Pre-Trip Run, Chickie! RUN!!!

It's been a while since I've had a trip report or a pre-trip report on here. I am still on a Disney break with the family, but I've had some major changes over the last 9.5 months and have decided to treat myself with my first ever RunDisney trip. I've been wanting to start a PTR for a while now, but I didn't want to jinx things. I mean, how awful would it have been to start a PTR just to get shut out of race registration?!?!? Well, I can rest easy with that part right now since registration was yesterday and I got both of the races I wanted!!! WOOHOO!

33748429948_9aa96b4c87_z.jpg

For those that haven't read my previous TRs, I'm Sandy (but you can call me Chickie :D )...

32683048417_d0bcab59ec_z.jpg

If you read my December 2017 trip report, you might recall that I had a number of pain and mobility issues. Rock bottom (well, the Disney portion of it) was being in Epcot and not being able to keep up with my family because I was in so much pain. I still look back on those tears and remember the fear that I might be in a scooter next time I visit if I can't get this turned around. I went home and vowed to get past all of this, but it would be another 6+ months before I got real with myself. I'm going to spare you all of the details, but I realized it was my weight that was the problem. I've been a yo-yo most of my life, so I had to come to terms with what does and doesn't work for me. I took a lot of things out of my diet that made me out of control and in the process, I discovered some food intolerances. I've also always loved exercise, so once some of the pain subsided, I got back into regular workouts.

So, it's been a little over 9 months and I'm already down 93 pounds! I still have a bit to go before I hit my first two big weight goals, but I'm getting close and I wanted something to celebrate...so I came up with this idea of doing some Disney races. I ran a half marathon in 2015 and while it was a huge accomplishment, I've decided that I really don't enjoy the longer distance things. So, I signed up for the 5k and the 10k in January 2020!!! And I'm not bringing my family!!! A Disney-loving work friend is going to come with me instead. I haven't had a girls trip anywhere since 2013 and I haven't been to WDW with a friend since the 1990s, so this is big!

All I know so far is-

When: January 8-12, 2020 (definitely flying)
Who: Me & Friend (don't know yet if she wants her name in here)

What's iffy-

Lodging: I definitely want to be onsite, but that's all I know. The only non-Disney spot I'm thinking about is the Swan. Rates are decent, beds are great, location is a major plus, and we can easily walk to YC or BW for the RunDisney designated buses. BUT...I'd kind of like a Disney resort. I missed certain things when we stayed at the Swan last trip. After that...I'm kind of all over the place. Part of me wants to splurge...part of me wants to be conservative...part of me wants an old favorite...part of me wants to try something new. ALL of me wants a comfy bed. I've always liked the beds at the monorail resorts and the Epcot resorts, but the beds we had at WL and AKL were too firm for me and the beds we had at POR (all of our rooms for our group) were just bad. I've never stayed in a value because for family trips, DH and I can't handle anything smaller than a queen and we haven't been as a family since they completed the renos at Pop with the queens. I'm also pretty claustrophobic, so smaller rooms don't work well for me (yes...I'm a MESS!). 2020 won't open up until late June/early July...so I've got time to weigh out a million pros and cons!

Dining: I'm not a big fan of any of the plans and my friend only likes it when going with her family, so no dining plans for us. We also would like some spontaneity, so I'm only going to be booking a few ADRs. We both want to try Skipper Canteen and their standard menu seems to work well for my dietary issues. I'd also like a celebratory meal with a view for one of the nights...Narcoosee's has more standard menu options that would work for me, but I prefer the setting of California Grill. I'm torn over Jiko vs. Sanaa. I love Sanaa and know they have some things that will work for me, but I've always wanted to try Jiko. I figure we also need one character meal. I'm leaning towards a breakfast...but not sure which one I want to do. With the exception of the new one at WL, I've done them all and have some strong opinions. So, I may just let the characters be the deciding factor.

Cake: You know I can't have a Disney trip without cake! The problem...I can no longer eat the Disney cakes. I am thinking about ordering one from Erin McKenna's, but they are just not fun. So, I'm thinking about getting a mini one for my friend and hope that she's not weirded out about having cake while I just take pics of it.

Costumes: I'm fairly certain that we're going with an Alice in Wonderland theme for the 5k. My friend is leaning towards the Mad Hatter and I'm going to get over my concerns with horizontal stripes and be the Cheshire Cat. Still, we have so much time that we could change our minds. The 10k is just me and I'm more uncertain on this. I've seen some really cool Small World stuff that also looks comfy, but I also saw some fun Tiki Room things. IF I could find anything Donald Duck that I really liked, that would probably win. And while fit and comfort are most important, I'm hoping to find a couple of pairs of decent joggers to coordinate with the respective costumes. It'll probably mean a trip to one of my local running shops for a fitting since I'm not in love with the Hokas and Asics I'm in right now. Oh how I hate it when companies come out with new versions of your favorite shoe or totally discontinue it altogether.

Park Time: Planning on 2-day hoppers, but my friend is not into thrill rides. We also both really like Star Wars stuff, but not sure how much of SGE we want to try and experience this time around since the crowds are sure to be insane. i.e. maybe save the bulk of it for later trips with our families.

That's really all I've got for now, but I'll be updating this thread as more details fall into place. Heck, I'm still not even sure the best way to link everything together since I've always traveled with family. It's going to be an adventure for me just figuring all of this new stuff out! :)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I’ve been running in Brooks the last couple of years (is it Launch?). There’s a lot less variety over here and way fewer colors. My first pair of Brooks are pretty old and well worn so I’ll need to replace them soon - I may see what’s available in Asics - the one pair I had previously I really liked.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I love my Hoka's for walking...not so much running. I have found that as I have gotten older that I am allergic to running...unless I'm being chased. ;)
tenor.gif

LOL :hilarious: Yeah, I haven't tried to do a lot of running in mine. My friend loves his, but that rocker technology takes some getting used to. I felt like they were going to rock me right down the stairs the first time I wore them.

I’ve been running in Brooks the last couple of years (is it Launch?). There’s a lot less variety over here and way fewer colors. My first pair of Brooks are pretty old and well worn so I’ll need to replace them soon - I may see what’s available in Asics - the one pair I had previously I really liked.

I have seen the Launch, but never owned a pair of them. I've had three different kinds of Brooks...Ghost, Glycerine, and Adrenaline. The Adrenaline were a complete mistake. I supinate and they are really meant for people who overpronate. That was the last time I used those people for fitting! I find that all of them were just too narrow for me and Brooks has a nasty habit of really bland color options in their wide shoes. Which is all kind of funny, since I'm not normally a wide. I know my feet swell a bit when I run/walk so I size up, but Brooks is really the only brand where I think I'd have to get a wide shoe as well. I usually start busting out of the sides when I hit around 100 miles on them...which is just unacceptable.

I will say that some of mine were very pretty though...especially these Glycerines from spring 2015.

16993550449_717bb0364f_z.jpg

I wonder if any of the sites we use over here will do reasonable international shipping? I sometimes get fitted in a run shop, but turn to online suppliers to get better colors/prices.

joshsprincess921

I completely agree with you on the color options that are available in the Brooks wide shoes. I buy Brooks because they are the most comfortable I've found for me, but I have to get the wide and I get so mad when the ones that I like do not come in wide.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I completely agree with you on the color options that are available in the Brooks wide shoes. I buy Brooks because they are the most comfortable I've found for me, but I have to get the wide and I get so mad when the ones that I like do not come in wide.

At the end of the day, having a well designed, high quality shoe that feels good is the most important thing. If they push me towards a Brooks shoe in a wide, I will go with it, but I will miss the fun and vibrant colors of the M width options. I once tried men's joggers because sometimes they get better colors than the women and normally run a bit wider than a woman's shoe. I don't know if it was all in my head, but they never felt right and I stopped using them for walks and running. Ultimately, I'm hoping I can find two winners from their recommendations because I really like to have at least two sets of running shoes.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Little update...

Yesterday, I went through Galloway's info and put together my training plan. Still debating about adding his app to my phone. I also downloaded the guide for my old GPS watch so I can figure out more of the functions this week.

Today, I went to get fitted for new joggers. It was really interesting to see all of the things from my foot readings, but apparently, this is also why my feet are misleading. My resting feet make me look like an overpronator, but when you see me walk and look at my tread wear, I clearly supinate. Thankfully, they looked at all of this. I tried on about 10 different pairs of shoes...Brooks, Saucony, New Balance, and Mizuno shoes were all in the mix.

And the winner....

32832445897_a9e9c96efe_c.jpg

So, I'm back in a pair of Brooks Glycerin. There were a few other good ones in the bunch, but these were the clear winners. I was hoping for better colors, but the only other color currently offered that I like is white with copper accents...and I really hate it when my joggers look filthy...and it won't be long before that color combo will be a mess. So, I went with this grey and aqua pair. She said they are expecting new colors to be launched for this version in the next couple of months, so maybe pair 2 will involve bolder color schemes. Also trying out some new socks. I have a $15 reward for this purchase, so I can buy another pair of whichever I like with my reward.

Next week, I'll be getting myself together with some other gear and plans so I can start training the following week.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I hope you like the feetures - unfortunately for me, the only time I have ever gotten a blister from running was when wearing feetures ☹. My (limited) experience is that, just like shoes, you have to find the running sock that works for you; luckily for me the brand/model that works for me is easy to find here.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I hope you like the feetures - unfortunately for me, the only time I have ever gotten a blister from running was when wearing feetures ☹. My (limited) experience is that, just like shoes, you have to find the running sock that works for you; luckily for me the brand/model that works for me is easy to find here.

Out of curiosity, what socks do you like? I've seen several brands (including Feetures) that people like in my Facebook RunDisney group, but everyone is so different. I'm intrigued by Injinji, but I don't normally like toe socks and have had decent luck with Body Glide on my toes. Balega is the other brand I saw come up quite a bit. I had been using some Saucony, Asics, and New Balance socks, but each had their own issues.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I wasn’t asked but ive been following. Ive been putting in the miles for years and IMO Swiftwick are the best. Never got a blister with them and they do an amazing job of keeping things dry. They are great for trail or road.
I wear Falke RU4 running socks (the short ones). No fancy colors, but no blisters 😉

Thanks!!! I will definitely look into both if I'm not in love with these. Now to find shorts. I tend to prefer a longer bike style short. It looks like I'm going to be getting those online. Looks like we could be upper 80s next week.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Congrats on your weight loss and YAY for doing a Disney race!! I signed up for the 5k and 10k with my sister and mother and my sister and I also signed up for the half marathon! It'll be nice to see some fellow WDWMagic folks down there (even though I have hardly been on here in years! I'm sure the girls are so big now!!!) Can't wait to read all about it!! :)

Thanks! So good to see you on here again! I'm sure there will be quite a few of us there for the events, so hopefully we'll get to see a bunch of people. That'll be so much fun getting to run with your mom and sister. Yeah...the girls have grown up quite a bit. Hard to believe they were both in preschool when I did my first WDW TR. I think this is one of the most recent ones I have with the two of them together, and this is already over 4 months old! And of course it's a bit dark too. I think I was just using my phone and the restaurant was a bit dark.

46451982802_b7e94eb985.jpg

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
The last week has been so much drama with all of the weather here. Not sure if anyone has seen any of my posts in Chit Chat in the Working Out for Disney thread, but we really need the rain to stop. We did OK last night, but my nerves are so fried from Tuesday and last Friday and we are praying for the best with this next round. We already have some damage that's going to need attention, so just hoping for nothing catastrophic piled on top of it. We know people who flooded, lost their cars or have trees through their homes, so I'm thankful that's not us.

In an effort to ease my nerves, I've done some shopping in prep for me starting to train. Hey, I couldn't drink away my storm fears because of work, so shopping was my solution!

I like shorts for summer runs/walks, but I prefer them at bike length. I found these and I hope I like them. They are a couple of inches longer than I normally like, but it's better than capris or mid thigh length (for me).

I also decided to buy headphones. The topic has come up several times in my RunDisney FB group and a lot of people seemed to really like these AfterShockz. I guess you can hear your music/phone, but are also designed so you can hear everything going on around you too. Seems like the best of both worlds. A few other kinds were recommended, but the battery life wasn't enough for me to put in the $.

That's it for now.

PolynesianPrincess

The last week has been so much drama with all of the weather here. Not sure if anyone has seen any of my posts in Chit Chat in the Working Out for Disney thread, but we really need the rain to stop. We did OK last night, but my nerves are so fried from Tuesday and last Friday and we are praying for the best with this next round. We already have some damage that's going to need attention, so just hoping for nothing catastrophic piled on top of it. We know people who flooded, lost their cars or have trees through their homes, so I'm thankful that's not us.

In an effort to ease my nerves, I've done some shopping in prep for me starting to train. Hey, I couldn't drink away my storm fears because of work, so shopping was my solution!

I like shorts for summer runs/walks, but I prefer them at bike length. I found these and I hope I like them. They are a couple of inches longer than I normally like, but it's better than capris or mid thigh length (for me).

View attachment 371126View attachment 371127

I also decided to buy headphones. The topic has come up several times in my RunDisney FB group and a lot of people seemed to really like these AfterShockz. I guess you can hear your music/phone, but are also designed so you can hear everything going on around you too. Seems like the best of both worlds. A few other kinds were recommended, but the battery life wasn't enough for me to put in the $.

View attachment 371129

That's it for now.

Hope y'all made it through the storms alright! My apartment complex is right on Clear Creek and we thankfully didn't have any flooding this time.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hope y'all made it through the storms alright! My apartment complex is right on Clear Creek and we thankfully didn't have any flooding this time.

My MIL lives in Pearland and said they didn't see a drop of rain until Thursday evening. I feel like we've been rain/flood magnets ever since we moved to Kingwood. I thought 5/3 was bad, but 5/7 was a whole new level of weather drama. We have damage, but it's nothing compared to those that flooded or had trees go through their homes. Glad you guys didn't see any flooding.

PolynesianPrincess

My MIL lives in Pearland and said they didn't see a drop of rain until Thursday evening. I feel like we've been rain/flood magnets ever since we moved to Kingwood. I thought 5/3 was bad, but 5/7 was a whole new level of weather drama. We have damage, but it's nothing compared to those that flooded or had trees go through their homes. Glad you guys didn't see any flooding.

I've heard Kingwood always deals with a lot of flooding! Kingwood was definitely hit SUPER hard when Harvey came through. I was working for H-E-B at the time and I remember hearing that the Kingwood store was just destroyed from it. I live as far south in Houston as you can get, right on the League City border and we didn't get any rain til Thursday either.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I've heard Kingwood always deals with a lot of flooding! Kingwood was definitely hit SUPER hard when Harvey came through. I was working for H-E-B at the time and I remember hearing that the Kingwood store was just destroyed from it. I live as far south in Houston as you can get, right on the League City border and we didn't get any rain til Thursday either.

What's crazy is that we didn't see a bit of high water in part of KW during Harvey. Our friends live in the area behind the H-E-B and they took on something like 8'-9' of flood water during Harvey. A number of people felt that was from how that area was cleared for that whole shopping center, but I think the big culprit was the amount and timing of the water released up in Conroe. We own a small apartment complex down in Texas City, so I'm sure my hubby drives through your area when he has to go down there. They seem to be more of a wind storm risk. I know they sustained more damage during Ike back in 2008.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Training Update-

So, I went out on Sunday just to get a feel for things. I mean... new headphones, new shorts, new socks, new shoes, new approach. I just felt like I needed to test stuff before the start of my training plan. Not to mention that I haven't done any kind of distance work (running or walking) in a LONG LONG time. I was slow (got passed by TWO of DD10s friends' moms), but I wound up putting in a 5k and everything felt really good. The headphones are also great...I can hear the music and everything around me...so added safety. I have suffered from running induced asthma for most of my life, so it was amazing to get through something like this and not feel like I needed meds. Now, maybe it's because I'm in better shape, but still...it was a great feeling.

Fast forward to yesterday...my first official training run. I have to do the weekday ones after work (crosstraining in the morning before work). I forgot my phone charger, so by the time I got home, I didn't have enough of a battery to run the GPS on my phone for the training app. Sooooooo...I used my Garmin watch as best as I could and tried to follow what the app training plan for the day. I'm still scared of the asthma issues when trying to push myself, but I was faster yesterday compared to Sunday and while I let myself huff and puff a bit, it never felt like my lungs were shutting down. This is HUGE for me. According to the Garmin numbers, my pace was also 23 seconds faster than I was on Sunday. So, that's something! I also started working on cadence drills and gliding, which I can see being very beneficial in my overall training. My running playlist is HUGE since I'm a big music person (in general) and I never know what's going to inspire me on a given day. I mean, it could be metal, pop, dance, alternative, show tunes...who knows? But I think I'm going to start putting good stuff on repeat to see what it does for me.

I also learned a valuable lesson...DO NOT wear uncomfortable heels on a day when I'm running. I love heels and what I wore yesterday (see below) is far from the most extreme things I own, but some heels hurt my feet and legs more than others after hours and hours of wear. My feet were still pretty comfy as far as shoes and socks go (definitely prefer the cushion socks over the merino ones), but these lovely loafers added some fatigue and pain to my legs that I wasn't planning on for yesterday.

47800962992_ddedb73bc5.jpg

Next run on Thursday! I was going to do my first longer training run on Saturday before my weekend weight and abs work, but we got some bad news about my FIL on Monday and will be spending some time with him. I don't do dark b/c of greenbelt rules...as well as spiders and snakes, so Saturday will have to be a home gym day before going to visit and I'll run on Sunday.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Training Gear Update-

Hydration
So, I went out for a run yesterday and I was reminded that I live in Texas. :hilarious: 🌞🔥 I drank plenty of water leading up to the run...maybe even a bit too much. My tummy felt a bit waterlogged for a bit and I never felt quite right through any of it. The reality is that it gets hot here and while some people don't bring hydration for anything under 10 miles, they also may not be running in places where you start seeing 90 degree temps in March and April. Back in 2014 and 2015, I'd run with a bottle attached to my wrist for shorter run/walks and a belt for longer distances. I HATED the belt and the bottle just wasn't enough for really hot days or longer distances. Sure, it didn't help that I went out earlier than normal ... i.e. sun still pretty high in the sky and no early evening "cooling." So, pretty sunny and about 86-87 degrees with a 91 degree heat index. The only good part...humidity is lower as the day progresses.

I'm not ready to invest in a Camelbak because I'm not sure I'm going to like it, so I'm trying this cheap knock off first that got good ratings.

It's insulated, holds 2L of fluid, and has a pocket for "stuff," so hopefully this will help.

TRAINING APP

I bought the Galloway half marathon training app for my phone. The first thing I noticed is that it differs from the training plans on the RunDisney site. In a nutshell, it appears to be more intense. He does say in the beginning that he's designed the plan on the app for people who have already run a half and are looking to improve. I guess I fit that bill, but it still makes me nervous since I'm not sure if I'm up for this level of a training challenge...but I want to be! The plan on RunDisney only takes you over the 13.1mi mark once and it takes you to 14mi in week 16. The app plan has several high mileage days, but the one below is what scares me the most right now...

32925889357_b4fe559f5d.jpg

Obviously, if the app training is too much for me, I can train using the plan on the RunDisney site or I could even shift into these half plans after I get past POT races in Sept...especially as weather starts to cool here (which won't be a for a while). On the other hand, I'm feeling so empowered by all of this. I've never been able to run like this before and I'm sure I'd feel better about my training if I can make it through the app. And now that I have realized that I don't need to use the GPS and can just use my Garmin for tracking, I really want to use it. I mean, it's helpful how he talks through everything and I really like how it takes my music and helps set tempos.

Now if only all of the mold and mildew from the flooding would clear out. I felt OK during my run yesterday, but I had to bust out the nebulizer and do an albuterol treatment last night from all of the gunk I must have inhaled.

40900087573_31c9bf6f1f.jpg

Cute, right?

Next run is Sunday...something like 5.30mi. I was hoping to do it tomorrow, but we're going to visit my FIL...and hoping the weather doesn't get too awful.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Since my last post, I've run more, freaked out a bit (run group members helped pick me up), bought a few more things, researched a few more POT races, and have my hydration vest still sitting there ... waiting for me to figure it out.

So, let's start with the fun part...buying more stuff (and I'm not talking about the $$$$$ we're spending to buy stuff for flooding damage- new driveway gate motor going in as I type).

Glasses-

I love sunglasses, but I've never owned any that work well for exercise. I've been trying to run in the more forested spots of our town, but I will hit some sun and it's already very summery here, so I need something to protect my eyes...because I remember how much I hated that burnt eyeball feeling I got during my summer 2014 training. I went through posts on my run groups on FB and found several recommendations. I don't know if I'm going to like them or not, but I ordered a pair of Goodr glasses.

The color is called Swedish Meatball Hangover. If I hate them, they weren't crazy expensive ($25). I also bought them through Fleet Feet, where I had $15 in rewards. I then used RetailMeNot for a free shipping coupon code. In the end, they cost a little over $10 after tax. I can swing $10.

Socks-

I was really liking the Feetures High Performance Cushion, to the point that I bought a second pair BUT I'm prone to some blistering between my toes. I felt some irritation on Saturday after my run. At first, I thought it was the early stages of toenail loss (because I've been through that too), but it was just a blister pressing on the nail. My friend swears by Injinji for this issue, so I'm going to give them a try. They feel a bit strange, but I'm going to try them on a short run tomorrow.

Yeah...they look funky...

47905467381_d531278b61.jpg

POT Races-

I'm still hoping to do the Houston Astros/HPD Badges and Bases 10K at the end of September, but someone in one of my run groups reminded me of a 10K that's taking place in my town the week before. Of course, it's the same weekend as the University of Houston 10K I was looking at and I don't love the course, but it would be nice to have it right here and I guess other Disney runners are planning on it for POT. So I might even get to meet some other Disney peeps. Decisions!

The Mental Game-

I know it's early, but it's already getting to me...in several ways. For starters (and this is the stupid one), I like seeing boxes checked. I mentioned before about doing one of my training runs last week without the app. So, I did the run, but training for that day wasn't showing completed on the app because I wasn't using it. Sure, I could have just let it sit there and plan while I was doing other things, but noooooo...I felt like I was cheating by not running it (since it's more detailed than what I did). So, I ran it...and I turned the walk that followed it into a run/walk...and I don't even know why. So, what should have been a rest light walk day turned into 4.05 miles. And it wasn't a good run because my body wasn't ready and it was pretty warm...and to make it worse, I had a 5.30 mi run I needed to do the next day. So, it impacted my longer run for the next day. I was already going to be a bit overloaded because I knew I was going to have to do one of my shorter weekday runs on Monday because of our crazy schedule this week. So, needless to say, I was tired.

My pace didn't get any help from doing this, although, some of the kind people in my run group noted that the temps here are also to blame for some of that. They went on to note that getting in my required miles and keeping my run/walk ratio (which I made a bit more intense) was still big deal with the training, so I'm trying to focus on that and try not to get too discouraged by times while it's still warm. I've also been staying on top of my cross training. So, that's a plus as well. And with the pool now open, I've got back a nice way to relax my sore muscles.

Another group member gave me a very interesting idea on times and these Disney races. She apparently hangs back with the balloon ladies. She said at that point, there are usually no lines for the characters as everyone has run off in fear. Without the lines, you literally walk up, take a quick pic and you're right back with the balloon ladies. I'm not sure I want to go this route, but it sounded fun and relaxing! It's an idea!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom