Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster to be Re-Themed?

MickeyMouse10

Yeah, I don't get how they can put VR goggles on people riding a fast rollercoaster. That sounds like a major lawsuit waiting to happen. We already have to deal with jerks who bring cameras and selfie sticks on.

Marc Davis Fan

A retheme is one of several possibilities being contemplated at the moment. There’s quite a few different options proposed.

May I ask if these possibilities seem like they’ll avoid messing up the aesthetics of Sunset Blvd / the area in front of ToT? Or is the perfect theming and immersion of those areas in some jeopardy?

Disney Maddux

After seeing Endgame last night, I wish Disney could do the Avengers coaster here as well. No breaking up theming by having a SHIELD headquarters on Sunset Boulevard. Darn Universal!
How to make that flawlessly fit in:

The queue line is like a Marvel museum, and you're waiting in line for a meet-n-greet with the cast of the newest Avengers film.

The pre-show is the main cast all goofing around and having a good time, but suddenly the Russo Brothers come in and tell them of how they're all needed at the premiere to surprise the audience. And of course, they're heading there in a SHIELD-themed limo. But they'd like all of you to come along as well, so they prepare the second SHIELD limo for you to ride in and quickly get to the premiere!

And the back alley/boarding station is mostly the same, but now ya got Marvel banners everywhere, and the Rock-N-Roll screen is playing an MCU montage, and for the takeoff, the Marvel logo powers up and once it's finished, you blast off.

DeletedAccount55555

Has VR on coasters worked well anywhere?

It was quite the fad a few years ago, but since then it seems most parks have ditched VR (like SeaWorld Orlando did less than a year after installing the headsets on Kraken).

Makes feel sorry for all the companies exhibiting at IAAPA still touting it as the next big thing.

dothebrdwalk

How to make that flawlessly fit in:

The queue line is like a Marvel museum, and you're waiting in line for a meet-n-greet with the cast of the newest Avengers film.

The pre-show is the main cast all goofing around and having a good time, but suddenly the Russo Brothers come in and tell them of how they're all needed at the premiere to surprise the audience. And of course, they're heading there in a SHIELD-themed limo. But they'd like all of you to come along as well, so they prepare the second SHIELD limo for you to ride in and quickly get to the premiere!

And the back alley/boarding station is mostly the same, but now ya got Marvel banners everywhere, and the Rock-N-Roll screen is playing an MCU montage, and for the takeoff, the Marvel logo powers up and once it's finished, you blast off.
Not exactly what i had in mind.....

RSoxNo1

It's tough to find a relevant band that stands the test of time and doesn't want an arm and a leg for their services.
Best evergreen idea I've heard is Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. However, we're thinking about this as if it needs to carry the music/band theme. It's a coaster with on ride audio, by no means does that have to be themed to a single band or even a band at all.

Last edited:

dothebrdwalk

Best ever green idea I've heard is Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. However, we're thinking about this as if it needs to carry the music/band theme. It's a coaster with on ride audio, by no means does that have to be themed to a single band or even a band at all.
I just don't think this Muppets idea is so great. Yes it'd be cool for fans, but honestly the Muppets are (unfortunately) just not as popular anymore. Especially for minor side characters like this. You honestly think this is main stream enough for Disney to do a whole marketing campaign and really excite people to come into the park? I honestly do not.

Has VR on coasters worked well anywhere?

It was quite the fad a few years ago, but since then it seems most parks have ditched VR (like SeaWorld Orlando did less than a year after installing the headsets on Kraken).

Makes feel sorry for all the companies exhibiting at IAAPA still touting it as the next big thing.

Cedar Point is still doing it on their Iron Dragon roller coaster. Its an older, slower, (kind of lame) coaster, but the VR breathed a little bit of new life into it. It also greatly slows down the operation and creates a line for a ride that rarely had one. I don't think it would work well on a Disney ride that often already has a significant wait time.

trainplane3

Cedar Point is still doing it on their Iron Dragon roller coaster. Its an older, slower, (kind of lame) coaster, but the VR breathed a little bit of new life into it. It also greatly slows down the operation and creates a line for a ride that rarely had one. I don't think it would work well on a Disney ride that often already has a significant wait time.
Are they doing it this year? I know they did it for the past couple years (3 years?) but I haven't seen any sort of mention about it for this year. Never done VR because it's not used during Halloween. I agree with it probably not working out in Disney because of the extra stress it adds to operations.

I will defend Iron Dragon though. It's a boring but unique ride. There's only a few of it's kind left and somehow Cedar Fair still has all of their models still running.

Are they doing it this year? I know they did it for the past couple years (3 years?) but I haven't seen any sort of mention about it for this year. Never done VR because it's not used during Halloween. I agree with it probably not working out in Disney because of the extra stress it adds to operations.

I will defend Iron Dragon though. It's a boring but unique ride. There's only a few of it's kind left and somehow Cedar Fair still has all of their models still running.

I am not positive, as they have not opened for the season yet, but they have done it the last 2 years and I didn't hear any news of it being discontinued, but who knows I suppose.

begood524

So the Parks Blog said that they'll be announcing some things during their live stream of the new show on the Chinese Theater. How likely is it that it's an announcement of RNRC's retheme?

kthomas105

I know that the average lifespan of a steel coaster varies based on upkeep, design and lots of other factors but part of me wonders if RnRC might have a shorter lifespan due to the way in which it was constructed. I'm sure there is a way to replace worn track but is it worth the trouble? Remember RnRC was built first and then the building was built around it. This is opposite of what Disney is currently doing with GotG at EPCOT. If it is too expensive to reimagine/update I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't just rip it out and start over with something brand new. This is basically what they did with the GMR. And it would give them the option to open up that side of Sunset more and incorporate Sunset Ranch expansion plot in an over-arching redevelopment the way it was originaly intentioned for the Roger Rabbit section.

FigmentFan82

Love me some RnRC, but it seems the inevitable change is coming. Decriers of nostalgia, your pleas are most liekyl going to fall on deaf ears. Less a question of if than when. Aerosmith had their time to shine, but it's time to put them out to pasture. As a big fan of the Muppets Dr.Teeth and Electric Mayhem would be suppurb re-theme in my book. I woul;dn't put it past them to try something Pixar though, as that brand is hugely popular.

matt9112

I know that the average lifespan of a steel coaster varies based on upkeep, design and lots of other factors but part of me wonders if RnRC might have a shorter lifespan due to the way in which it was constructed. I'm sure there is a way to replace worn track but is it worth the trouble? Remember RnRC was built first and then the building was built around it. This is opposite of what Disney is currently doing with GotG at EPCOT. If it is too expensive to reimagine/update I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't just rip it out and start over with something brand new. This is basically what they did with the GMR. And it would give them the option to open up that side of Sunset more and incorporate Sunset Ranch expansion plot in an over-arching redevelopment the way it was originaly intentioned for the Roger Rabbit section.

likely has a far greater life span assuming stress of operation is normal since it isnt affected by the elements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom