Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoarderPhreak

WWWD? Why he'd have a smooth, cool Marlboro and tell you about Mutual of Omaha! 👍

jklakeview

Assuming this is a genuine question, the answer is that if you spend a whole day in MK,you are probably adding 2.5 miles of walking to your smoking-area visits (assuming 4 or 5 smokes in a 10-12 period) on top of the 6 miles you are probably already doing to tour the park over a full day, particularly as the train is not working at the moment because of construction, so you can't hitch a ride to the front of the park. This is just the MK. Similar distances will also apply at EPCOT and AK.

But they are also planning to implement this at the waterparks. Given that they are unlikely to let you exit with the rental towels wrapped around you, your choice as a smoker is to exit the park in your swimwear only or take a trip to your locker and get dressed every time you smoke. And again, over a full-day, for many smokers this may be 4 or 5 times in the course of a day.

Of course, you always have the choice of taking your business and money elsewhere.
Yes it was a genuine question. It was mainly asked because of people saying that they wouldn’t mind finding an area away from everyone in the corner of the parks. I just didn’t see the difference between going to the front of the park or a corner at the back of the park. I still don’t to be honest with you.

ImperfectPixie

Two weeks ago. People were still smoking at the Adventureland entrance. People were still smoking next to the Space Mountain bathrooms. They were still smoking all over Future World at Epcot. Perhaps those people are the ones you should cry to? They're probably the ones who created this horrible, traumatizing situation that smokers will have to endure. That's if they don't choose to protest the company by going elsewhere.
See, you're being insulting and condescending AGAIN. You just can't help yourself, can you?

I blame Disney for poor decision-making in their smoking area choices that have subjected those who hate smoke to the inevitable cloud (yes, I dislike it too) and the rule-breakers for making it come to the smoking ban.

I'm not crying to anyone. I will obey the rules, regardless of whether I like them or not and regardless of whether I think it was the right decision on Disney's part. But, I will ALWAYS insert myself into a conversation in which someone is being rude when others are doing their best to be polite.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Is this verified? Seems to me that simply having security roam the parks instead of standing around at the entrances would solve this.

From the Orlando Sentinel article today

At Walt Disney World parks, smoking enforcement will be up to employees, which is similar to how Disney handles it now, said Disney spokeswoman Erica Ettori. Disney doesn’t plan to punish visitors if they are caught breaking the rules.
Employees will politely ask smokers inside the parks to go to the designated area to light up outside the entrance. Visitors can return to the park when they are done smoking, although Disney is still working through the details of how they will be readmitted, Ettori said.

draybook

From the Orlando Sentinel article today

At Walt Disney World parks, smoking enforcement will be up to employees, which is similar to how Disney handles it now, said Disney spokeswoman Erica Ettori. Disney doesn’t plan to punish visitors if they are caught breaking the rules.
Employees will politely ask smokers inside the parks to go to the designated area to light up outside the entrance. Visitors can return to the park when they are done smoking, although Disney is still working through the details of how they will be readmitted, Ettori said.

Pretty dumb to put a policy into place and not have the cajones to back it up. Meh, whatever. Considering they can't figure out how to secure backstage places that have been explored many times, this is about par for the course if true.

ImperfectPixie

Ask me that same type of question about the size of seats on the Seven Dwarves Minetrain Coaster, or the size of the seats on Flights of Passage, or the size of the new seats in the preview theater in DHS.

Disney is making seats on new rides and refurbished rides smaller and smaller. I guess only small people are allowed in WDW?
I would also call that very discriminatory.

Calmdownnow

Yes it was a genuine question. It was mainly asked because of people saying that they wouldn’t mind finding an area away from everyone in the corner of the parks. I just didn’t see the difference between going to the front of the park or a corner at the back of the park. I still don’t to be honest with you.
If you are a smoker and you knew in advance where the designated smoking areas are you could plan a touring strategy (FPs/dining etc) that allowed you to minimize your walking path while still allowing you to smoke every couple of hours. The railroad helped because you could do one side of the MK (where one designated smoking areas was) then take it to the other side ( where the other smoking areas was) without it adding a mile or so to the foot-slog. You could then head back into the middle and do the activities there. Followed by a brief walk back to the original starting point to do some more FPs.

draybook

How, exactly, have I been wrong?

All I've done is offer my opinion, defend those you've been rude to, and make valid arguments, with one even backed up by the Oxford dictionary.

And here we are again, with insults.

That's not an insult. You said your friend claimed it was discrimination. I showed that it is not. My God, how many times does this need to be repeated. Also, those poor, defenseless posters that you've martyred yourself for aren't all innocent. Especially one from New York that likes flapping their gums due to the anonymity of the Internet.

Your friend was wrong. You were wrong. People still aren't supposed to smoke in the parks as of May 1st. If you don't like what I say, put me on ignore. Just like with smoking, debating with me is a choice.

draybook

If you are a smoker and you knew in advance where the designated smoking areas are you could plan a touring strategy (FPs/dining etc) that allowed you to minimize your walking path while still allowing you to smoke every couple of hours. The railroad helped because you could do one side of the MK (where one designated smoking areas was) then take it to the other side ( where the other smoking areas was) without it adding a mile or so to the foot-slog. You could then head back into the middle and do the activities there. Followed by a brief walk back to the original starting point to do some more FPs.

Dan Connor ran from the Magic Kingdom to Epcot so he could have a beer. I don't want to hear smokers complaining about a little walking...🆒

draybook

I think you are missing the point. A sensible business model does not try to add a 30% mark-up to the physical demands it is placing on its customers.

I think you're missing the reference used. I know we do a few miles every day in the parks and we don't usually get there until after 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Besides, isn't that precious nicotine worth a few extra steps? If folks are ready to skip their trip if they can't have it, I would think it's worth it.

Also, weren't you just trying to imply that I was lying about the last time I was there? I noticed crickets when I told you to check it out for yourself in the thread over yonder.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImperfectPixie

That's not an insult. You said your friend claimed it was discrimination. I showed that it is not. My God, how many times does this need to be repeated. Also, those poor, defenseless posters that you've martyred yourself for aren't all innocent. Especially one from New York that likes flapping their gums due to the anonymity of the Internet.

Your friend was wrong. You were wrong. People still aren't supposed to smoke in the parks as of May 1st. If you don't like what I say, put me on ignore. Just like with smoking, debating with me is a choice.
The Oxford dictionary disagrees with you in regards to the definition of discrimination, so you've shown nothing. You "think" I'm wrong because I disagree with you and the way you speak to others.

Even when you're wrong? That's almost admirable.
^^ That is a condescending remark made with the intent to make yourself feel superior. Sorry, but your inferiority complex is showing.

Lighten up, Francis.
Besides, isn't that precious nicotine worth a few extra steps?
^^ These are further condescending remarks.

Tanna Eros

I'm sorry that I only spoke for myself, but that's the only experience I had. For me, I can't see the gate as much of a problem.
Some people can put off smoking for a bit, some people can't.

Tanna Eros

I have some friends that have quit smoking, and confess they miss them. Perhaps it's best to understand some of the anger of some former smokers towards people who still smoke. If I see some people being snappish, I think maybe they just need a cig.

Last edited:

draybook

[Q

I've no idea what your reference was or who Francis is. Your link is to a 2013 trip. Are you telling me that was your last trip, or do you pop in more frequently and have just not noticed any changes? Regardless of when you last visited, you are very lucky that you can get value by only spending a few hours in the parks. Other people are saving money for a long time in order to visit the Disney parks and expect to spend a full day in the park without having to pop outside for a smoke.

Dan Conner is the dad from Roseanne. In their WDW episode, he ran to Epcot because he wanted a beer. In the News forum, you'll find the thread I posted at Epcot from the first week of this month. Again, lying about park attendence would be ridiculous.

Also, having a smoking section isn't guaranteed with admission. You're paying for access to the parks and the rides/attractions inside of them. The same thing that non-smokers are paying for. Suggesting otherwise is as ridiculous as saying that we stroller users are guaranteed stroller parking areas. Disney might try to cut them out completely, who knows? And if they do, we'll have a choice to make as smokers do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom