disagree. Both sides they brought up make sense, yet you think only one can happen. I’d just take a step back and look at it from a different angle for once. Also, if it’s going to be shoulder-to-shoulder, why even use the reservation system?

The_Mesh_Hatter

It’s her https://www.starwars.com/news/galaxys-edge-black-spire-vi-moradi-cover-reveal

Hawg G

Pretty accurate to what my group and I experienced. A few things I wanted to add:

- the Hondo AA wasn’t working. The CM in the pre-show room pushed a button, left the room, came back and realized it never worked, then pushed something else, and an alternate pre-show played on the screens.

- Gunner seemed like the most popular position among the groups riding. Pilot is fun, but you don’t really participate in any action like the Gunner does.

- The position assigning was completely random. After the pre-show, we were directed down a narrow hallway and were practically in a single file line and the CM at the end of the line was quickly handing out cards with our assigned color and position. Didn’t seem like there was any particular method to this.

- The line moves VERY QUICK with no Fastpass holding back the standby queue. This will be nice during the first few months of operation.

But, wait. This is FLYING THE FALCON. You mean the pilot really doesn't do much, and doesn't REALLY impact the ride progress. Wow, who would have ever thought, and posted that...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom